Your perfect cycling jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sailorchick

Hope this isn't out of place. My husband is looking to set up his own business producing cycling clothing (he works for a sailing clothing company at present) and is keen to get some input on what would make the perfect cycling jacket.

I've given him my feedback but a few more opinions would be really helpful. What features etc would your perfect cycling jacket have?

gbb

Legendary Member
One thing occurs to me sailorchick...even in the 'mild' weather, i find i need two different jackets...
The Altura Nevis has been a fine jacket from my point of view, but its a little heavy once the temps raise a few degrees, you soon get hot.
The Lusso HT50 (IIRC) is a lighter jacket, good for when its mild, but no good when its cold.
Perhaps a light jacket with a removeable lining would solve the problem and give you something suitable over a wider temperature range.

These are relatively budget jackets i'm talking about, perhaps what i'm thinking is already available if i were prepared to spend more.

C

chillyuk

The ideal jacket for me would be one I can get into.

I appreciate that most cyclists are fairly trim and toned, but we are not all like anorexic Chinamen. I need a 50" chest. Some jackets claim 48-50" (Altura) they are still too small.

gouldina

Waterproof and breathable (I favour eVent fabric for this purpose), pockets that don't leak, hi-viz, not too tight as mentioned above.

Jezston

Über Member
Shorter at the front, lower at the back than regular jackets to accomodate the cyclists riding position.

Also strong pockets, unlike my Altura Night Vision jacket's one pocket that has split open after six months light use.

Wobbly John

Veteran
Jezston said:
Shorter at the front, lower at the back than regular jackets to accomodate the cyclists riding position.

In the 90's Karrimore had an advert with one of their jackets pictured and the tag line:

"Arms too long, front too short, Back too long.... PERFECT!" :blush:

Crankarm

Guru
Being a cyclist himself would be a good start. So much stuff for cyclists seems to me to have been designed by people who have never been near a bike and see it as an easy way to make money :laugh:.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Cuffs are difficult to get right.
I think a combination of elastication and a velcro (or similar) tab closure is the best wasy to go about it, BUT MAKE SURE THE BLOODY STITCHING DOESN'T RESULT IN A PREVIOUSLY MARVELLOUSLY WATERPROOF FABRIC SUDDENLY BECOMING THE MOST EFFICIENT SUCTION PUMP ON EARTH AND RESULTANTLY SOAKING YOUR FOREARMS!!! :laugh:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Reflective strips incorporating the logo which will indicate SPEED.

Long at the back, and tight fitting and slightly padded here to keep the tail of the jacket covering the lower back, and to keep it warmish.

Breathable. And extra vents, as per a good ski-jacket would be useful too.

Loose around the shoulders - no restrictions for arm movements.

Soft on the inside, but not thermal - if I want warmth, then I'll wear a layer underneath.

Pockets for keys, energy bar.

Arms that go outside gloves, so that water running down the arms doesn't leak into the gloves, getting hands wet and cold.

biking_fox

Guru
Sensible amounts of reflective tape that will actually be visible - not just a minor bit of piping along one seam.

COnsider people who wear rucksacks if you are aiming for the commuter market. The 'roadie' market will have different needs. Hence positioning of reflective tape so it isn't obscured by rucksack. Positioning of rear pocket ditto.

Long arms that seal over gloves definetly.

Robust without being too heavy - it woul dbe nice if it didn't rip on the first contact with the tarmac.

breathable = vents.

Hi vis material with additional reflective strips on back front and at the sides.

Popper-removable inner bodywarmer and waterproof zip-removable sleeves so that jacket can be used year-round.

Waterproof. Not showerproof - waterproof.

MajorMantra

chillyuk said:
The ideal jacket for me would be one I can get into.

I appreciate that most cyclists are fairly trim and toned, but we are not all like anorexic Chinamen. I need a 50" chest. Some jackets claim 48-50" (Altura) they are still too small.

Equally, it would be nice if a UK manufacturer catered for the bottom end of the size range as well. Those of use with 33" chests have to look to Italy for clothing at the moment.

Offering clothes at the extreme of size might give you a foot in the market from the off - there isn't nearly as much competition there!

Matthew

Goldfang

I wear the high quality Hi-Viz bomber jacket style coat as supplied by my employers for my ride to work. Probably a bit warm/bulky for very long rides but ideal for short(ish) commutes and around town. Certainly seems to make me stand out! Is also waterproof and available from workwear suppliers all over the place. I dare not leave it at work, it would go walkies.

Top Bottom