Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
so i finally got boardman cx team back today yay....a wee recovery run tomorrow planned being putting the miles in on the WATT Bike in the gym 160 this week, lets see if its paid off

ScotiaLass

Guru
The lad decided he would come for a ride today and before we set off, we decided we wanted to break the 20 mile barrier we seem to have got stuck on recently.
It was glorious; warm, blue skies with a few clouds and just the light, occasional breeze.

We set off and got to the Falkirk Wheel. It was here we decided we would head towards Glasgow instead of going up to the top of the wheel and doing the loop back along the towpaths that would take us home. The towpath was much rougher in this direction, so half a mile in I stopped and unlocked the forks, which absorbed the rough bumps and made it more comfortable for me.
We plodded along enjoying the scenery and chatting and we had decided we would stop when my Cateye rolled round to the 16 mile mark, and start the journey homewards.
20140531_115809.jpg
20140531_115935.jpg

Plodding onwards... Ploughing back!

20140531_115840.jpg

A selfie of me and the lad in the sun

We hadn't brought food, so stopped at the Falkirk Wheel on the way back and got sandwiches/drinks, a fat fee yoghurt for me and a choccie biscuit for the lad. Sorted! We sat and ate and then headed up the usual route home.
There was lots of wildlife today; ducks with ducklings, swans and cygnets, and herons.
I felt a little tired setting off again but once the food kicked in I was fine.
We got home and the mileage?
30 miles :hyper:

That's the longest I've done in one go, and if my butt hadn't been hurting I am sure I could have done a little more!
It's the lads 20th Birthday tomorrow and I've said I'll take him into town on Tuesday to buy him something (I have a card and a small gift here for him for tomorrow). He wants cycling shorts...

I'm so pleased with the mileage :wahhey:

Edited to add, it's his birthday on Monday, not tomorrow....the sun has got to me!

Last edited:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
A glorious day for cycling in West Central Scotland indeed, @ScotiaLass !, and well done on the mileage :bravo:

It was the last chance for me to complete the Strava Gran Fondo challenge, so off I went up the tak-ma-doon, besting my previous PB by a minute and a half, then headed west on rolling terrain all the way to Faslane, before bombing it back home along the Clyde. Managed to push the pace up enough to complete the 140km in bang on 5 hours, which was very pleasing.

Realized about half way round that I probably should have but on sunscreen before leaving. There might be pain tomorrow, and not just in the legs...

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The plan for today was to get out and do somewhere around 40 miles with Doug....... What actually happened was that after a fairly strenuous gardening session yesterday I massively overslept and felt really lethargic when I did get up :blush:, so wasn't ready for a ride until about 2pm. By that time Doug didn't want to do a long ride but said that he would like to have a go at beating his personal best round the Acton Burnell route.

After having to tweek his bike at the start to fix the speedometer (the magnet had got turned round) we set out onto surprisingly quiet roads and almost ideal weather conditions for what we had in mind. Doug set a good pace on the flat (the adjustments to the bike from the last ride paying dividends) and wasn't too bad on the uphill sections either. We did have to make a stop shortly after Pitchford to adjust the saddle again but he seemed happy once that was done.

Pitchford, to Longnor wasn't quick as there is a lot of gentle climbing on this section but then we were able to get some speed up after Longnor (apart from getting baulked by a police car on one of the lanes) which helped bring the average speed back up again.

We did just under 17 miles at 14.4 mph average this time, which is a decent improvement on Dougs previous best round this route.:thumbsup: He looks pretty puffed now, but happy.

This wasn't really a ride for photography - I just grabbed a couple of snaps when we stopped:

DSC0000949.jpg

Drink stop at Great Ryton. Doug looks pretty knackered.

DSC0000950.jpg

One of my regular views of the hills from the same place.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
We did the Wiggle sportive today, near Christchurch, the 75 mile route as we did not have time to do the 100 because of a family party tonight. We enjoy the sportives, they are well run with great routes and have a fun atmosphere. 4.5 hours on the bike.

Only a few photos today too busy riding
image.jpg

First feed station.

image.jpg

Vehicle support ( thunderbird 2)

image.jpg

Wiggle Van ( Thunderbird 4 )

image.jpg

The views were stunning at the top, it was a bugger getting there though!

image.jpg

Cloudy day but warm.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The phone of I took about 200 photos of the inside of my shirt, here's one of them!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Bryony

Veteran
As some of you know I had my first ever club social ride.

The Herne Bay Ladies were great! They were very welcoming and encouraging. They understand that I'm not that fast yet and rode at my speed.

They had picked a lovely route through some beautiful countryside. We started off in Sandwich, went through Worth, Ham (yes we have a place called Ham and Sandwich within a few miles of each other!) We then went through Eastry and out into open country til we reached Gibsons Farm Shop for a food stop (lovely food)

After some refuelling we then travelled through Littlebourne and Wickhambreaux, on to Ash then back to Sandwich. We did 24.4 miles, a couple of hills defeated me but a lot of them didn't ^_^

We had brilliant weather and I think I'm a little sunburnt!

Didn't manage to get photos on route but got a few at the cake stop!
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After finishing work at gone midnight last night, I met one of the chaps I'm riding the Norwich with tomorrow. He called at mine at 08:30 for a 20 ish mile ride as he's not been out for a while. We didn't want anything to strenuous, just to get the legs turning.
We aimed through Cogenhoe, Whiston Hill, Denton and past (Yes! Past) Salcey... no coffee or cake there today!
As he had to be home to take his lad to the airshow at 10:30, we dropped back intotown on the route the Womens Tour took. I am not going to check my Strava on those segments.. :cry:

Another mate was going to see his car that's being renovated, and to take a few bits to the Alfa garage that is working on it (a Lancia Delta Integrale) and we then decided to pop to a cafe in Sywell for coffee and cake. When he went to pay for it, their card reader didn't work, so they let us ride off to the Post Office half a mile away and take the money back to them. I did say t the young lady there that she could hold me hostage for a while, but she didn't fall for my ruse :whistle:
IMG_20140531_192453.jpg

Really tasty cake, and freshly ground coffee.

IMG_20140531_192527.jpg

Not too sure about cheesy goats balls though. Sounds decidedly dodgy to me :laugh:

By the time I got home, I was on 37 miles. More than was planned, but enjoyable nevertheless..
:smile:

http://app.strava.com/activities/147577989

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom