Your original home town.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
the buses were green and white.
Ah yes, the NCT Leyland Atlanteans (or dodgems as they were affectionately known due to their massive bumpers!) my old man used to work on them back in the day.

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Born in Manchester and brought in Wilmslow. Had stints in Melbourne and Sheffield, but ultimately came back. A very nice place to live with some really fantastic cycling on your door step. Mind you, you need to ignore the chelsea tractor tacky fashonistas who think life revolves around revving the nuts out of their Ferraris or Lambos on a Saturday afternoon. Even the bike shop/cafe attracts crowds of MAMILS on £10k bikes. I don't even know any of the bike brands they sell. https://theservicecourse.cc/builders :rolleyes:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'm from a little place just outside Herne Bay in Kent. I left at 17 to go to Uni and have zero intent to live anywhere in that area again. I still go back to visit my mother and brother, but the rest of my very small family have died out, both sets of grandparents lived opposite each other a mile down the road. I like going back to visit my mother and to let my kids build memories at the beach, but the people there including school friends wound me up to a point where I won't contact anyone if I am heading down.

Mike_P

Guru
Ah yes, the NCT Leyland Atlanteans (or dodgems as they were affectionately known due to their massive bumpers!) my old man used to work on them back in the day.
View attachment 634382
Apparently those bumpers were so they could cram as many as possible in the depot while the windscreen shape was to cut down on reflections. Not the best of adverts on that one, Shipstones or Home Ales would really localise it.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Define 'home town'?
I'd lived in five different towns by the age of 15 so it's always a tricky one for me, but if I had to choose one it would be Hawick, where I lived between the ages of 3 and 9.
It hasn't changed a great deal apart from the loss of the woollen mills and the arrival of the big supermarkets.
Oh, and it seems a lot smaller now 😂.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Grew up in a coastal village in Cornwall, go back every year to see family. The only significant thing is the local post office has closed and some of the houses nearer the coast have been demolished and larger posher houses have replaced them. Most are holiday homes which cost a fortune ( the old chalet house next to my mothers was bought for 650K at auction, they are waiting for planning permission to demolish it and put up something far grander ) . This of course pisses of the locals who have no chance of affording one. Its a similair story throughout Cornwall.
I do feel so sorry for locals who can’t afford houses anymore.

I had to leave Surrey and live in Kent as I was priced out of my home village. It’s now full of Chelsea footballers and rich investment bankers.

Playing devils advocate for a minute.
If you inherit your mum’s house will you sell it at half price to a local? I know I won’t. I’ll sell my parents house to a developer who will probably knock it down and build 2 houses on the plot.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I do feel so sorry for locals who can’t afford houses anymore.

I had to leave Surrey and live in Kent as I was priced out of my home village. It’s now full of Chelsea footballers and rich investment bankers.

If you inherit your mum’s house will you sell it at half price to a local? I know I won’t. I’ll sell my parents house to a developer who will probably knock it down and build 2 houses on the plot.

Your last para' is a good point.

How many people, especially those who moan about 'offcomers' pushing up their local house prices, would not be delighted with a huge inheritance windfall from a local to them property sale?

I imagine not many.

My passport says my home town is Bristol but I don't know the city at all; we moved to the North East then I was about 6 months old and lived in a village called Howden Le Wear, which I'd struggle to find on a map now, although I'm told we had snowdrifts to the upstairs windowsills and floods.
We then moved to a village called Wingate, near Hartlepool, where I remember a big gloomy house with a massive stairwell, no heating, and coal fires. From the attic we could hear a lighthouse foghorn on misty nights, and during the day I remember a bulldozer scraping the top off the slag heap behind the houses opposite, and the coal men delivering coal on a lorry that weighed the bags before they carried them to the coal chute. There was no Kindergarten but fortunately my mum was a kindergarten teacher and incredibly creative when it came to activities with cornflake packets and storytelling with wooden spoons.
A few years later we went to the opposite extreme; Knutsford, just south of Manchester, where the used car dealership sold E-type Jaguars and half the shops were fancy wine bars.
I visited since a few times and it feels very odd; like a colony of south West England, full of big cars and houses with tall hedges and cast iron gates.
I gained a southern accent in Knutsford. This didn't help much when we moved to the West Midlands where I gained my GCSE's and a loathing of team sports, especially football. I left that school on my last day without a goodbye or a look back, and never returned. I still remember the sound the door made when it closed behind me for the final time.
On the other hand I had my first German lessons there which was probably the most important subject I had, so I probably shouldn't complain too much.
I suspect I now feel the same way about the UK as many feel about their home town because I see lots of changes in the whole country, not just a small area.

Last edited:

yello

If you inherit your mum’s house will you sell it at half price to a local?
Sadly, I think many are forced into a decision they really don't want to make. I. can understand those that 'take the money and run' as not all of us have the luxury of doing otherwise.

do feel so sorry for locals who can’t afford houses anymore.

The house will be left between 4 and nope it will go to the highest bidder , 2 of us could afford to not inherit, 2 have no pension whatsoever and are sort of relying on the cash to give them a cushion, we are all nearly or over 60.

Top Bottom