Your local trails

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
Anyone been out there lately?

Jeez the mud the mud. 6.7 miles last night in just over 90 minutes. It was pretty epic.

How are your trails holding up?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Dreadful. One favourite bit has turned from singletrack to streambed.
130crop.jpg

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
That's luxury that is....

:laugh:

muddy.jpg

This was on Sunday in North London. I don't have any pics from last night, but it was a lot muddier than that!

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I went to Llandegla last week to escape from the worst of the mud in the local farm tracks and moorland. 'degla is holding up pretty well - a fair bit of standing water in places but not much actual mud and plenty of grip. You'll need either a spare pair of trousers or something to protect your car seat on the way home though...

Local is all Bridleways and even the best of them is so full of standing water and mud, it'd be a wallow. The worst are hardly rideable in dry weather, I'd probably end up up to my knees now. A few dry days needed.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Indeed.

Not going out tonight. Both pairs of shoes still wet, and I got cycling apparel drying all over the house.

lulubel

Über Member
It did prove that you don't need to worry about grip on wet millstone grit. The Nics held up very well.

Which version of the Nics do you use? My OH's bike came with some on it, and I don't like the feel of them as much as my MKs, so I suspect she has the cheap version and they need upgrading.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I use their Snakeskin Evos, 2.4 on the bouncer, and 2.25 on the Cotic. They work out at about less than 30 E each delivered from Bike-discount.de I run them tubeless on Stans rims at low pressures. You can see how rocky Calderdale trails tend to be.... that one's about average for Norland, and so tubeless lets me run low pressures without snakebite.
Which version of the Nics do you use? My OH's bike came with some on it, and I don't like the feel of them as much as my MKs, so I suspect she has the cheap version and they need upgrading.

lulubel

Über Member
I use their Snakeskin Evos, 2.4 on the bouncer, and 2.25 on the Cotic. They work out at about less than 30 E each delivered from Bike-discount.de I run them tubeless on Stans rims at low pressures. You can see how rocky Calderdale trails tend to be.... that one's about average for Norland, and so tubeless lets me run low pressures without snakebite.

Thanks. I'll take a look.

She's got the current ones quite a bit firmer than I've got my MKs because my gut tells me they'll snakebite quite easily, and she said she was a bit nervous about braking on her first ride today, after she lost grip a couple of times when she braked. I don't have that problem with my MKs - they can handle quite firm braking even on fairly loose stuff - but I'm not sure yet if it's the tyres/pressures or she still needs to learn to be subtle with the brakes. They don't feel very grippy, though, quite plasticy rather than sticky rubber.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I have a feeling OEMs aren't as grippy. They do two different compounds as well in Evo carcase, PaceStar and TrailStar. Trailstar are grippier.
You may also be able to find some Triple Nano compound which have a hard wearing edge middle, but softer shoulders.

02GF74

Über Member
nope - it is truly awful out at the moment.
2 weekedns ago when it was not too bad, took a route next to a recently plough field and the muc just stuck to my tyres, ended up looking like balloon tyres .... and ended up scratching my fork and rear triangle!!! GGGRrrrr .... well it is an MTB after all.,

Top Bottom