your first bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
anyone remember their first bike....mine was a dawes kingpin and acquired as an xmas pressie in 1967....didn't we all get a bike for xmas at some time :biggrin::smile::ohmy:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Mine was a Raleigh Mayflower. found some old pics a while back of it & posted one HERE
I did a google search on it & found 1 for sale, but it was £80 & the wrong colour :biggrin:

Mine was a Raleigh, I think it was a birdy. It was a bit like a small chopper, my brother had one of those till I inherited it. Unfortunately it got nicked; I'm probably a bit over the top on bike security now but touch wood Ive never had a bike nicked since.

No it was a chipper, something like this:
chipper.jpg

with a bit more googling I realised it was the smaller one a Chippy:
Chippy.jpg

So my first proper bike was the chopper.

I think my first was a Dawes which was nicked from outside my house in the 70's,then I got a Kalkhoff from Martins Mart,Leytonstone,which lasted into the early 80's.

col

Legendary Member
My first for going to school was a hurcules hunter, blue it was, I was ten at the time, then followed the raleigh scorpio five speed, then I got into the kalkoff coup de mond If i remember the name correctly, I was fifteen by then I think?

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
My first bike that I can remember was a 20" wheel Peugeot 10 speed road bike like this one
peugeotracer2.JPG

Despite going faster than all my mates, all I wanted was a BMX!

lazyfatgit

It was some sort of triang, with balloon tyres and a rod front brake. Must have been at least 3rd hand. Learned to ride just after 4th birthday.
Got an upgrade on 7th Xmas to a raleigh tomahawk.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
if i'm being really honest my first bike was not a kingpin but rather a bike my father found. I grew up in Northern Ireland surrounded by fields and open countryside. One day my dad came home and said "got a bike for you"...and he produced this old road bike that had been dumped in a ditch! I loved it...i painted it dark red...and put racing stripes on it...it was far too big for me..but as a young lad i did not care....i have a lasting memory of me playing an harmonic ( i kid you not ) on the bike ( no hands ) and and cycling along merrily....until the inevitable happened :biggrin: i fell off...ah what memories.....:biggrin::smile:

Top Bottom