Your perfect cycling jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As commuting cyclist I thought for a while about a reversible jacket (so the high-vis stuff can be transformed into a 'looks OK to be seen in in normal company' quickly). The practicalities make that unlikely as the high-vis stuff isn't the nicest next to your skin and my commuting Altura Nightvision is normally not the cleanest either... My NightVision Altura is good - for colder weather at any rate, not so good in summer as I boil... I generally like the cut of the NightVision. Zips should have better toggles that are grab-able with (thick) gloves on though.

One thing my husband has a problem with is that the necks (when zipped up) end up 'throttling' him, so perhaps a wider cut neck than 'standard' (he also has wide shoulders - I suspect the two things are related).

I echo bikingfox's comments re the reflective tape positioning to avoid a rucksack and also the glove-sealing option. Landslide's comments on the cuffs are good; Paramo cuffs are good this way, the velcro adjuster is brilliant; but not sure on its waterproof-ness (yet to be seen...)

Shady

I have to say that I myself have already found my perfect cycling jacket.

Waterproof and windproof with zip vents on the arms and chest and an overlap vent at the back and a detachable hood.

The jacket I use all the time for my cycling is the Paramo Vasco Jacket over a base layer.

If I get warm I simply open all the vents and I cool down adequately and its great against wind and rain.

;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Lots of the above, such as longer at the back, zipped venting, pockets etc.

Also long arms ... so that when you are stretching forward that you aren't exposing your wrists. Female specific designs - so differing proportions.

g00se

Veteran
Ok - here's my biggest bugbear in the recent weather - I bought some Altura waterproof over-trousers which I wear over my jeans or my three-quarters when it's really cold and wet. It's a right pain trying to fish stuff out of my jeans pockets with the overtrousers on. How about waterproof over-trousers with waterproof 'vents' so you can get to your pockets below?

mikeitup

Veteran
g00se said:
Ok - here's my biggest bugbear in the recent weather - I bought some Altura waterproof over-trousers which I wear over my jeans or my three-quarters when it's really cold and wet. It's a right pain trying to fish stuff out of my jeans pockets with the overtrousers on. How about waterproof over-trousers with waterproof 'vents' so you can get to your pockets below?

My endura gridlock overtrousers have zipped pockets in them. very useful.
My gridlock jacket has been excellent too.

wafflycat

chillyuk said:
The ideal jacket for me would be one I can get into.

I appreciate that most cyclists are fairly trim and toned, but we are not all like anorexic Chinamen. I need a 50" chest. Some jackets claim 48-50" (Altura) they are still too small.

+1

Also, from my female perspective, not every female that cycles is built like a whippet and many of use are more than five foot nothing in height. One of the downsides of female specific cycle wear is, I find, that it is too short in the body for me, so that when on a road cycle, any positioning which is effectively leaning forward even slightly (not as far as the drops) means the tops ride up at the back far, far roo much.

wafflycat

Oh and my ideal waterproof would be something very light, very breathable, very foldable, so I can wrap it up *small* and pop it in a jersey pocket easily, or in a rack pack easily.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
1- Hi viz or reflective tabs on the sleeve ends to aid with signalling visiability (possibly even l.e.d's!)

2- A wide shoulder cut that does not result in a wide waist cut (not all large shouldered riders have 40 inch waists), so a more "taylored" fit...like a ladies jacket basically...(oh dear, what have i said!)

3- Removeable (yet waterproof) arms to convet into a gilet...ideal for warmer days (far better than a removable liner in my opinion) bit like the Endura Convert range (my weapon of choice).

4- Stiffer fabric, that does not feel too much like a shell and feels substantial.

5- I personally dont like phone pockets and the like as, when full, they generate a "droop" in the jacket and pull it in all sorts of directions that end up feeling uncomfortable and a bit wrong...That's my own personal choice though.

Lastley

6- How about some light body armour (in internal pockets/patches, so as to be removeable) on elbows and shoulders. My morotcycle jacket has such pockets, this would offer at least a little "padding" in the event of a light tumble...not something I've seen on any jackets, although I am no expert, so could be a USP!

Jezston

Über Member
jonny jeez said:
1- Hi viz or reflective tabs on the sleeve ends to aid with signalling visiability (possibly even l.e.d's!)

I was going to post something about reflective stuff on the sleeves to aid with signalling but you trumped me! The LED idea would be great - little cycling orange LEDs that turn on when you raise your arm would be awesome :biggrin:

Jezston

Über Member
Also, a distinct lack of branding everywhere would be appreciated. I still feel embarrased wearing my Altura jacket.

Norm

My ideal jacket / trousers would just be bigger than anything currently available. :biggrin:

Must haves:
Windproof, waterproof & breathable, hi-viz with reflectives low on the back / bum and on the arms / wrists, stash pocket on the chest, soft quiet material, adjustable and elasticated collar and hem, soft collar and lightweight.

Nice to haves:
Vent on back and under arms, change pockets in forearms, velcro adjustment on upper arms and I like the idea of light body armour.

Lightweight is important for me, as I use layers and don't want a heavy coat. I'd rather an outer shell that does the job of being an outer shell so I can pick and choose the warmth by different fleeces or long / short sleeves underneath. That way, one jacket covers all seasons with different combos underneath.

Top Bottom