Your first ever bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FBOAB

Gone into a maudling kind of mood today and was thinking back to my first ever bike when I was 'ikle. Mine was a second hand Royal Enfield single speed in royal blue with white tyres. It was passed down the family and, as the youngest, I inherited it last when I was about six or seven. I vaugely remember things like removing a sleve to drop oil onto the front and rear hubs via a little hole. It was great, even though everyone used to take the pee on their grifters and choppers. It was so origional; all the gold transfers were present and largely unmarked. It passed from me to a cousin who wrecked it by spraying it red with cheapo halfords rattlecans and replacing the tyres with 'off road' ones from the same source. Love to see some pics of one again. Ah nostalgia.

Anyway what are your first bike memories?

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
The oldest one I can remember was a blue Raleigh Wisp 10-speed (wow! 10 gears!) which I absolutely loved.

We moved house a year ago and I took it to the tip.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Mine was a hand me down raleigh chopper from my 2 cousins, to my brother to me which was knackered!

For my 8th birthday (1986) I got a Mongoose Californian BMX and was still riding it to school when I was doing my A Levels! My folks scrapped it about 12 - 13 years ago while I was at Uni.. I was not impressed!

My 1st bike was a Boxer. If I remember correctly it freewheeled, but you backpeddled to brake and there was only one brake lever (front) Why aren't singlespeeds set up this way?

I also had a Golden Mongoose BMX which I bought for £12. I thought I was so clever when I sold it for £40 a couple of years later. I really wish I had kept it!

The first I can remember (and probably my first) was a Raleigh Speedway. I then progressed on to something called a Trak Trail (or something similar). I'd love to find out more about the Trak Trail. It was a large Gold coloured bike which had a strange parallelogram type front suspension on it. Very heavy but I loved it. I don't have any pictures of it though..:laugh:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
magnatom said:
The first I can remember (and probably my first) was a Raleigh Speedway. I then progressed on to something called a Trak Trail (or something similar). I'd love to find out more about the Trak Trail. It was a large Gold coloured bike which had a strange parallelogram type front suspension on it. Very heavy but I loved it. I don't have any pictures of it though..:laugh:

The boy that used to come and stay with his grandparents for school holidays across the road had something that sounds like that! Was like a chunky cross between a bmx and a MTB gold/brown with springs under the seat too? cant remember the name... will plague my easter weekend if i dont find the name and a picture before 5pm!

Wigsie said:
The boy that used to come and stay with his grandparents for school holidays across the road had something that sounds like that! Was like a chunky cross between a bmx and a MTB gold/brown with springs under the seat too? cant remember the name... will plague my easter weekend if i dont find the name and a picture before 5pm!

Mmm. Can't remember about springs under the seat, but it might have had. I'm sure it was something like or similar to Trak Trail.

I suppose you could call it a cross between a bmx and a mountain bike. It certainly was chunky! :laugh::biggrin:

tyred

Legendary Member
The first was a hand-me-down mini chopper replica from a cousin. I don't remember much about it apart from the fact that it was pink and I repainted it in blue. Then I got a hand-me-down Raleigh Twenty which I still own and have recently refurbished.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Certainly wasnt a grifter or any of the popular choics around then! It was so 'futuristic' looking! :laugh::angry::biggrin:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My first proper bike was a Triumph Pilot. it was single speed with 20 inch wheels and rod brakes. and dark blue in colour. I am presuming that it dated from the late 1950's, although my dad bought it from a bike shop, second hand in 1965 for my birthday.

AdamBlade

My first bike was a Raleigh Striker which was Raleighs version of a BMX but with thicker tyres and twice as heavy!! No was was I going to ddo tricks on it. Could only just about pull a wheelie!!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
this one have no idea what make it was
mytrike.jpg

Wigsie said:
Certainly wasnt a grifter or any of the popular choics around then! It was so 'futuristic' looking! :biggrin::angry::sad:

Aye, it was very different from any other bike at the time. Would probably be a collectors item now! I'm sorry if I have upset your weekend! :laugh::smile:

Top Bottom