Your reading list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
So, what's on your reading list? Once I've finished Charles Darwin's The Origin of Species, which is proving to be slow bed time reading, I've got Ian Curtis's widow's biography, 'Touching From a Distance' to read. I'm a sucker for these musical suicides; I've already read a biography on Nick Drake. After that I want to read a book I've seen bill-boarded called 'Phoenix Squadron' about some bombing raid by HMS Ark Royal Buccaneers. I also think I should read The Great Gatsby at some point. I saw it being discussed in a prison group on The Wire, and I also read about it in a book called 'Reading Lolita in Iran'. Then I think I may read Little Women, just to find out what makes women tick. Oh, and some point I want to read the book version of Midnight Cowboy.

chap

Veteran
Yellow Fang said:
So, what's on your reading list? Once I've finished Charles Darwin's The Origin of Species, which is proving to be slow bed time reading, I've got Ian Curtis's widow's biography, 'Touching From a Distance' to read. I'm a sucker for these musical suicides; I've already read a biography on Nick Drake. After that I want to read a book I've seen bill-boarded called 'Phoenix Squadron' about some bombing raid by HMS Ark Royal Buccaneers. I also think I should read The Great Gatsby at some point. I saw it being discussed in a prison group on The Wire, and I also read about it in a book called 'Reading Lolita in Iran'. Then I think I may read Little Women, just to find out what makes women tick. Oh, and some point I want to read the book version of Midnight Cowboy.

I have a soft spot for 'The Great Gatsby.'
At the moment, I'm racing through 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' be Jared Diamond

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Low-brow, some would say, but WH Auden was a big fan...no , I found that out later, before stumbling on them myself....

All the Raymond Chandler thrillers. "She had legs to make a Bishop kick in a stained glass window". Fabulous plots, and written with a wonderful brevity of phrase.

{ exists to Pseuds-Corner bunker, clutching at bow tie}

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
  • Wordpress Visual Quickstart Guide - neuman Beck
  • Smashine Wordpress - Hedengren
  • Making Mad Toys and Mechanical Marvels in Wood
  • Northumbrian Bagpipes - Cocks and Bryan
  • Railway Modeller - Current issue
  • Bank Statement - HSBC

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I've just finished the Lisbeth Salander trilogy by Stieg Larsson and brilliant it was too. Certainly as good as the Wallander books and I even preferred it in some ways.

I am now going to bash through a history of the Peninsular War.

rh100

Olaf Stapledon - Starmaker
Mark Beaumont - The man who cycled the world - (just getting to Bulgaria)

ASC1951

Guru
rh100 said:
Olaf Stapledon - Starmaker
I'm a big fan of British - rather than US - Science Fiction, especially Arthur C Clarke, but I admit I found Starmaker hard going. Last and First Men works well, and have you read his very touching novella, Sirius?

Existence and Existents by Emmanuel Levinas
Security, Territory, Populations by Michael Foucault
The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life by Erving Goffman

rh100

ASC1951 said:
I'm a big fan of British - rather than US - Science Fiction, especially Arthur C Clarke, but I admit I found Starmaker hard going. Last and First Men works well, and have you read his very touching novella, Sirius?

I've only got so far through it at the moment, it's the first I've read of his. It's a bit on the weird side as most SF I've read has been more modern. It's definitely not one I can get engrossed in.

I have First and Last Men on the shelf, have not heard of Sirius, but will give it a go if you recommend it.

I loved Clarkes 2001, both film and book, I always tell people to read the book when they complain that film was not understandable. I've also the rest of the series, 2010 being the best of those with not a bad film to go with it. I probably read others of his when I was a big sci fi fan as a teenager but can't recall them at the moment.

Greedo

When I've finished the current issue of Nuts I'm then onto the following

Zoo
Loaded
FHM
Mayfair

Or so most on here would like to think!:ohmy:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Dayvo said:
Books on the go at the mo are:

Mr Nice

Shantaram

A Fortunate Life

The Rise and Rise of Kerry Packer

Nr Nice got on my wick, Dayvo.

Talking of Kerry Packer, did you ever listen to the Twelfth Man CDs taking the mick out of Benaud, Greig, Chappel commentators? You'd love it.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
rich p said:
Nr Nice got on my wick, Dayvo.

(I know his daughter!)

My reading list is currently Policing America's Empire by Alfred W. McCoy (for work), Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (didn't read it when it came out and found it in a bargain bin), and Paul J. McAuley's Gardens of the Sun (excellent contemporary British SF).

Top Bottom