Your other hobbies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
the Scottish bagpipes were designed to be heard in the next glen.
What "fixed" the cycling bug for me? Years ago.

#2 son was 10, maybe 11 - a bit restless. Took him on the train to the edge of West Yorkshire, cycled through the Aire Gap to the Forest of Bowland; wild-camped next to a field of sheep - wee city boy terrified, but happy too; back, via his first Macdonalds breakfast {shame}, and up over the high Pennines to Hebden Bridge.

Yup - I pushed BOTH laden bikes almost to the highest point. We BOTH collapsed.

And as we're lying there recovering, damn me if a b****y good pair of lungs filled a set of Scottish bagpipes somewhere in the distance! On to the bikes, over the last few feet, and we sailed down towards Widdop Reservoir - to gut-stirring tunes. Aye, and there's the guy, in the full gear, walking to and fro on the dam, doing a wee bit of practice - ach, he was playing damned well.

No idea who he was - but that seared cycle touring into my blood, my son's, and his siblings. And we've had so much fun since.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Guitars, recording, ...more of an obsession than a hobby though

Keith Oates

Janner
Cycling is my first and only active hobbie now but I still follow the Rugby and enjoy watching the matches when possible. Reading is also another pastime I enjoy and Mr. Kindle has made this more pleasurable over the past 12 months.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ray c. flagg

Cycling was not intended to become a hobbie but just a way of healthy stint to loose weight... but a year later and five stone lighter you can add it to my obsession list along with weight training, swimming, running and a fair bit of walking :-) but you must count the reasons for the change aswell which are my three kids and three dogs (no matter how far i run/ride they always seem to find me LOL).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No other hobbies , cycling is my "thing " , gives me some time to myself to relax .
Before i got back into cycling i was paranoid and stressed , now i only have to wear my tin foil hat on special occasions ^_^

I do a few sessions a week on my multi gym but other than that i spend as much time looking after the family .

tyred

Legendary Member
No other hobbies , cycling is my "thing " , gives me some time to myself to relax .
Before i got back into cycling i was paranoid and stressed , now i only have to wear my tin foil hat on special occasions ^_^

Pretty much my story too. Thought I'd do a bit of cycling to continue my battle of the bulge and have become hooked to the extent that it has more or less displaced all my other hobbies. If I'm not actually riding, I'll usually be found in the garage rebuilding yet another bike. It's the best cure for stress and anxiety that I have found.

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1668120, member: 9609"]Lack of commitment really, do you not fancy following in the footsteps of the legendary Mick Fowler wikipedia who used to regularly drive from London to the north west highlands for just a weekends climbing, once manage 11 weekends on the trot, if the conditions are right its worth the effort.[/quote]

That journey taken these days, in an economical car, would cost about £200 in petrol alone! He must have been rich as well as keen.

swampyseifer

Well I've always been a gamer, used to be mainly on PC but more recently I've turned to consoles (xbox only really, nothing decent seems to come out on the PS3). Tho tbh I dont game as much as I used to, when I was single/living at home it was easy to spend all-nighters on WoW or a Final Fantasy (I clocked up over 2000 hours on FF8, yes, two THOUSAND hours!). Now I'm married.....well the wife wouldnt like it! :B)

One thing I spend quite a bit of time on, and a helluva lot of money is Warhammer 40,000 modelling. I also have been playing since around 2nd edition...mostly play as Space Marines, although I had a reasonable go at Orcs but I couldnt get on with just being shot to death before reaching my opponent! We never seem to put enough terrain down and a 6+ save just doesnt cut it! But I've also dabbled in Chaos, Sisters of Battle, Daemon Hunters and Necron.

I mostly just collect the models though...I'm quite well known for trying silly conversions tho...like a squad of vanguard all with lightning claws and more more recent attempts to mount two thunderfire cannons on a razorback!

Other than that I write fantasy and science-fiction stories and also write poetry. I like to think I'm above average and have even had a few published on some websites and stuff but nothing major (nothing paying anyway).

sunnyjim

Sailing - a trimaran is the sailing equivalent of a trike...
Ski-ing limited to 1/2 week hol/year these days
General making things including bits of boat & bike & asociated tools - One rebuilt 1952 ML7 lathe & another in bits + home converted cnc mill.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Main one is fishing, coarse, sea, game and tropical saltwater in that order really.
I also keep tropical marine fish (5' reef tank) and enjoy photography, walking, motorbikes, dogs, and have a newly developing fascination with R/C helicopters.

Top Bottom