Your most embarrassing moment on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
not embarrassing, but once I was in the bus lane on a motorbike and got a ticket through the post, with a picture of me behind a bus which had a huge slogan at the back saying "you know when you have been tangoed" :laugh: (long time ago....)

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
If we can include motorbike ones......Many, many years ago, I was on my way to work aboard my trusty GS500 commuter (what a bike!!!)

At the end of our road was a bus stop which, at this time of day, was always surrounded by lovely young ladies on their way to work. Naturally, what they all needed to brighten their dull Monday morning commute (in my head, at least) was an alpha male on a motorbike to hack past at light speed; all leather and dark visored.

On this particular morning, something possessed me to give it a big handfull (which was odd, given the slick, dew covered road surface). Chin on the tank, throttle on the stop, I approached the bus stop and then - bang - she ran out of fuel.

The sudden death of the engine in a relatively low gear on a slippery road locked the back wheel solid. I passed the bus stop with the bike slewing every which way, feet flying off the pegs and me screaming in my lid.

The final indignity - I had to push the bike back past the bus stop - with the aforementioned lovely ladies all trying their best not to make it too obvious that they were all pissing themselves!!!

On the bright side, at least it probably did brighten their day!!!

screenman

Legendary Member
Pulling away on my BMW with the disc lock on, would not have been so bad had it not been at Cadwell on BSB day. Trying to look cool whilst picking the thing back up was hard.

How did you miss a white stick? they are designed to be visible.
Think about it Matthew, he wasn't waving it around above his head and it wasn't on the side from which I was approaching [he was side on to me] now where could it have been hiding
ChinScratch.gif

Reactions: 4F
I thought my most embarrassing moment (stress the moment) was going to be on a club run. When the folk in front of me filtered, instead of being left behind I stupidly followed the space narrowed slightly and I had a clipless moment :blush: I saw a gap in front of the cars and dove into it. Amazingly everyone was very concerned at the time but it never got mentioned again!

Holdsworth

Über Member
It was either back in January when I was in stop start traffic following a van. For whatever reason I was too close, couldn't brake in enough time and ended up doing an impressive nose-wheelie (or whatever it's called) in front of everyone and slapping the rear door of the van. The van driver was okay about it and I learnt to leave more space in traffic.

The other contender was me this morning thinking it was a great idea to cycle to town when there was slush on the road and more snow looked likely. Fine riding in but more snow fell whilst I was there which brought traffic to a standstill and made riding treacherous. Cue me loosing the back end at 5mph whilst braking for a junction and slo-mo falling down on my right. Nothing hurt but my pride and my right shifter which has some snow in it now. Snow tyres needed ASAP.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I think the most embarrassing has to be on the trike on the London to Brighton ride one year.

I'd arranged to meet up with two others at a particular refreshment stop, but they'd stopped at the previous one - which I was halfway past. There was no way to go against the tide of a million bikes, so I had the bright idea of cycling up the 4-foot-ish grass bank and in that way.

It was too steep to allow a straight-on approach, and traction was iffy on the grass, so I decided to tackle it at 45 degrees with a run-up to get some speed. Next thing I know I'm upside-down with a trike on top of me - with an audience of about a thousand people ...

Top Bottom