Your perfect cycling jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

g00se

Veteran
SavageHoutkop said:
I take it you don't own a 'hump' then... :biggrin:

Don't you mean >>>HUMP>>>!

mr Mag00

rising member
soft shell windstopper front with thumb holes in the cuffs to ensure cover back of hand, this is for dry cold days. goretex front gillet over top on wet days. as mentioned longer on rear and shorter front. Ron hill had leggings that were inbuilt reflective a few years a go which were not obvious during the day.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'd like a back pocket (zipped) for when I'm riding upright, AND zipped side or front pockets for when I'm riding recumbent. (and a little inner mobile pocket would be good. I like pockets)

Also, something that is small enough for my relatively petite upper body, but big enough to do up easily around my potentially childbearing hips... I often find I have to do a jacket up by hitching it up to my waist, and then smoothing it back down. Maybe a wide lower edge, with some sort of velcro or elastic pull-up tightener.

Shady

Trevrev said:
Just looked up one of these, and for 180 quid i'd want it to be bomb proof !!!......LOL...:biggrin:

If you have friends who work in Civil Defence you can get about 1/3 off .. bargain !!!

I think its a case of you get what you pay for, and I love it !!

OP
OP
Sailorchick

Sailorchick

Cheers for all the feedback guys, its really helpful. Gives him a much better viewpoint than me just asking for a non boil in the bag jacket which is my main request.

colly

Re member eR
All of the above and:

Zips that open easily, that do not snag or twist and that have a large tag on the slider so they can be found easily.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Landslide said:
But don't flap around annoyingly when you don't need them.
[/moononastick]:smile:

So, a little dot of velcro on the tag, and a little strip of the stuff down the inside of the flap that covers the zip.

Although I suspect a detail like that could add £50 to the price.

Jezston

Über Member
(I take that back, Ledwear are sending me a new one and are keen to have a look at my current one to identify any potential design flaw. Now that's customer service!)

bottombracket

Hi sailorgirl
Crikey!
If this jacket ever gets made, I'll have to sell my bikes so I can afford it!:B)

I've had more than a half-dozen cycling jackets over the years and all of them had some great features - but no jacket has ever had everything I want;

My Gore Countdown Paclite (£150) - 100% waterproof & breathable and fits in a jersey pocket but needs multiple layers underneath in winter.
Endura Stealth (£160) - 100% waterproof & breathable, great insulation, vents and pockets but too hot for 11 months of the year.
Altura Nevis (£50) - casual cut, great price but too baggy and hot for longer rides.
Altura Night Vision (same jacket as Nevis) - reflectives light up like a Xmas tree.

I'm not sure if any one garment could ever be ideal for all types of ride/rider/budget.

Choose some price points and design the best you can for those prices.

Cheaper breathable fabrics dont perform as well as more expensive versions so need vents (pitzips).
Cheap zips leak water and bust when clumsy gloved hands try to operate them on the move.
Seams on the shoulder wear as rucksack straps chafe away at them...

Here's my wishlist...
Breathable & waterproof.
1 zipped pocket at the small of the back.
1 zipped credit card pocket on the breast.
Cuffs not too tight (to fit over gloves and so sleeves can be rolled up).
NOT DayGlo (controversial I know!)
High fleece-lined collar.
External stormflap with velcro tags to keep jacket closed when unzipped.
Dropped tail.
Tags on the zips for easy use with gloves on.

Rapha have a great feature - a 'bite tag' at the collar to allow one-handed zipping.

You can pay my design royalties through PayPal!:sad:

Best Wishes, Kev

Top Bottom