Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A 42 mile return leg from north Norfolk today in the sunshine.
Weaving through the woods around Sandringham on quiet roads was lovely.
image.jpg

Then it was the short train ride from Kings Lynn to Ely. I wondered about cycling it as it was such a nice day. As far as Downham Market, it's very pleasant, but after that it gets very dull to Ely. Miles of featureless agri desert fenland. My legs were also a little weary after 27 miles, so I chose the train at Lynn. Slacker!

At Ely, the cathedral looked beautiful as ever. How lucky we are to have a forward thinking council here, who are about to plonk a massive bypass at about the point where this picture was taken. A priceless view, and acres of wetland/ meadow will be lost forever so motons can get to Newmarket 5 minutes quicker. No doubt we'll lose this lovely path too. Brilliant- ain't Britain great.

image.jpg

The last 15 miles was pleasant enough though at Wicken Fen I found the first evidence I've seen of chalara herabouts, the ash dieback disease - on some young ash. It's been devastating ash nearer the coast and hasn't reached here until now.

image.jpg

Home by 3. Absolutely whacked, but a great few days riding - around 110 miles since Sunday. Not much for many on here, but for an old git like me, pretty good!

Last edited:

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Went for a ride of about 21 miles this aft. Apart from just havin' fun I was trying out the Altura Dryline bar bag which arrived at lunchtime. 'Seems good. It's in readiness for a four day camping tour in Perthshire, week after next. Here's a couple of pics:

DSC00472.JPG

DSC00475.JPG

I met two young couples along the way who were irritated that I was gonna get anywhere near their kids. If you look closely you'll see one of the little brats had spat their dummy out!

DSC00479.JPG

DSC00482.JPG

They were so stroppy I had to get off the bike and push it, with said machine between me and the grumpy adults.

I had to stop at a cafe for coffee and cake to get over the trauma :sad:.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm a bit tired after riding from Hebden Bridge to Ambergate in the Peak District today. From there I caught a train to Beeston, and then rode into Nottingham on the rather nice Beeston canal towpath.

I am staying with my niece tonight and then riding down to Coventry tomorrow. I am typing this on my Galaxy Tab so I can't be bothered to do a full write-up, but I will have access to a laptop tomorrow and will do reports on this ride plus tomorrow's, including a selection of photos

I just wanted to mention that @nickyboy met me at the top of the climb out of Meltham, then rode with me over Holme Moss, then up to the top of Snake Pass, which was nice ... What was even nicer was that he insisted on carrying my bulky rucksack for me over those two big climbs! I had 6 strenuous climbs to tackle today so it was great to have a break from the bag for 1/3 of them - cheers, Nick! :cheers:

thetribe

Über Member
No pics from todays ride but even after doing the first mile or so at an average of about 12mph before deciding my legs felt fresh and going for it, into the wind over a lot of the route, I managed my 21 miles at an average of 16.4mph, not bad for a fat lad on a tourer. It felt effortless today, don't think that'll happen again for a while :thumbsup:
:bicycle:

So I think I deserve one of these :cheers: Cheers!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm a bit tired after riding from Hebden Bridge to Ambergate in the Peak District today. From there I caught a train to Beeston, and then rode into Nottingham on the rather nice Beeston canal towpath.

I am staying with my niece tonight and then riding down to Coventry tomorrow. I am typing this on my Galaxy Tab so I can't be bothered to do a full write-up, but I will have access to a laptop tomorrow and will do reports on this ride plus tomorrow's, including a selection of photos

I just wanted to mention that @nickyboy met me at the top of the climb out of Meltham, then rode with me over Holme Moss, then up to the top of Snake Pass, which was nice ... What was even nicer was that he insisted on carrying my bulky rucksack for me over those two big climbs! I had 6 strenuous climbs to tackle today so it was great to have a break from the bag for 1/3 of them - cheers, Nick! :cheers:

"My life as a domestique" should be the title of this ride. I've seen those poor guys with a dozen water bottles stuffed up their jerseys for the team on TV. Having carried @ColinJ 's "buky" rucksack up two of the highest passes in the Peak District, I know how they feel.

My only advice on this matter is to surreptitiously weigh his rucksack before offering to carry it for him. Maybe it was lead lined or full of smuggled gold but I certainly felt it up the climbs.

Having gone over Holme Moss both ways and then the Snake I was proper knackered by the time I got home. Only a short one compared to Colin's but enough for me.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just back from 10.9 miles from home to Wreningham, along the cyclepath past Lotus and back via the very edges of Kenninghall. Beautiful evening, not in a hurry at all so took just shy of 51 minutes over the ride. Saw lots of people out on bikes and got overtaken by a folder with drop bars. Heigh ho. He looked like he was in a hurry, we weren't.
I dropped the seat just short of 1/4" and it feels just fantastic now.

gavgav

Guru
My second evening ride of the week. Out through the estate, where i had to slow down as I was going faster than a learner driver I was following and then to upton magna and down the Pelham road to Rodington.

Came across a chap walking four dogs up the middle of the road in upton magna and he was huge! About 6 ft tall and wide, covered in tattoos and looked a right sort! However he have me a nice friendly wave and hello. It just reminded me of a western film where a gang roams into town!!

I then came across a fat cat sat in the road near Rodington, the sort that gives you the look to say this is my road and I'm not moving, only to dart across my path just as I got to it!:eek:

I then took the road to Roden and across to Poynton and Bings Heath, where I came across a Hare sat in the road (theme developing here!). The hare got spooked and decided to hurtle towards me!, realised that was a bad idea, hurtled back in the opposite direction, then round in circles and finally into the hedge! :laugh:

It was then up ebury hill and down the other side at 20 mph where a woman in horsey gear walked out into the road without looking and I had to swerve to avoid her! Her shriek of shock was hilarious!

I continued back to upton magna and home, where in the estate a chap walked out into my path without looking and I had to swerve again!!:blink:

21.06 miles at 12.4 avg mph and lots of obstacles!

Peteaud

Veteran
Day of things breaking (laptop and mitts) so planned ride in the sun was cut short grrrrr so i could get back to get stuff sorted.

Lovely day out with mostly blue skies. I headed off over to Muchelney (scene of the 2014 floods) and across the moors in a big loop.

Nothing really to report other than the new GET now shows the zoom on junctions, but only if set to 500m view :wacko:

P1000977.JPG

Gong into Martock.

P1000980.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrett_Iron_Works

P1000984.JPG

Martock Church

P1000995.JPG

The old Abbey

P1000997.JPG

P1010005.JPG

Great roof line.

All in did 40 miles, so happy with that.

Not so happy with the new win 8 laptop :evil:

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

You won't need to worry about hills going from Nottingham to Coventry. I presume you will becoming close if not through Leicester? Shame I am at work I would have volunteered to keep you company for a bit of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom