Your mode of transport prior to bike commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Company owned vans. The tax breaks made it virtually free as regards VED, insurance, servicing, fuel and MOTs. Thank you HMRC. Driving six miles each way across central London was misery however. Getting my bike out is actually more expensive, but a lot more fun.

Stinboy

Über Member
Toyota supra with gold alloys, shopping list door decals and an exhaust you could fit your head in.

Class :-)

D

Deleted member 1258

I no longer work, when I was working I was a bike commuter for over 30 years, before that I had used motorbike, scooter, bus or walking.

Tin Pot

Guru
Getting to work was and is still a variety of modes.

Car, train, plane, running, I even used to get the boat to work for about a year - Greenwich into Southbank.

Variety staves off the hatred of the rat race.

I don't want to think about it...I was one of those who drove to the shop 700 yards away for a packet of fags, drove to work, drove to the pub (walked home but in the knowledge that I'd cadge a lift in the morning to pick it up on the way to work)

I walked 1.5 miles each way to the supermarket one day when I thought I ought to think about being a bit more active, I was knackered and chuffed with my "achievement" of a 3 mile round walk

Shameful. And I know SO many people who are just like that, who think that a mile walk because of some one-off inconvenience is nearly the end of the world.

Bodhbh

Guru
Walked, 4 miles each way, took about an hour if I got a move on. Didn't mind it, listened to audiobooks en route. It did take a chunk out the day, but the car was 30mins + stuck in traffic. Obviously the bike brought it down to ~15mins.

Then I moved, took the bus 8 miles each way - 30mins, £6 for a return and 10mins walk each end. Again the bike is faster, ~30mins depending on the wind.

This;

DSC_0016.jpg

Randombiker9

Before I started cycling to school/ college/uni (What you want to call it) it was two buses for me. I don't know if you guys agree this. I like cycling because
1. It wakes you up in the morning
2. your ready for a day of work and are awake to do it. It also keeps you motivated through the day because you look forward to cycling the way back afterwads
3. It's good exercise and good for environment. It also saves money :smile:

U

User33236

Mine was Shanks’s pony but that got boring so I worked out a longer, hillier route to ride along and would occasionally run the old one.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
I don't want to think about it...I was one of those who drove to the shop 700 yards away for a packet of fags, drove to work, drove to the pub (walked home but in the knowledge that I'd cadge a lift in the morning to pick it up on the way to work)

I walked 1.5 miles each way to the supermarket one day when I thought I ought to think about being a bit more active, I was knackered and chuffed with my "achievement" of a 3 mile round walk

Shameful. And I know SO many people who are just like that, who think that a mile walk because of some one-off inconvenience is nearly the end of the world.
I goto local shops within 5-10 minutes walking distance on the car. I feel no shame, not sure why anyone would.

Top Bottom