Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biscuit

Legendary Member
Popped some lights on the bike this morning as it was that dark due to the gathering clouds. Just as I left the rolling thunder increased and fat rain started to fall.
At the top of the hill to the next village I was right under the storm. Simultaneous thunder and lightning with biblical rain.
At that point I began to question my decision to take the hilly route today, being on top of the hill, astride a large piece of steel ( no carbon here, oh no ), but still had good views across the valley and the storm.

Later as I rolled into Cambridge the sun was hot, my waterproofs already blown dry by the descent into Linton. What a contrast. Fellow commuters curious about my still flashing lights, and choice of cycle wear.

Roll on the weekend. :thumbsup:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well it's the momentous occasion of my 45th birthday today and I had the day off ( weekend watering payback, so it doesn't eat into my holiday.
I set off early, but tried to take it easy as it was all looking steamy and slippery, I didn't want any offs. I headed out to Haslingfield then scaled Col du Chapel Hill, a really stupid gear change had me grunting for a bit! It was then onto Shepreth and Fowlmere. I took a bit of a wrong one here, but decided to stick with it. I crossed the A505 heading toward Barley, but turned off to Great Chishill. It was then into Essex on newly surfaced roads, bendy,helter skelters. It was great. On into Saffron Walden and on to Ashdon where I stopped. At the post office for more water and a Mars bar. I went past my old house in West Wratting, breaks my heart. I had that garden looking a picture.... Ruined!
I went on through some lovely South West Suffolk villages until I came to stud farm land. It's all artificial, squeaky clean model farms for racehorses. A load of balls in my opinion but as long as normal folk are earning from it....
From Newmarket I went back to Dullingham and took the fantastic road to six Mile Bottom (really!) 40mph without trying, doesn't happen much round here!
I then skirted Cambridge going via Fulborn and Shelford.
I stopped at Barton for more water and an aero..... Lovely. I then bolted on one of my local loops to bring the mileage to 103.5 miles.

Due to family stuff and life in general I haven't been able to do a long ride for a while, so it was lovely. I'm now sat on the sofa watching the tour on the box.
My lovely son has bought me a new Joe Blow track pump!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/544057345#.U8kn0sU8IeU.email

Last edited:

Biscuit

Legendary Member
Well it's the momentous occasion of my 45th birthday today and I had the day off ( weekend watering payback, so it doesn't eat into my holiday.
I set off early, but tried to take it easy as it was all looking steamy and slippery, I didn't want any offs. I headed out to Haslingfield then scaled Col du Chapel Hill, a really stupid gear change had me grunting for a bit! It was then onto Shepreth and Fowlmere. I took a bit of a wrong one here, but decided to stick with it. I crossed the A505 heading toward Barley, but turned off to Great Chishill. It was then into Essex on newly surfaced roads, bendy,helter skelters. It was great. On into Saffron Walden and on to Ashdon where I stopped. At the post office for more water and a Mars bar. I went past my old house in West Wratting, breaks my heart. I had that garden looking a picture.... Ruined!
I went on through some lovely South West Suffolk villages until I came to stud farm land. It's all artificial, squeaky clean model farms for racehorses. A load of balls in my opinion but as long as normal folk are earning from it....
From Newmarket I went back to Dullingham and took the fantastic road to six Mile Bottom (really!) 40mph without trying, doesn't happen much round here!
I stopped at Barton for more water and an aero..... Lovely. I then bolted on one of my local loops to bring the mileage to 103.5 miles.

Due to family stuff and life in general I haven't been able to do a long ride for a while, so it was lovely. I'm now sat on the sofa watching the tour on the box.

What a brilliant day... Happy Birthday !

a tad tough - you know it is hot when yuo're standing under a cool shower glugging down an isotonic drink.

my new Brooks saddle turned up today, so bolted it on and off for a long ride to break it in - alas, it didn't happen like that. just too hot, i used to be good in the hot, but i was done in after a few miles. Richmond Park was blustery, which added to the misery. i gave up really trying anything decent and piffled about.
50km in total and i was cooked on the way home. i had thought the park was bad, but when i left the heat from the tarmac hit me like a wall.

man, a tough one. my ride london 100 is really going to be a struggle.

oh and to add to the misery, my stomach doesn't like the isotonic drink. not bad, just cramps.

if i ddn't have such a beautiful bike i might just give up.

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
Did my Post-Holiday leg stretch today. :bicycle:
It was going to be yesterday, or the day before; but I ended up stripping the bike down to the bearings and re-greasing etc.

Had a van driver speed past me to squeeze past just before an island... Missed me by no more then 3inches. :gun:

Nothing major, as I didn't want to be 40miles away and my wheel fall apart. But instead, a steady 16 miles with an average of just over 16mph. :thanks:

Can't wait to start getting the miles in. I've missed it whilst I was away on holiday... But first, my weekend shifts of getting up at 4am and getting home around 5-6pm. :crazy:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Dam hot here today. even now, its about to hit 30 deg C and thats inside. I didnt stay out long before I felt ill because of the heat, but I did manage to take a few photos.

Today, I ventured over to cemmaes road again, rode across the bridge and sauntered up an unmarked lane.
20140718_112346.jpg

the skies were very dark, but even so the rain didn't materialise. Even though i am a fair weather cyclist on this occasion, i wish it had rained.
20140718_111817.jpg

i rode back down To the village and rode up to the church
20140718_115720.jpg

I like going to churches and churchyards. However, i was unable to go into the church as so often happens nowadays, the church itself was locked, but i could look around the graveyard and take a few photos
20140718_115842.jpg

20140718_115846.jpg

after I left the churchyard, I road down the road towards home, and as usual stopped to take a photo with some water
20140718_115242.jpg

by now, all I wanted to do was go home. The sooner the better for me.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
8.8 miles on the way home today not pushing to hard as not had too much to eat or drink today . Just over 40 mins. Day off tomorrow, then with KCC for first time on Sunday. Hust hoping weather will be a bit cooler
Looks like my neck of the woods. (Stonebench to the Pilot Inn?). Might bump into each other some time out in the lanes. If we do, say hello .... I'll be the huge bloke.

beardy01

This mornings training ride was characterised by rain with extra thunder & lightning! Fun that was... as the local wildlife decided its escape route from this aural onslaught was the across the road right in front of me. No road sense I tell ya! We need to ban all furies from using the roads :laugh:.

beardy01

This mornings training ride was characterised by rain with extra thunder & lightning! Fun that was... as the local wildlife decided its escape route from this aural onslaught was the across the road right in front of me. No road sense I tell ya! We need to ban all furies from using the roads :laugh:.
there getting bloody everywhere,thought the furrys were just targeting me!!!! glad i am not alone!!!!!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I went off for a ride earlier. In between work, shopping and then guitar lesson. I left all the shopping for hubster to put away and went out off on my bike. I only popped around the Wreningham/Hethel cyclepath route. 10.9 miles in 42 mins. I wasn't hurrying, too bloody hot to hurry today. I did have the benefit of a nice breeze on the way out, which is the first time ever that I've liked cycling into the wind.
That BB click is driving me to distraction. It's well on and I can't get it undone, neither can hubster. I'll pop to the LBS tomorrow morning and ask if they can locate the click.

gavgav

Guru

Happy Birthday!! :thumbsup: to the Joe Blow. I had one for my birthday and it is fab!

Dark46

Veteran
Looks like my neck of the woods. (Stonebench to the Pilot Inn?). Might bump into each other some time out in the lanes. If we do, say hello .... I'll be the huge bloke.

I might be small in height but not in width ! LOL
In the week I will have a blue polo and black trousers and army rucksack, as I take that as my commute in the way home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom