Your innovative front light mount ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I've noticed it's getting dark in the evenings.

Mounting rear lights is easy - I have two on my seat-post - a flashing one and a steady one. Mounting front lights is a little more difficult: I haven't much room on my handlebars as I have interrupter levers, narrow(ish) bars and fat(ish) hands. My bike doesn't have much head-tube, and even if it did the cables from my bar end shifters would loop in front of a light there and besides those places I can't really think of where to put a light.

I've been looking at the 'brighter-than-a-thousand-suns' ones on eBay, so any ideas of where one might mount such a thing would be much appreciated.

I've thought about getting one of these daft looking tiny front racks to put one on, but hopefully there is a better way!

Selection_008.png

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
not only you like to DIY :biggrin: ive just mounted my energy bank for my phone to the helmet, it also has very strong flashlight mode and im going to try it out this evening :biggrin:

EHVsjpQ.jpg

id be wrong if i wouldnt tell it's bloody bright too

Crankarm

Guru
not only you like to DIY :biggrin: ive just mounted my energy bank for my phone to the helmet, it also has very strong flashlight mode and im going to try it out this evening :biggrin:

EHVsjpQ.jpg

id be wrong if i wouldnt tell it's bloody bright too

Noooooo …….. not this! Bl**dy menace. Lights should be on your bike not you. So if you look behind you, you don't have any forward facing light. Fail. And if you need your helmet i.e. when you are knocked off then having a light on the side is going to do your head no favours. Fail. And on top of all this you blind anything and anyone you look at. Fail. You are definitely wrong.

Crankarm

Guru
I've noticed it's getting dark in the evenings.

Mounting rear lights is easy - I have two on my seat-post - a flashing one and a steady one. Mounting front lights is a little more difficult: I haven't much room on my handlebars as I have interrupter levers, narrow(ish) bars and fat(ish) hands. My bike doesn't have much head-tube, and even if it did the cables from my bar end shifters would loop in front of a light there and besides those places I can't really think of where to put a light.

I've been looking at the 'brighter-than-a-thousand-suns' ones on eBay, so any ideas of where one might mount such a thing would be much appreciated.

I've thought about getting one of these daft looking tiny front racks to put one on, but hopefully there is a better way!

View attachment 57732

A picture of your handle bars would be very helpful then perhaps a suitable solution might be forthcoming.

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
haha guys chill i did it for laugh rather than serious try :P still i will try it at night time just to see how much i will be blinding others, welp im a dhead :biggrin:

J1780

Don't those 'brighter than a thousand suns' lights come with a rubber o ring to wrap around the bar? Mine did and its not very intrusive. I've space for another small light and the bracket for my garmin. When the o ring goes I'll get a bit of galvoband or something.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks for the replies - I've left my phone at work so I can't take a picture - I'll get one tomorrow. The plastic T-thing looks like a good idea - I have a threaded headset and that should fit around the exposed bit of stem.

I guess it might also fit upside down, but that would probably annoy me irrationally!

J1780

Might be difficult to get around the stem but that depends on which one you choose. I've got a solar storm x2 (blinding light on the lowest setting) and the base of the light is designed in such a way that it won't go onto the stem without some real innovation.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've got the opposite problem, because I'm so short, can't fit a seat post light without the panniers hiding it.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If you have panniers, does this mean you have a rack?
Of course. 2 of my bikes have a standard rack, but can only fit one light, I like to have two. So I use them wee flashy ones you often link to as additions.
My bike with disk brakes has a rack that needs a particular light to fit the rack, haven't got one yet as it is out of stock in my lbs, so I'm using a strip of inner tube to secure a smart rear light. Still, would like two rear lights on all my bikes in winter :tongue:

upandover

Guru
Nothing wrong with a second light on your helmet. Keep it below your gaze, and make sure it's lightly fixed / unobtrusive and you'll be fine. I used to find it great on big roundabouts, where you can be much more.visible with a directional light.

It's also great on country roads, where a.directional light makes life so much nicer. :smile:

Have you seen the two fish lock block on DX? The take 2-4 weeks to come, but work really well.
S

un.hinged

Regular
Aluminium LED torch from the 99p shop and an elastic band. Put the torch across the handlebars, loop one end of the band around the front of the torch, pass it under the bars and loop the other end around the back of the torch. Works a treat ^_^

Top Bottom