your first bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
runner said:
love the bike col...looks fantastic...remind me what it is :biggrin:

Raliegh scorpio,five gears, my first real road bike, I was still at school, it was after this the kalkoff coup de mond followed, loved those that much I ended up getting a second one.

Cubist

Still wavin'
My first bike was a girl's bike bought from a jumble sale. Once I had learned to ride it my dad did a swap with the girl down the road who had a boy's bike (it was deep red and single gear with a freewheel)

First proper bike was a Raleigh Olympus, 1976 vintage, blue 5 speed with a Brookes saddle. Awesome. That was converted with Cowhorn bars in about 1979 and was promptly stolen.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I think I had one of those chopper copies that got handed down to me as soon as I could ride well I got a Mongoose Californian (1985) for my christmas/birthday joint present (damn having a birthday in January!)...

My brother had an Ammaco Freestyler, we were the coolest kids in school untill Rory Jenkins got a Skyway!

Found a Pic here... even a few original frames for sale.... may be my next bike purchase! for my son obviously!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
OK maybe it wasn't quite a bike - but my tricycle:
2med1si.jpg

I can't really remember any of my bikes other than they were second hand and not cool in comparision to other peoples bikes (at least I didn't need to worry they would get nicked).

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
summerdays said:
2med1si.jpg

I can't really remember any of my bikes other than they were second hand and not cool in comparision to other peoples bikes (at least I didn't need to worry they would get nicked).

That looks just like my first trike. My parents have a photo of me on it which would have been in about 1968...

Christmas present when I was about 10. A big red Raleigh with white saddle and matching (metal) mudguards. It was a bit too big for me even with the saddle right down to start with, but in those days - in our house at least - bikes were like shoes: you grew into them!

ChrisKH

Guru
When I was about 3 (1966) I had a trike. Fixed wheel of course; in fact that's the last time I rode fixed.

summerdays said:
2med1si.jpg

Didn't stop them nicking my trike (Raleigh Chippy);) from the back garden as a 4 year old I was heartbroken :sad:

Cranky

Right, I'm talking about the 1960s here. My dad acquired an old singlespeed bike for me to learn to ride on. He repainted it with some paint he had lying around in the shed, a rather (dis)tasteful light turquoise IIRC. What I remember most was its unique frame shape which tells me it must have been an early version of a Pashley Paramount. I would love one of these bikes now for local rides, if only they made one in a large enough frame size for my 6'2".

I vaguely remember riding around our small garden on it, with Dad (as you do) running around after me holding the saddle. I also remember riding it along the pavement and trying to race a bloke on a 'real' bike on the road, wondering why he didn't have to pedal nearly as fast as I. The next thing I knew, I was over the handlebars and sprawled out on the pavement.

Ivan Ardon

Up to the age of 16 I had:

Tri-ang solid tyred / fixed gear / rod braked kids bike. Learned to ride down the garden path on that one.
Mk 1 Tomahawk. Outgrew that one.
Mk 1 Chopper. It was always slipping out of gear, ouch. I broke it by riding it three-up.
Raleigh twenty (my mum's). No money to replace the Chopper, so it was this or nothing. Metallic brown with a white vinyl seat, not cool as an 11 year old....
Grifter. Way cooler than the twenty, but made of cast lead.
Then my first road bike, a Puch Pursuit, which I sprayed lime green - great bike for a kid.

D-Rider

I think I might be cracking up....

My first bike was a Raleigh Rodeo, I'm sure of it! But when googling for a picture they don't look anything like the bike I had... It was blue and single speed and definitely NOT the sort of Tomahawk clone that comes up.....

This would be in the seventies..... or early eighties.... Did they reuse the name?

I'm quite traumatised by this!

Top Bottom