Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
I didn't have room for a camera, which is a pity, because the 205km audax I did today from Long Melford had to be one of the prettiest rides possibly in England.

We wound our way down to Harwich, with its views of the estuary, massive ships delivering to Felixstowe, and sailing yachts out for a weekend cruise, back via Dedham (Constaple country) to Stonham Barns, then home via Lavenham. I rode in a small group of 4 from my club, and one of the guys pulled a hamstring a third of the way into the ride. Now, that's not clever on a 125+ mile ride, but I dosed him up with anti-inflammatories, and he applied Rule 5. Part of the spirit of audaxing is that it isn't a race, and you're all in it together, so we agreed to stick with him and get him to the end. Despite this, we managed to get around in under 8 hours and average just a tad under 16 mph.

I may possibly have ridden further than this as a teenager, but this was probably the longest ride of my life. Frankly, I could have done another 50km fairly comfortably, although I was getting a bit stiff by the end. I also made a schoolboy error: at Harwich I stripped out of my long sleever into short sleeves, because it was lovely and sunny, and gave my long sleever to the organiser who took it back to the starting point for me. An hour later I was bitterly regretting it, and making a note to invest in some arm warmers. I'd rather arrive home in a puddle of sweat than stiffening up in the cold.

Wonderful day, in the best spirit of audaxing, and now I am going to eat for England!

Oh BTW, for those who talk about intake: I drank 3 x 750 litre bottles of water and had a couple of cups of tea. I had 2 cakes en route, and a couple of "Eat Natural" crunchy bars, and when I got to the end I wasn't dehydrated at all.

Great day! :smile:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I didn't have room for a camera, which is a pity, because the 205km audax I did today from Long Melford had to be one of the prettiest rides possibly in England.

We wound our way down to Harwich, with its views of the estuary, massive ships delivering to Felixstowe, and sailing yachts out for a weekend cruise, back via Dedham (Constaple country) to Stonham Barns, then home via Lavenham. I rode in a small group of 4 from my club, and one of the guys pulled a hamstring a third of the way into the ride. Now, that's not clever on a 125+ mile ride, but I dosed him up with anti-inflammatories, and he applied Rule 5. Part of the spirit of audaxing is that it isn't a race, and you're all in it together, so we agreed to stick with him and get him to the end. Despite this, we managed to get around in under 8 hours and average just a tad under 16 mph.

I may possibly have ridden further than this as a teenager, but this was probably the longest ride of my life. Frankly, I could have done another 50km fairly comfortably, although I was getting a bit stiff by the end. I also made a schoolboy error: at Harwich I stripped out of my long sleever into short sleeves, because it was lovely and sunny, and gave my long sleever to the organiser who took it back to the starting point for me. An hour later I was bitterly regretting it, and making a note to invest in some arm warmers. I'd rather arrive home in a puddle of sweat than stiffening up in the cold.

Wonderful day, in the best spirit of audaxing, and now I am going to eat for England!

Oh BTW, for those who talk about intake: I drank 3 x 750 litre bottles of water and had a couple of cups of tea. I had 2 cakes en route, and a couple of "Eat Natural" crunchy bars, and when I got to the end I wasn't dehydrated at all.

Great day! :smile:

Congratulations mike. Great ride and write up. Many thanks for sharing.

flatflr

Guru
We did the Wiggle sportive today, near Christchurch, the 75 mile route as we did not have time to do the 100 because of a family party tonight. We enjoy the sportives, they are well run with great routes and have a fun atmosphere. 4.5 hours on the bike.

Also did the sportive today with a mate, another well organised Wiggle event, and nice and warm which was a nice change. We did say we were going to take it nice and easy we put the pace on a bit for this one and averaged 17.9mph, my calves started to cramp up with 15 miles to go but just remembered rule #5 and kept things turning.

Time for curry and beer:smile:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Entered the Silk Run audax from Tewkesbury today, and it turned out to be just about my longest ride for 3 years. Officially it was a 105Km (65.6 mile) audax, but I had parked at the advertised start, only to find that it had been moved to a pub about a mile away. That added 2 miles, and I added another 1.4 with a little detour during the event, making it 69 miles in all. Unlike @ MikeG above, I honestly couldn't have gone any further today. I was whacked at the finish.
Went off a bit too fast for the first 10 miles or so, trying to keep up with @Pikey, who was up from Wiltshire for the day and who introduced himself to me at the start. Nice guy. The peloton quickly split into litlle grupettos due to traffic lights, level crossings and busy junctions holding people up, so in one way I was quite glad to have gone off fast.
Quite apart from the change of start location, we were also given a brevet card with two questions to answer at "Info Controls". This wasn't helped by one of the info controls being listed in the wrong place, and the other having the enigmatic question "how many....." to answer. I just answered "42" being the answer to life, the universe etc according to the Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Apparently the correct answer was "3". So there were 3 of them then .... whatever they were.
The event was dominated by the huge long drag out of the Vale of Gloucester up past Snowshill lavender farm to Broadway Tower in Worcestershire. I got up this without stopping, but my bum, my back, and my right calf all started to give me pain, and I arrived at the first control after 22 miles feeling quite shattered and lacking energy. Stage 2 started with a lovely freewheel down Fish Hill on the A44 , and for the first time in my life I took a deliberate long way round so that I could do the whole hill before turning back to get back on route in Broadway. Hit 35.5mph before my map holder decided to start acting as an aerofoil and gave me the fright of my life, nearly turning me into the Birdman of Gloucester.
It was at this point that it hit me that I still had over 45 miles to go, and that my legs had gone.
Two further stops at Beckford Silk Cafe and St Peters Garden Centre were like finding oases in the desert, and I must say the other riders today were an incredibly friendly bunch and made it a nice day out in spite of the pain. Several came over to see me at the start, including a couple of lads who had helped me with a "mechanical" on an earlier audax a few years ago, and a few more who recognised me from the BHF Cotswolds ride or the Windrush Winter warm-up. Spent longer than I intended chatting over my tea and cakes, and with that, blew any chance of setting a PB.
Limped back in to the finish in Tewkesbury for a disappointing time of 6hrs 45mins, But felt good for getting round. There were still a few people out on the road, so no shame. Hope to bump into a few new friends again on the circuit. Wished I'd taken the camera, as there was some fantastic scenery, but the only picture I have of today was taken by Mrs Donger (of the aftermath). After a nice cold beer, a hot bath and a chinese takeaway, i'm starting to feel OK again.
May 2014 Silk Run Audax 004.jpg
Cheers! Donger.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds like a great ride!

I solved the camera problem by buying a very small smartphone (Xperia Ray) capable of taking reasonable photos, making one less gadget to carry. (The pictures won't win any awards, but they are fine for general web use - example below. The dark shadow in the top left is possibly caused by my finger getting too close to the lens.)

The Grand Departs 3.jpg

They don't come much handier than this ...

Xperia Ray.jpg

MikeG

Guru
I don't do mobiles......... The bloody things take over your life. But yeah, those look like decent photos from a phone.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't do mobiles......... The bloody things take over your life. But yeah, those look like decent photos from a phone.
I'm not keen on spending my life on the phone either. I originally started carrying one on my forum rides so I could let people know if I was held up, or track them down if they had gone missing. I have turned off the voicemail so people can't leave me messages that they then demand that I answer, and I generally don't answer voice calls when riding. It forces people to wait until I get back or text me instead, In the latter case, I read/reply to messages if & when I feel like it!

I do generally carry the phone now, mainly for its camera, but also in case of problems.

Pedantic point - the second picture is 'of a phone' rather than 'from a phone'! :thumbsup:

Today I had a mind to do a ride. So I started off at 05:10 and rode down to Keswick via Wetheral & Little Blenco. I found the old railway line to Keswick rougher than I remember but the I haven't rode it more than a couple of times but I used to walk and jog on it. I would like to say I rode Whinlatter but I dismounted and pushed about 50%of the way. My map reading was a little aria coming off Whinlatter (never seen that place as busy) and I entered Loweswater at a different point to what I expected. Once more the dismount and push technique, seemed to be wiser than struggling on the Pedals. Most of the cycle ways from Kirkland were great, though there was some rough patches. From Whitehaven I fair flew, the best riding I have had for a long time, right up to Sunny Silloth. A choice had to be made here, whether to ride round the coast or head for Wigton station. Discretion seemed the better part of valor (or I rather chickened out) 104 miles to Wigton station which I arrived at at 19:10 (rather nice timing) and then another 3 miles to home 107.dot all told. Mistakes were made, which I may report on this page some time soon but overall an enjoyable if knackering ride, which I will not repeat tomorrow. Now I am off for a shower followed by a few Crampex's. Alcohol will be consumed tomorrow.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
SAM_1324.JPG
I did 31 miles today, in beautiful sunshine. My ride took me to Old Colwyn, Llandudno, Conwy , Penmanwmaur and back to Colwyn Bay. I met these two cylists who stopped to take a picture of me. They were on a cycling holiday and came from Cardiff and Nottingham. They were staying in Betws y Coed where they started their cycling day from, then all around the Isle of Anglesey and back to Betws y Coed through Conwy. By the time I met them, they had already covered 110 miles and still has another 20 to go to get back to base. They are certainly fitter than me!
The photo below was coming back from Pen. The sea shore of Llandudno on one side and....
SAM_1322.JPG
...a lovely mountain on the other
SAM_1320.JPG

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I rode from home to the hospital via Little Melton again tonight. I was early when I got to the layby so I turned the gps back on for the warm down so I could see how long I was gently riding about for, out of interest. I rode round the Eaton block which is a couple of miles to find that there were still no Hubster in the layby so I rode around the carpark to where his car was and discovered that it had gone. The bugger hadn't waited for me. I looked at my phone and his text that said that he was off home. He must have passed me at some point and didn't stop. I texted back something along the lines of 'thanks for waiting' and set out for home.

I got round the edge of the housing estate near the hospital and then along the cyclepath to Hethersett - it's really odd doing it backwards to normal - over Colney Lane and down on more of the cyclepath where I came across himself who had come to fetch me. I had half decided to ride home but when I saw the car I thought that I would take the easy option.

First half of ride was 10.29 miles in 39 mins and change, averaging 15.7 mph, the second half was 7.24 miles in 33 mins and change averaging 12.9 mph. I did that nice slow loop to start with , had I realised that hubs wasn't going to wait, I'd have lit out for home at a more sensible pace. My legs feel a bit stiff now.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
1992SchwinnCrissCross_zpsd625c99b.jpg
Had to test out the new Schwinn Criss Cross today, 21 miles overland, much of it through the great empty.
BikebyRoadside2_zpsc768924e.jpg
Parked my bike by an old farmstead site, for the shade
Towanda1_zps17b62aa4.jpg
Pretty Park in Towanda
OldFederalSirenatTowandaIllinois_zps8f25a4ea.jpg
And, for you old siren aficionados, here's an old Federal from the early Cold War
GrainElevatoratTowanda_zps4ecffbd3.jpg
Grain Elevator next to the Union Pacific Mainline, sorry, we just missed Texas Eagle and a freight train
TowandaWaterTower_zpsa1e3b37e.jpg
Water Tower, light bulb type
TrailonG_zps89158242.jpg
MUP next to General Electric Road
ChateauandSugarCreek_zps0b05928f.jpg
Sugar Creek, near The Chateau
ConnieLinkAmphitheater_zps98595b3d.jpg
A nice little amphitheater for the Summer Theater Program, built to replace one that was burned down, and named for the lady who lead the program many years. This one is made of concrete, and accessible mainly and most conveniently by bike or walking.

21 Miles, over asphalt, gravel, concrete, and rocky roads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom