Your opinion on this wheel truing stand please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Spoked Wheels in particular :smile:
I would like to buy a wheel truing stand: I'm a complete beginner at this, when we did it at bike mechanics class I was ready to launch the blooming wheel in orbit.
Still, I think I should practise. I have seen this stand and I fancy buying it from the enterprising seller instead of getting a mass made one.
Is it suitable?
Btw, I'm aware I could practise on my own bikes with the wheels in the forks, but I need them functioning, got access to some redundant wheels to practise on.

Being home made ... If its been made square I am sure it will do the job
When you become a "fully qualified wheel builder" you can always upgrade your tools :smile:

LetMeEatCake

It certainly looks the part, and as a bonus would be an excellent start to your mad-scientist laboratory too.
Question to those who know better than I do: I've built a couple of wheels over the years (probably really badly, but, touch wood, they haven't collapsed yet), and have always just used the bike itself as the truing stand (with a plastic ruler rubber-banded across the stays / forks). Is there anything bad/wrong about doing it on the bike, or do truing stands just make life easier?

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
@Spoked Wheels in particular :smile:
I would like to buy a wheel truing stand: I'm a complete beginner at this, when we did it at bike mechanics class I was ready to launch the blooming wheel in orbit.
Still, I think I should practise. I have seen this stand and I fancy buying it from the enterprising seller instead of getting a mass made one.
Is it suitable?
Btw, I'm aware I could practise on my own bikes with the wheels in the forks, but I need them functioning, got access to some redundant wheels to practise on.

That stand will do a job but I think it might become a bit tedious adjusting parts to fit the task. I do have to adjust my stand too but it's simpler task.

The other observation is that it's built for a wide hub and you need to use something like an axle to do other sizes, that seems like the biggest issue with that stand for me.

Planet X do this stand for £50 sometimes and that would be a better stand IMO.

The first stand I ever bought was one of those homemade stands..... sold by a business that also do wheelbuilding courses. They marketed it as "this is what our students use to learn wheelbuilding".... I thought their courses must be brilliant to get anybody to actually build a wheel on such device :laugh: The stand was unbelievable poor that I sent it back.

Roger Musson's PDFs book for sale here:

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

Has the plans for an easy-build (depending on your woodworking skills) wheel truing stand. The advantage of using wood is that you'll get a nice clear note when plucking spokes for comparing tension.

There is an older version of the book here:

http://poehali.net/attach/bike_wheel_-_unsec.pdf

that you can have a quick look in to get the idea (page 18) for free.

Recommend you buy the latest version of the book though as it's excellent and well worth the £9.

Graham

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The only issue I can see will be the fixed legs not being great for 100mm, 120, 130 and 135 axels.

Minaura do a good stand and the best prices are from the likes of bike discount.de That's the one I have

Top Bottom