Your opinion on Exercise Bikes......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gaz Vickers

As i still havn't manged to find anytime to get a Bike and get out there (Due to having 2 young children)
and working 6 days a week i just thought an Exercise Bike might benefit me by being able to build up my Legs muscles whilst i figure out a way to get out for a few hours! I am only willing to spend as little as possible one...... Do you think it would be beneficial to me?? I have tried one in a Gym and thats how i wanted to start cycling as i enjoyed it, Very relaxing. ( i know any machine i buy will in no way compete with a gym machine) Although after 2 sessions of 20 mins on a Exercise bike my ass felt bruised!! :blush: Any thoughts on that?, Cheers Gaz.

aJohnson

If you already have a bike then a turbo trainer or rollers would be cheaper and probably better.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Are you still a member of the gym? If so, I see no benefit, really. Would be better off keeping he dosh and putting it towards you impending bike purchase. Simply use the equipment at the gym.

If you are no longer a member, I would probably still put it towards a real bike and try to find the time to use it. Even if it's for a 30 minute ride here and there, with a longer ride 1 day a week. I mean, how long can you realistically expect to sit on an exercise bike for, anyway?

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

No Not a gym member! i used a Hotel gym a few weeks ago. I am only looking at spending about £30-40 Just something to get my legs working whilst the kids sleep! Its the only ''ME'' time i get at the moment!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ahh, I see. Not an easy situation then in that case. Better than nowt, I suppose but it's not really much comparison to riding out on the road.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Theyre often hardly used and heavy as hell so you can probably pick up a decent deal second hand if you can find one locally.

I bought a fairly decent one (about £300 York one) to start losing weight and used to ride it while watching TV. Super quiet because its a magnetic brake on a 30kg flywheel, hrm, computer, and a clamp you can fit a normal bike saddle to. Unfortunately theyre so boring and it really feels like a chore, I can go out on my bike for an hour and it feels like nothing, doing the same indoors with no motivation to go faster or try harder quickly gets old.

I guess it might make sense so you can babysit while exercising though.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Theyre often hardly used and heavy as hell so you can probably pick up a decent deal second hand if you can find one locally.

I bought a fairly decent one (about £300 York one) to start losing weight and used to ride it while watching TV. Super quiet because its a magnetic brake on a 30kg flywheel, hrm, computer, and a clamp you can fit a normal bike saddle to. Unfortunately theyre so boring and it really feels like a chore, I can go out on my bike for an hour and it feels like nothing, doing the same indoors with no motivation to go faster or try harder quickly gets old.

I guess it might make sense so you can babysit while exercising though.
i can understand the boredom issue, but sitting on my ass watching TV is boring! :laugh: So at least if i can do an hour on an Exercise bike it must help build abit of muscle! (as i presently have next to none :blush: at the moment i think it might be my only option! Right, lets get looking for one........ !

geo

In my experience you have to be very self motivated and focused to use an exercise bike most of them tend to become wardrobe extensions with clothes hanging from them until the inevitable ebay listing !! As you say if its your only option then I guess only you know if you will use it enough to justify buying one, however cheap. Good luck, but as others have said out on the road even if only once or twice a week would get my vote over the boredom offered by indoor exercising

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Trust me, if i was able to get once or twice a week i would! i work monday to Saturday, the wife works for an airline! (very awkward hours) and i have a 10 month old and a 4 yr old. so i have my hands full! it would be nice to get out just for a break! lol. i know i need to get in shape to keep up with the kids! :laugh:. So i have to be dedicated! ha.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Buy a bike and a turbo trainer - then get out when you can. A cheap 'exercise bike' will be horrible. We got given a very 'decent' exercise bike by the in-laws (electronic LCD display, many settings) - very flash, but we've never used it, as the saddle is massive, and I can't be ar$ed changing it.:laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Machine Mart were selling a very decent fan turbo trainer for silly money a few weeks ago.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Buy a bike and a turbo trainer - then get out when you can. A cheap 'exercise bike' will be horrible. We got given a very 'decent' exercise bike by the in-laws (electronic LCD display, many settings) - very flash, but we've never used it, as the saddle is massive, and I can't be ar$ed changing it.:laugh:
I'll have it! :laugh: lol, No seriously! Good advice but can't shell out for a bike at the minute! i need something to keep me going whilst i save the pennies!! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom