Your most embarrassing moment on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
.........white stick lying next to him, felt bad enough as it was, even worse when he started saying "all my fault, completely my fault". Apparently I must have caught him with my arm and shoulder and spun him around like a top before he fell and banged his head. Actually he was a tough old fella and it turned out he used to be a competitive cyclist before losing his sight in later life so we ended up having a chin wag before he insisted that I should carry on. I couldn't bring myself to do that so walked home with him where I had to explain things to his daughter who he lived with.
For the record, if someone stands waiting to cross the road, looks at you, then steps out into the road, having a bell or being alert will not help. Not enough lerts about as it is :smile:

cycleruk

the only time i feel embrassed when im on my bike is when i fall off it:blush: and it all ways seems to be when people are watching:laugh:

TwoPosts

First year of being a roadie and two clipped in falls.

The first, went passed a turning and did an unplanned u-turn, no problems on my hybrid but a different kettle of fish clipped in to the road bike, stalled, couldn't unclip....timber, had to happen in front of a motorist. stood up and took a bow.

The second was far more embarrassing, on my first club run, I was stopped by the side of the road, clipped in and started to ride off, not having ridden in a group before, did not do a shoulder check, realised I was going to collide with some one coming up behind, panicked, snatched the brake, couldn't unclip.... timber. Still another three hours of riding to do in the group, boy did I feel stupid that day.

So this year I have dented my ego but in compensation I have lost 4 inches of waste line and increased my fitness to a point that has nearly undone 20 years of smoking.

Peter

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
After picking my self up, I noticed that 3 said Roadies were standing above me. All 3 young, attractive women! They asked if I was ok, which I sheepishly said yes to, and then hobbled off, leg pouring with blood. Lesson learnt I say!
Not so, say I ! ;)

"Oh dear, I'm really feeling a bit <insert unsuitable ailment here>. Would you kind ladies be able to assist me ?"

Now THAT'S the lesson learned ! ^_^

Reactions: akb
Years ago I pulled up to a set of traffic lights behind a morris van. It was one of them vans that had a split chrome back bumper. I managed to get my front wheel caught behind the bumper against the van. Seemed like ages struggling to get it out from behind. In the end had to call for help from van driver to help me release it. Queue of traffic behind seemed to have a good laugh though.

snorri

Legendary Member
I saw a cyclist crouched over his bike ahead of me and thinking he had a mechanical problem I stopped to offer assistance. It was only after stopping I noticed he was not attending to a fault on his bike, but using the bike as a shield whilst picking daffodils growing in a roadside garden. I'm not sure who was most embarrassed, we didn't speak, I just got on my bike and departed on my way.:smile:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Stood up on the pedals to pull away from the traffic lights, BANG! The chain snapped, my gentlemans area came into sudden violent contact with the top tube.

Still clipped in, I retreated into a self contained universe of agony, folded myself into a pain filled ball around the bike, and slowly and (possibly) gracefully fell sideways onto the pavement.

The woman in the car behind was full of sympathy, but I could tell the bitch was secretly pissing herself. :smile:

Nantmor

I have repressed all embarrassing memories of bike mishaps, but it is possible one incident involves stripping a bike and not setting up the brakes properly when rebuilding. It may involve a tight corner at the bottom of a steep hill.

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
A similar thing happened to me when I was driving. I looked in my mirror to see a dog sitting in the 'driver's seat' of the VW camper van behind me!
dog with mobile phone?? :-)

snorri

Legendary Member
A similar thing happened to me when I was driving. I looked in my mirror to see a dog sitting in the 'driver's seat' of the VW camper van behind me!
That reminds me, I've got a pic of a dog driving a taxi ...
Butt.JPG

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The most embarrassing for me has been quite recent.
It was late in the evening (about 9pm) and I had just got to the end of a bridleway besides a river. The water had made me need the loo so I stopped at a gate and nipped into some bushes.
When I finished, I needed to adjust my jresey which had popped out of my shorts. I was using the light of my bike to see what I was doing and then all of a sudden, another cyclist appears right in front of me, looking at me with my hands in my pants! I jumped out of his way and apologised and quickly got on my bike and scarpered off.
What suprised me most was that 10 miles later, I saw him going in the opposite direction to me over a bridge.

I really did go red after that.

Top Bottom