Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
As per dave r and TF above. 108 miles of non stop up and down and wind.^_^ That's head wind......................not the other kind.

A real good day.
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2625568
http://app.strava.com/activities/140070247/overview

Should've had gears on ya bike, would've been quicker innit?

Attachments

• Team Conway for Cycle Chat.jpg
    Team Conway for Cycle Chat.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 50
D

Deleted member 1258

Riding a bicycle is my greatest discovery. If pedals and porridge are involved - count me in! This slight over-enthusiasm has put me in several out-of-my-comfort-zone cycling extravaganzas - namely races or sportives.

http://www.the5milecyclist.com/apps/blog/show/42243261-sporting-sportives

Mice :hello:

Nice write up, my cycling enthusiasm had me up for a 100 mile fixed ride today, my first 100 for about 2 years and my longest fixed ride ever, my previous had been about 80 miles, its good to challenge yourself once in a while, if you don't you end up just riding in your comfort zone and end up going stale, its also a lovely feeling to accept a challenge and achieve it.

Lovely write up Mice

Nice write up, my cycling enthusiasm had me up for a 100 mile fixed ride today, my first 100 for about 2 years and my longest fixed ride ever, my previous had been about 80 miles, its good to challenge yourself once in a while, if you don't you end up just riding in your comfort zone and end up going stale, its also a lovely feeling to accept a challenge and achieve it.

Thank you peeps - that's very kind.

Chapeau @dave r on your first fixie century - that's awesome. You are so right about pushing the comfort zone envelope - I need to do that more. I have been told my completing time for yesterday is 2:10:10 (that's hours mins secs, not days hours mins!) and my Garmin says 2746 ft of ascent over 29.82 miles. Am definitely going to target more hills - I have been given a great tip to see hills as cake and to devour them as though they are so they become an incentive for further baked goods!! Brilliant!!

Happy cycling, peeps

Mice:hello:

Commute in this morning was lovely until the last mile, rear wheel rim exploded and had to shoulder the bike the rest of the way to work. The two guys smoking outside their office s**t themselves when it went!! Luckily no damage to tyre. Just ordered a new rear wheel so will be off the bike for a few days until it arrives.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A very muddy ride in the woods.

The enemy has got one of those Gerbil Doodad 800’s and the other day looking on the JUSTGORIDE website I saw someone who had uploaded a cross country route in the woods around Goring/Woodcote/Whitchurch. I uploaded it onto the doodad, got the MTB out and set off to see if I could follow it, the route was designated “Easy”.

It was great fun, it was very muddy, it was beautiful, it was muddy again and it was hilly and muddy, the woods were a delight and it was muddy. The sun was out, then it went in, then it was windy then it pi$$ed down then it was warm and sunny again.

Easy? Was it bollicks. Anyway 25.84 miles today, quite hard at times and I crashed...twice. It was the most fun I’ve had on a bike for ages. Loved it.
1-IMG_0633.JPG

In the woods
2-IMG_0635.JPG

At last some down hill

3-IMG_0639.JPG

Great Views

4-IMG_0643.JPG

Baa Lambs
5-IMG_0645.JPG

Come in No.16 your time is up

6-IMG_0648.JPG

Lovley
7-IMG_0660.JPG

I was up there just now.
8-IMG_0662.JPG

Up on the hills are Emus or Llamas or summink
9-IMG_0663.JPG

Dirty Bike.
Muddy Ride in the Woods.png

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Since posting about my 100 mile ride I've had a humdinger of a cold, I caught it whilst camping in the Forest of Dean on the bank holiday weekend. I cycled to work all last week and then rested up for this weekend.
So my ride today has been the epic Hardwick- Cambridge - Hardwick commute which I did at half pace. I fell asleep at morning break, and at lunch as I was so tired (I'll call it a cafe stop).
I hope I'm good for the weekend I need to get out for a longish ride.

With love from the Lethargy Velo CC

gavgav

Guru
The Shropshire monsoon season finally abated this afternoon and the wind died down a bit, to just a howling gale ;) so I got out for my 1st ride in over a week, after work.

A regular route out to Upton Magna, through a deepish flood after Uffington, skirting Haughmond Hill, flew down Somerwood straight with the wind behind me and into Longdon on Tern. I then wanted the road to Isombridge, only to find it was closed! However I wasn't going to be put off and went for a nosey, to find that I could just squeeze past a big hole in the road and carried on. I was averaging 13 mph so far, but knew that I was about to turn into the strong wind and sure enough it arrived, along with more floods. Boy it has rained around here in the past week.

I struggled against the wind for the journey back, and passed the bizarre sight at the Sports Village of a chap cycling around the tennis courts on a unicycle whilst juggling tennis balls :laugh: :blink:!

20.89 miles at 12.2 avg mph

Muddy and wet bike again!

Cyclist33

Cor! What palava!

Last night we planned our route on JUSTGORIDE and uploaded it to the enemy’s new Garmin 800 doodad ready for the ride today, 60 miles round a bit of Oxfordshire.

We nearly didn’t go ‘cos of weather, the enemy not feeling up to it and what ‘ave you. Anyway we eventually stopped faffing about and M’dTFU, got sorted and off we went.

Something was rattling on my bike for the first couple of miles and it was driving me bonkers, I eventually found the culprit, it was the adjuster nut on my Brooks saddle, rattling up and down the thread so it was, so I sorted the feckin’ thing out, then up Whitchurch hill and for some reason I got up there a lot quicker than I usually do, I don’t know if it was the new shoes, or the wind, or I have more energy or what, but it was great.

Usually I get going pretty fast up hills but towards the end I slow down and the enemy catches me up and passes me, not today though. I waited at the top for her and she say she thinks something wrong with the BB, or the chain set, or the wheel, you know one of those noises that you can’t work out where it’s coming from. We press on.

The weather is grey, greyer than gay Graham Gray’s grey pants on a grey day in Grays. And windy, windier than…but the downhill into Goring was ACE, 36.1 mph fantastic. I waited at the bottom for the missus eventually she arrives and summates up with the bike its running like a pig, the bike shop in Goring is closed, but I see two cyclists down the road, one of them knows his bikes it seems and he ascertains that the bearings are shot in the rear wheel. Bugger.

We decide to abandon the ride and got for lunch in Streatley, only 7 miles into the ride, fantastic lunch, roast pork with the all the trimmings. Whilst there we decide to take the short route home and see if we can sort out the wheel ourselves. On the way home I can hear Jane’s wheel creaking and cracking so slowly does it, then my chain came off. Sod it.

Eventually we get home. Take the wheel apart, the bearings on one side have gone brown with wear, so we go off to Evans to get new bearings and axle doodads but Evans don’t have the axle, so we take the bearings and we eventually get the rest of it in Halfords of all places. At home and after a lot of faff and Tube of U searching we fix the wheel. Sorted- Bosh-Tuesday.

It doesn't sound it but it has been a fun day.

View attachment 44825

Grey Day
View attachment 44826

A big stone from The Ridgway outside the Swan

View attachment 44827

Feckin' Chain!

View attachment 44828

Last (only) time I went there, I had no food but a large quantity of brandy 'n' port. After ales. Man that was a looong walk home!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just back from a short ride inbetween downpours. 4.51 miles in 20 mins. It was supposed to be our little 5.3 round the block route but it got cut short as OH had a flat and I whizzed home to get the car to go back and collect him as the temp was dropping like a stone and some serious black clouds were arriving. Just got back in our front door when it rained stair rods and the big puddle in the road looked like it was boiling.

The saddle has been moved forward half an inch but it needs lowering half an inch too I think. Those gears definitely need indexing, they are just horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom