Your opinion on Exercise Bikes......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
i have a treadmill! and hate running!!! :wacko:

Means to an end - will be good for base fitness - I assume you need to be 'in the house' as you don't have spare time to get 'out'. Been there myself - mine are 8 and 11 now !

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Yes stuck indoors at the mo, Been using the treadmill for about 6 months, and hating it for 5 and half months!! Then used a hotel gym and exercise bike, and i surprisingly enjoyed it. so me and treadmill are no longer friends! :boxing: lol,
Any more messages i will reply to tonight, i'm off home from work now! Cheers for advice/input so far.....

MarkF

Guru
For £30-40 you are buying piece of junk, I've done it.......................twice. No, you won't use it, you'll acknowledge the fact that it really is a pile of junk withing seconds of starting to pedal, don't buy one. You will not enjoy it, therefore you will give up, stop before you get benefit or just turn down the resistance, and when you do that you'll wobble like you are on spin dry. You'll need to spend much more money on smoother and more stable machine for you to get regular use from it.

I bought a cheap Turbo trainer, £25 and have an old hybrid on it, value maybe £50, some might laugh at that set up (& I don't blame them) but it is immeasurably more useful than a wobbly, creaking, jolting cheap exercise bike. It's stable and, well, like riding a bike.

Sandra6

Veteran
I used to like to cycle in the gym, but since I got a real bike I just can't be bothered.
I do a spinning class once or twice a week, but I can't bring myself to use the standard gym bikes at all. They're nothing like a proper bike.
If it's your only option then fair enough, but anything you get for £30 is going to feel like it only cost you £30.

I bought a good 'gym' quality (read bloody expensive) one before getting a bike, used to manage maybe 20-30 mins a day on it either watching a vid or reading a book, swmbo used it about 6 times. It is now the inevitable clothes hangar and listed on gumtree :laugh:

In fairness though I lost a good few kg with it and it did get my legs used to pedaling for when I got on a proper bike. Whilst they are no substitute imo they are worthwhile as a starting point (just don't spend a bloody fortune :banghead: on a new one!

(you can of course spend a fair and proper amount on mine if you wish £200 collection from Bradford area, (Vision Fitness E3100))

Get yourself on Gumtree, buy a cheap bike to get out for basic rides, when ready to upgrade, flog it on Gumtree probably at what you paid.
Even on a clunker you'll gain more on a 25 min ride than an hour on an exercise bike.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

For £30-40 you are buying piece of junk, I've done it.......................twice. No, you won't use it, you'll acknowledge the fact that it really is a pile of junk withing seconds of starting to pedal, don't buy one. You will not enjoy it, therefore you will give up, stop before you get benefit or just turn down the resistance, and when you do that you'll wobble like you are on spin dry. You'll need to spend much more money on smoother and more stable machine for you to get regular use from it.

I bought a cheap Turbo trainer, £25 and have an old hybrid on it, value maybe £50, some might laugh at that set up (& I don't blame them) but it is immeasurably more useful than a wobbly, creaking, jolting cheap exercise bike. It's stable and, well, like riding a bike.
I don't have room to fit a full size bike and turbo, it'l be a tight fit with an exercise bike!. But i'd rather risk £40 on a cheaper one in the event i might not use it! plus the wife won't let me spend any more! :stop:haha! But cheers for your opinion buddy.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

I bought a good 'gym' quality (read bloody expensive) one before getting a bike, used to manage maybe 20-30 mins a day on it either watching a vid or reading a book, swmbo used it about 6 times. It is now the inevitable clothes hangar and listed on gumtree :laugh:

In fairness though I lost a good few kg with it and it did get my legs used to pedaling for when I got on a proper bike. Whilst they are no substitute imo they are worthwhile as a starting point (just don't spend a bloody fortune :banghead: on a new one!

(you can of course spend a fair and proper amount on mine if you wish £200 collection from Bradford area, (Vision Fitness E3100))
thanks pal, but too much for me! :wacko: lol

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

Get yourself on Gumtree, buy a cheap bike to get out for basic rides, when ready to upgrade, flog it on Gumtree probably at what you paid.
Even on a clunker you'll gain more on a 25 min ride than an hour on an exercise bike.
i can't even get out for that little time at the moment! but i understand what you mean. cheers for your input. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

I used to like to cycle in the gym, but since I got a real bike I just can't be bothered.
I do a spinning class once or twice a week, but I can't bring myself to use the standard gym bikes at all. They're nothing like a proper bike.
If it's your only option then fair enough, but anything you get for £30 is going to feel like it only cost you £30.
i know it probably will. but to me it will be that or nothing......and i need something! lol

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I didnt see your price range earlier, its probably going to be a waste of time for that amount id imagine. Try asking around friends/family/relatives, plenty of people have them sitting in garages and spare bedrooms.

With £30 to spend id probably just buy a dumbell set, very cheap way of being able to exercise a lot of your body, even legs :smile:

Diggs

Veteran
I have a cross trainer already which I've used for a few years but you do need to have a certain commitment. With a family, I appreciate how difficult it can be. I bought a turbo trainer on ebay for £35ish and try and do a couple of spin classes in the week at lunchtime. I find that, if there is any sport that I would have sat down on the sofa to watch, I now watch it on the cross trainer or turbo. Good for during the winter/dark nights or even if it's nice out but you are feeling guilty because otherwise you'd be out cycling or doing something active.

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

I didnt see your price range earlier, its probably going to be a waste of time for that amount id imagine. Try asking around friends/family/relatives, plenty of people have them sitting in garages and spare bedrooms.

With £30 to spend id probably just buy a dumbell set, very cheap way of being able to exercise a lot of your body, even legs :smile:[/quote bit
i might be being a little optimistic at £30 :whistle: i might increase the budget to £50 :wahhey:but don't tell the wife! :gun:

OP
OP
Gaz Vickers

Gaz Vickers

I have a cross trainer already which I've used for a few years but you do need to have a certain commitment. With a family, I appreciate how difficult it can be. I bought a turbo trainer on ebay for £35ish and try and do a couple of spin classes in the week at lunchtime. I find that, if there is any sport that I would have sat down on the sofa to watch, I now watch it on the cross trainer or turbo. Good for during the winter/dark nights or even if it's nice out but you are feeling guilty because otherwise you'd be out cycling or doing something active.
Like iv said earlier. i have no bike yet! :sad: i'm last in line for hand-outs...:angry: lol....

Top Bottom