Your help pls - Bradford/Shipley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The West Yorkshire Combined Authority is currently carrying out consultation to improve the A650 road between Shipley and Bradford to a) build a two-way segregated cycling route and b) reduce the road speed from 30mph to 20mph.

This is the same authority responsible for the Leeds-Bradford cycle superhighway amongst other cycling schemes.

Knowing what happened before, there is likely to be firm opposition from the motoring lobby and local residents.

Could I ask you to take about 3 mins of your time to complete the survey below, which would add weight to more sustainable transport. I don't believe there is a requirement to be a local resident.

Visit the link below and the survey can be found under 'Have your say'.

https://www.yourvoice.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/bradfordshipley

Many thanks.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Check the plans that were held by Bradford council. They have plans drawn up to take the route they put in place,
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/b...on-clueless-well-i-never.249616/#post-5637801, to join up with the Bradford end of the Leeds - Bradford super highway. To Shipley via the A6037, from Hillam Road.

classic33

Leg End Member
That crossing they're planning at Arnold Lavers, will be suicidal when it's quiet let alone when it's busy.

It's bad enough now.

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
That crossing they're planning at Arnold Lavers, will be suicidal when it's quiet let alone when it's busy.

It's bad enough now.

That route went live summer 2019. They have traffic lights to cross the junction at A Laver and it works quite well.

The consultation above is for the A650 - aka Manningham Lane. This is the main arterial route into the city from the North and is heaving with cycle commuters who currently have to dodge parked cars and cars feeding into and out of the main road.

Bradford Council, pretty average in other areas, have really prioritised cycling as an alternative mode of transport. For this they should be commended and supported.

Expect there will be uproar from local businesses about the loss of parking - which is already limited.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Expect there will be uproar from local businesses about the loss of parking - which is already limited.
I remember a petition circulating round all of the shops in Hebden Bridge about how the pedestrianisation of the town centre would destroy trade and how nobody would want to come to visit the town any more...

Hebden Bridge Easter duck race #2.jpg

Hebde Bridge Arts Festival.jpg

:whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
Down around the park, is the area I'm not keen on, at present. The residential area of the route.

I'm going to have to get back out to Canal Road. Some of what they're showing for this was to have been put in place there(along the road).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That second picture used to be the main car parking area though.
Exactly my point - the town centre was still heaving with people who had come there and were spending money in those very same shops. The owners of the shops/cafes in the photo had posters up in their windows before the square was pedestrianised warning of the dire consequences if people had to park round the corner instead!

Getting back on topic... I'm sure that the proposals in Bradford won't do any harm to trade there either!

I worry slightly about the areas where the cycle paths are crossed by those red areas for cars to get out onto the road. It is clear that cyclists would have priority but I can foresee some drivers coming straight out over them with cyclists approaching from either side. I think that some of those cyclists will be riding along much quicker than the slow animated cyclists in the YT video and be likely to end up going over the bonnets of cars crossing prematurely!

classic33

Leg End Member
Exactly my point - the town centre was still heaving with people who had come there and were spending money in those very same shops. The owners of the shops/cafes in the photo had posters up in their windows before the square was pedestrianised warning of the dire consequences if people had to park round the corner instead!

Getting back on topic... I'm sure that the proposals in Bradford won't do any harm to trade there either!

I worry slightly about the areas where the cycle paths are crossed by those red areas for cars to get out onto the road. It is clear that cyclists would have priority but I can foresee some drivers coming straight out over them with cyclists approaching from either side. I think that some of those cyclists will be riding along much quicker than the slow animated cyclists in the YT video and be likely to end up going over the bonnets of cars crossing prematurely!
Cycles are only capable of slow/low speeds though. The bus lane is disappearing I noticed, making way for this.

38 junctions on the left, outbound side, which have to be accommodated somehow.

Top Bottom