Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Today had a couple of goals in mind. 1) to complete this months +100km ride and 2) to weed my Grandad's garden. Sounds odd to include them together I know, but he happens to live just over 50km away and having done too many hours in the garden on Monday in torrential rain trying to restore some order to my late Grannie's rockery, something which my Grandad maintained until last year (he's now 91), it was needing some more work today.

I had that usual, what shall I wear problem this morning, the forecast said one thing (cloudy) whilst outside said another (cloudy but potentially breaking up) and as a precaution I threw in a pocket sized sunscreen as well as my 3/4 length cycling shorts. I went out in my longs, but with a s/s top and before 9am this morning had to stop to put on that sunscreen! The cloud broke up, the :sun:came out and it was hot and I was burning before 9am in the morning - its not fair, but I am very fair skinned and am now covered in an outbreak of freckles! I only go brown when the freckles join up! :laugh:

My route out to my Grandfather's was meant to include some new roads, sadly my Garmin is up to its old tricks and whilst it will happily receive a course, if you alter the course and resend it to the Garmin, you don't get the new course... :wacko: I didn't really pick up on this straight away, so it was a while before I realised I wasn't going to be going via new route... oh well, the old one was pleasant enough once you have done the water splash, dodged the potholes/missing road surface and dealt with the unmanned level crossing with gates that are a pain in the derrière for cyclists...:banghead:

From there things look up, single track country lanes and life to yourself...

IMG_0521.JPG

Just after taking this photo, a landrover arrived on the scene - typical!

IMG_0522.JPG

Cheshire country lanes...

IMG_0523.JPG

The pub wasn't open yet sadly. I could have done with some refreshment, but there was the most wonderful smell of wild garlic in the air!

IMG_0528.JPG

I just had to stop and take a photo of these trees!
From here it was then time for some hardwork. Shraley Brook to Halmer End to Alsagers Bank... its a climb and part way up it I met a mountain biker coming down. I said hello and got 'the' look :eek:. One of those death stares and a snort of derision... I don't think he thought a woman on a road bike with panniers should be doing that climb :wacko:, Oh well. I know it, its one the many places that I grew up around and it is an 'interesting' climb with a nasty kick in it at the very top and the road surface is not one that assists cyclists... Made it in one, not my quickest time, but it was surprisingly warm and I actually found it easier than previously...
From there it was downhill, almost all the way to my Grandfather's and some welcome rest. refreshment and then onto 3 hours of gardening.

Home was well mostly boring, the sunshine having disappeared (thankfully), me following a road I know very well and just heading the most direct route home, but there were some patches of really nice light which, being alone, I was able to stop and photo.

IMG_0534.JPG

This being one of them and that 'blue' in the background is actually dark grey cloud!

IMG_0535.JPG

I'm heading that way. The Cheshire plains don't offer much to photo!

Before long I'm into very familiar territory and on closed roads...
IMG_0541.JPG

The Bridge is still out and has been since the end of January. In theory, it re-opens in 2 weeks time. I'm not sure I see that happening; there is still no road!

Now I have a choice here. I can carry the bike up 3 flights of steps and it a nasty rat run of a road in rush hour,
IMG_0542.JPG

Or I can take the Whitegate Way home... My distance says 98.1km and thankfully it is more than 4 km from this point, so I will safely make my +100km ride and can take the nice route home :wahhey:

http://www.strava.com/activities/141474192 102.7km with a 20.0kph average, 2 panniers and one sunburnt SNSSO!

Haven't been out for a week and boy did my legs know it today. I planned my route last night and only a few miles in, one of the roads I planned using was closed and I couldn't get through due to roadworks so had to double back on myself. I put a few local climbs in and they really took it out of my legs. Three quarters of the way round I was struggling up a small hill and suddenly saw a lot of insects in the air in front of me, a little closer all I could hear was buzzing yes I rode through a swarm of bees. Well you can forget gels, that was all I needed for a sudden burst of energy especially as I'm allergic to bee stings. God knows what I would have done if I had been stung,certainly couldn't of ridden home.
So all in all a lovely day with 63miles covered with a slightly disappointing average of 15.3mph and legs like lead.

I always like to take a couple of piccies,

A few daisies while stopped for a drink,

14005060330_ca0cd84952_z.jpg
Trying not to destroy the flora and forna.
by paul139, on Flickr

Got a bit of a soft spot for churches, this is Gestingthorpe church,

14191725555_50f7761117_z.jpg
Gestingthorpe church.
by paul139, on Flickr

Here's the route.
https://www.strava.com/activities/141407523

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
First ride for a week today. I'm on a course at the moment and haven't felt like getting out of an evening the last few days but this evening was different - it's lovely and warm out and there is only a light wind so I headed for a quick spin round the short version of my Acton Burnell route.

I took the knockabout bike as I wanted to give it its first run with the new grippy pedals and it feels much nicer.

Apart from a bit of traffic in the first couple of miles I had the lanes practically to myself. I only passed a handful of cars and a couple of cyclists on the way.

Thanks to the calm air I was able to press on quite well and covered the 17.3 miles at 14.9 mph average. Not too shabby on this bike.^_^

DSC0000880.jpg

A bit of early hay harvesting going on at Cantlop.

DSC0000882.jpg

Later on at Ryton - more operations going on in the field (they've been spraying something and the place smells of plastic) and a bit of mist forming in the Stretton valley.

thetribe

Über Member
I only did my 11 mile loop today so wasn't going to mention anything but although I thought I had a good day yesterday, averaging 16.4mph on my 20 mile route, my legs must have been enjoying things as today I averaged 17.9mph over the 10.7 mile segment, smashing a full 5 minutes off my previous time. This is way better than anything I've managed before. Makes me think that maybe I could go out with the bigger boys one day. :dance:

Bns9AqRCMAAZ72s.jpg

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just back from my ride. 16.87 in 69 mins. I got up to 29 miles an hour, down the UEA hill.
I rode from home towards Wattlefield then took in Spooner Row and back to Wymondham and then along toward the hospital as usual and then added on Eaton and to the UEA, down the hill on the B1108 and in to the hospital.
Brilliant ride, I averaged 14.7mph without really trying so I was chuffed.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Had some spare time this morning so hooked up with the BTOTC ride to Clevedon, before splitting off to work ( thus avoiding the pub lunch - although i dd manage a bag of chips on the seafront ^_^ )

The BTOTC is a group of many retired Bristolians who venture out every Thursday for a ride - normally riding about 50 miles & including a pub lunch !

The route today started at Ashton Bridge & soon joined the very pleasant Festival Way through Long Ashton, before the climb of Backwell Hill which leads to Bristol Airport, then the fast descent to Wrington and onto Congresbury & across Kenn moor to the Salthouse pub on Clevedon seafront.

2014-05-15 12.07.12.jpg

http://www.strava.com/activities/141587644

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Today's ride, posted today... :smile:

After gardening and homely duties today, I got the chance to pop out for a blast round Pitsford Res this evening. I'd txt'd a few mates to see who was around to join me. Two were still working, but one was up for it.
We met at 18:00 and got to the Res via Spectacle Lane, a route he'd not done before, and thence up to Pitsford. We chatted about whether to go clock or anticlockwise, but, as we later discovered, it made no difference!
We got to the dam wall, at the southern end, and it was closed for some 'Works', so we had to turn back and ride back the way we'd come.. Only 9 miles though, and it was nice to eat the same flies and bugs that we'd spat out on the way there!
Blimey, there was some flying wildlife around this evening!!

DSC_2088.jpg

DSC_2090.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen the reservoir so calm before..

DSC_2093.jpg

Barely a ripple to be seen, apart from wildlife flapping around on the water and a fly fisherman in his boat! And the occasional couple of folk enjoying a peaceful paddle on their surfboards.

Two days off work. Two crackin' bike rides.... Both in lovely weather.... What could be better than that?

DSC_2095.jpg

Back home to enjoy a nice glass of bitter in the garden before supper.

Life is good!

Just under 30 miles on the Hardtail.

http://www.strava.com/activities/141531505

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have 8 days of cycling planned, including family visits to Nottingham, Coventry and Towcester, and the Cotswold Challenge audax event from Meriden on Saturday. I made the decision to ride my Cannondale, despite it feeling overgeared for me on steep hills, some of which I will be encountering on this holiday. "What doesn't kill me. makes me stronger", eh ... :whistle:

Yesterday's ride: Hebden Bridge to Ambergate, a train to Beeston, then a nice easy ride from Beeston station along the canal path into Nottingham. 127 km/79 miles, with 6 significant climbs totalling about 2,000 metres/6,500 ft.

I to set off at 09:00, the plan being to avoid the 'rush hour' and school run. In practice, the A646 was still busy and I encountered stationary or slow-moving traffic in 2 or 3 places so I was overtaking cars a lot of the time.

I rode round to Greetland and did my first climb up through Outlane, and over the M62 to Scapegoat Hill. I had cut down my luggage to what could be fitted into a 15L rucksack, but it was still way too heavy and bulky to wear for a longish ride such as this. One day I must treat myself to a nice touring bike and use panniers.

A quick descent on a lovely new road surface spat me out in Slaithwaite, but there was no time to recover because I immediately began the second climb over to Meltham. Even with the weight of the rucksack hindering me, the climb felt a lot easier than it did the last time I tackled it, a few years ago when I was obese.

A quick descent into Meltham was followed by another stiff climb to meet nickyboy at the summit above Digley Reservoir. As I mentioned in an earlier post, He volunteered to carry my rucksack for me.

Nickyboy, with Holme Moss in the distance ...

Nickyboy with Holme Moss in distance.JPG

We did a steep descent past Digley Reservoir ...

Digley Reservoir.jpg

After that we climbed through Holme village and then Holme Moss, which will feature on stage 2 of this year's Tour de France. Roadworks halfway up gave me a chance to get my breath back, but TBH, freed of the weight of my rucksack I was feeling ok on the climb. I still think lower gears would suit me better so I am going to put a triple on the bike and get back to spinning. Forcing high(ish) gears round on steep climbs is not doing my damaged left leg a lot of good! Here's picture of me at the summit, the camera looking north ...

ColinJ on summit of Holme Moss.jpg

The descent to Woodhead can sometimes be a bit scary if the wind is playing silly buggers, but it was ok yesterday.

The road round from Woodhead past Torside Reservoir was good to ride and soon brought us into Glossop where we began our ascent of Snake Pass. At that time of day, the traffic was not too bad, but I wouldn't fancy doing the climb when the road is busy. Here is a picture taken from the climb, looking back over Glossop, with Manchester way in the distance ...

View from Snake Pass climb - Glossop below, Manchester in distance.jpg

Nickyboy rode to the summit with me but then his Sherpa-like duties were done - he gave me back my rucksack and headed off back down to Glossop. I descended the other side, all the way down to Ladybower Reservoir, then turned right and headed down the Derwent Valley which was looking splendid in bright sunshine.

Bamford, Hathersage and Grindleford were soon behind me, then I turned left down a narrow lane which took me through the villages of Froggatt and Curbar, and then up a viciously steep climb up to a plateau above the valley. I grovelled up in my 39/29 bottom gear, fantasising about the 26/28 granny gear on my Basso. An old chap and his wife were just getting out of their car at a viewpoint near the summit and he applauded as I winched my way past. I shook my head and gasped "I am getting too old for this lark!" Well, at least in that gear I am ... :laugh:

My route plotting skills seemed to have deserted me ... I thought I was going to ride over a flat plateau, before dropping down to Ambergate to catch my train. In fact, it was more like a rollercoaster, up/down, up/down, up ... Maybe it was because my legs had been killed by that steep climb, and the heavy bag certainly was not helping!

I missed the train that I had intended to catch, and I had about 45 minutes to wait for the next one. I had worked out in advance that a scenic 10 km ride would get me to Duffield station, 2 stops down the line. That would keep me busy ... I thought about it for about 3 seconds, before turning in to Ambergate station and having a welcome rest on a sunny bench!

The train came on time, and soon I arrived in Beeston. It is only about 1 km from the station to the canal, and the canal path was great. "Build it, and they will come." They had done, and they did - the path was being used by scores of joggers, walkers and cyclists.

A bit of confusion with roadworks for Nottingham's coming tram system, and then I arrived chez niece.

I was knackered, but pretty chuffed with the ride, my longest for over 2 years.

Today's ride: Nottingham to Coventry. 97 km/60 miles.

This was supposed to be a recovery ride after yesterday's exertions. I haven't done significant rides on consecutive days for several years but I thought I would be ok with this one.

I set off feeling tired, but I had a very easy start back out to Beeston on the canal path, then continued along the path by the river Trent. I was quite impressed by the surface, and suggest that any bike would be suitable unless you are ultra-fussy about the odd puddle or patch of gravel. I did go a bit offtrack somewhere (not sure how) but I knew where the river was and managed to find my way back to it.

Beeston Canal path.jpg

River Trent path.jpg

Beeston River Path Project.jpg

Attenborough Nature Reserve.jpg

All lovely and positive, eh? And then I read this sign ...

What is up with those people.jpg

WHAT IS UP WITH THOSE PEOPLE! :cursing:

Back to the ride ... I had spotted a quiet lane to get me from Sawley Marina onto the main part of my route. Unfortunately, my digital OS map dates back to 2005 and I discovered that a lot has changed since then! I don't know if a new A-road or motorway is being built, but the road I intended to ride down came to an abrupt stop and there was no question of trying to proceed, there being an awful lot of mud, and heavy plant moving it about! Fortunately, there was a temporary footpath around the works, and a pelican crossing to make it possible to cross the nightmarishly busy trunk road ahead. That got me back onto my planned route.

I didn't take any more photos. I was tired and there was enough wind to be bothersome. And ... I was getting a sore bum! I started standing for minutes at a time to ease the discomfort, which was even more tiring. Oh, and those route-plotting skills - yes, once again I had completely missed the rollercoaster nature of the route. I kept coming across downs which were closely followed by ups too long to coast up. I had been so focussed on big hills that I didn't spot the small ones.

Oh well - lesson learned! I arrived later and more tired than expected, but now I have a 38 hour recovery period before I tackle a 184 km/115 mile ride on Saturday.

Last edited:

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
I don't know what's happening here... for the third time this week I've set off with no particular plan, just a general heading for the afternoon, my bikes don't have a GPS on display, it's an app on the phone which is normally in the saddlebag from start to finish.. so distances for three different rides are 63k, 64.5k and 64k...

Right, today I headed out to around the edge of the Blackdown Hills, I didn't stop that much to take pics but Broadhembury is so 'chocolate box' that I had to take a couple there... and a thatcher doing his work in the heat , he must get a lot of business in this village..
IMG_2869.jpg

I rested a while because I knew what I'd set myself up for next, a beast of a climb that I've only descended a couple of times and thought my brake blocks might melt...2k for 126 metres gain at an average of 7.7%... and now I'd chosen to go up it. So a banana and a picture of the village church before leaving...

IMG_2871.jpg

Once at the top after huffing and puffing and a stop halfway to check my lungs and heart weren't in fact attempting an escape I was as high as it could get here, so safe in the knowledge that any steep inclines would be a good descent I set to spinning a recovery gear and finding my way along a long flat stretch back to Honiton via Upottery and a great view at Dumpdown Hill.

IMG_2875.jpg

There was a long downhill here though Upottery, it was too twisty, gravel covered and narrowed by pretty but overhanging hedgerows to really let the bike go, but stinging thighs were happy enough to have a bit of a break..
I joined an A road here for a bit and headed to my parents house in Honiton for a tea and cake visit (I knew Mum had made a coffee and walnut sponge recently in case of my arrival at sometime this week!!).
So homeward bound, sun still beating down at 5pm and detouring through Ottery St Mary and bombing along this way compared to doing the same road against a stiff headwind earlier in the week.
Figures for those that like them, 64k, 700 metres, 2hrs 51 cycling, 1 hour 30mins tea and caking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom