Your local trails

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I might go out tomorrow, see if I can get out from under this black cloud, even if just for a couple of hours.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks. I'll take a look.

She's got the current ones quite a bit firmer than I've got my MKs because my gut tells me they'll snakebite quite easily, and she said she was a bit nervous about braking on her first ride today, after she lost grip a couple of times when she braked. I don't have that problem with my MKs - they can handle quite firm braking even on fairly loose stuff - but I'm not sure yet if it's the tyres/pressures or she still needs to learn to be subtle with the brakes. They don't feel very grippy, though, quite plasticy rather than sticky rubber.
More likely weight placement/distribution than compound/pressure imo.

Subtlety in braking.... how does that work? Either leave 'em be or have 'em on hard. ;)

lulubel

Über Member
More likely weight placement/distribution than compound/pressure imo.

Subtlety in braking.... how does that work? Either leave 'em be or have 'em on hard. ;)

As in not grabbing them hard enough to lock the wheels. She's ridden nothing but a road bike for the last 4 years, so she's used to gripping the levers with all her strength ^_^

I think it was a bit damp when she went out yesterday morning, which will have made grip worse than usual. She was obviously a bit nervous about using the brakes after the front lost grip, though, and I don't want her taking stuff too fast because she's scared to brake, and then having a higher speed crash that will make her more nervous ... as well as potentially ending up in hospital.

I'm probably being overprotective, but even she admits she's a danger to herself, so I do worry about her!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm probably being overprotective, but even she admits she's a danger to herself, so I do worry about her!
Such is love I'm afraid.

Locking the front wheel under braking is often a weight thing. But please tell me you've taught her, through the use of gaffer tape if need be, that it is all about fingers....

"One the front brake
two for the back.
Four is a handful
and makes your head crack"

Cubist

Still wavin'
As in not grabbing them hard enough to lock the wheels. She's ridden nothing but a road bike for the last 4 years, so she's used to gripping the levers with all her strength ^_^

I think it was a bit damp when she went out yesterday morning, which will have made grip worse than usual. She was obviously a bit nervous about using the brakes after the front lost grip, though, and I don't want her taking stuff too fast because she's scared to brake, and then having a higher speed crash that will make her more nervous ... as well as potentially ending up in hospital.

This tickles me, you make yourself sound like a mother hen!!!!^_^

lulubel

Über Member
Such is love I'm afraid.

Locking the front wheel under braking is often a weight thing. But please tell me you've taught her, through the use of gaffer tape if need be, that it is all about fingers....

"One the front brake
two for the back.
Four is a handful
and makes your head crack"

I haven't come across that rhyme before, but I will show it to her. The first thing she did when I told her to feel how good the brakes are was wrapped all her fingers round the levers, so I explained to her the different braking options and she was going to experiment. The hardest thing is trying to avoid pressuring her to ride exactly the way I do, because I know she's got to learn to ride by feel.

This tickles me, you make yourself sound like a mother hen!!!!^_^

I know.

I am a few years older than her, and she hadn't experienced much of life when we first met, so I guess that's where it's come from.

Motozulu

Über Member
I'm liking the rhyme!

Lu sometimes you just have to let em get on with it :smile: good advice is all you can give. I KNOW I'm a danger to myself and I've got the scars to prove it, but you do learn fast when pain is involved - she'll be fine and it sounds like she's getting much better advice than I did when I started out.

Back to the OP slightly am just off up the forest in a couple of hours for the first time in 5 days - we've had a small dry spell and a couple of hard frosts so I'm hoping the water levels have dropped a bit.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Back to the OP slightly am just off up the forest in a couple of hours for the first time in 5 days - we've had a small dry spell and a couple of hard frosts so I'm hoping the water levels have dropped a bit.

Yeah, I'm going to venture out today as well. Hopefully, things have improved...

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
http://app.strava.com/activities/30008995

Snow, ice, mud and a full moon - absolutely amazing

The jammed/chain-suck incident at 1500 ft at the top of the "spongy" segment was not so much fun esp. as we had to loosen the front derailleur to free the chain - too much crud on the drivetrain !!!

IMG_0973.JPG

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Looks immense. Not jealous or anything...

Much better out there today. Maybe in part to a few dry days, some frost firming things up, and mainly riding in daylight giving a lot more advance warning of flooded areas thus having the option of avoiding them. Lovely out today in fact, with sunshine, frost, deer.

Motozulu

Über Member
Yep - Cannock much better than I thought - still some partly frozen puddles about but surprisingly dry and in good nick - enjoyed it. The Dog tomorrow morning methinks before all the weekenders get to it ^_^

PS - brilliant piccie! :thumbsup:

lulubel

Über Member
That pic's fantastic. I don't think I'd ever have the nerve to go off-road in the dark. I have enough trouble seeing what I'm about to ride over when there's dappled sunlight on the trail!

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
we put the lights on shortly after the descent off that hill : 750-1000 lumens sure makes the off road ride-able and it adds a different perspective to the riding. The snow was only a thin covering but it was cold, and the almost full moon came out shortly after the piccy, which was taken at 4.30pm or so (It does get dark early up here). About an hour after that we were in a blizzard on top of the Fyrish Hill climb, but it was amazing looking down on the Cromarty Firth and the Moray Firth, even further in the distance, with the lights of Inverness giving perspective.

Top Bottom