Your other hobbies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bagpipe playing - I have a Northumbrian set and an Uilleann half set. They've languished for the past year unplayed.

My wife took up Northumbrian smallpipes about 18 months ago, after much wailing (some of it from the pipes) she can now do a reasonable tune but there's a lifetimes work there to master them. Due to our acquisitive nature she has three sets, one 7 key set in D, one keyless set and a totally sublime 17 key set by Colin Ross, one of the finest pipe makers ever, with all the keys and hardware in sterling silver. Much envied by all who see it.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My wife took up Northumbrian smallpipes about 18 months ago, after much wailing (some of it from the pipes) she can now do a reasonable tune but there's a lifetimes work there to master them. Due to our acquisitive nature she has three sets, one 7 key set in D, one keyless set and a totally sublime 17 key set by Colin Ross, one of the finest pipe makers ever, with all the keys and hardware in sterling silver. Much envied by all who see it.

My Northumbrian pipes are a 9 key boxwood set made by a chap called Mick Wilkins from Bradford. They could do with being re-reeded and serviced. My hands are far too big for a seventeen key set.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I thought that you might like the challenge of precision shooting with no penalties for near misses :whistle:
I was once zeroing in a rifle on a 100 metre target. It was a sunny day and as I started the shot I saw a fly land on the paper background. My mate was spotting and bet me a fiver I wouldn't hit it. He lost. Just get the verminous little blighters within 50 yards and I'll see what I can do!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
at the moment? Running, playing electric bass, sometime rugby union ref and avid union fan (C'mon Munster), reading (mainly non-fiction), cooking, enthusiastic sampler of wine & whisky.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Model aircraft and helicopters, I never was into mud pushers (vehicles / tanks) been doing model kits for many years and built my own dedicated modeling room ... I've done many reviews for model magazines as well as custom builds for customers as well as competition models.
I have something like 1000 model kits in the attic as well as another 500 in my mates attic (no room in mine) but since the birth of my two granddaughters (3 and 2 years old and stay each weekend) I've not touched a model for three years, as they both use the computer in the model room and I'm afraid of forgetting about any scalpels I leave out. so it's taking a back burner, but I will return to my hobby once again (once the girls are a little older)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
After my No 1 hobby of feeling sorry for myself comes No 2: talking to strangers. Luckily, thanks to a local superabundance of red lights, I can quite successfully combine cycling and talking to strangers.

The fact that I'm joking doesn't make any of the above untrue:whistle:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Singing (and organising choirs), I'm a cub scout leader and chess. The singing probably takes up the most time after cycling now. I'm a tenor and sing in a male voice choir and run a church choir. Cubs I've been a leader/helper for since I was 16, although I'm starting to lose interest atm. I haven't played much chess in the last few years as the only local league is on a Saturday which I don't fancy. I am an ex England junior though.

Playing guitar/mandolin; growing veg on an allotment (not currently); cooking and baking.

Maz

Guru
I really enjoy fishing (coarse and fly fishing) and go as regularly as possible.
I play and watch way too much football (Blades).
I'm a keen linguist - I speak reasonable Spanish and I teach English (TEFL) from time to time.
I also help out as a volunteer, providing hot meals to homeless and destitute people in Leicester.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Bagpipe playing - I have a Northumbrian set and an Uilleann half set. They've languished for the past year unplayed.

My late Uncle was arrested for playing his bagpipes at 6am. Despite liking the pipes I can sort of understand why as they are lets say quite loud. :smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My late Uncle was arrested for playing his bagpipes at 6am. Despite liking the pipes I can sort of understand why as they are lets say quite loud. :smile:

Not all bagpipes are equal.

Northumbrian pipes are bellows blown and are very quiet in comparison to the Scottish bagpipes. The Northumbrian pipes were designed to be played in the living room whereas the Scottish bagpipes were designed to be heard in the next glen.

Magic. I am a member of The Magic Circle and Secretary of my local Magical Society.
Cooking and Baking
Hillwalking and climbing. Sadly living in Kent only get to do this once a year or so.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Reading, cooking, swimming, walking the dog. Chastising the children, yea with fire, and brimstone, and modest withholdings of pocket money.

Is bagpiping a hobby? I've always thought of it as more of an ailment. Or an act of aggression. Both, probably.

Top Bottom