Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sunday continued...

Going through Cheswardine, we came across a milestone with various distances on it including John O’Groats (454 miles) and Land’s End (317 miles). I’m guessing these are as the crow flies otherwise LeJOG/JOGLE would be much easier!

IMG_1069.JPG

Lunch was taken in Market Drayton – a Morrison’s had a café and that meant coffee with our sarnies and from there it was time to play tag with the Shropshire Union Canal yet again. Along this section the hedges were dripping with fruit in the form of some of the biggest and juiciest of blackberries I have seen but I wasn’t allowed to pick any because that would have meant stopping (again… guess that is the problem of cycling with someone!) Damson’s, apples, pears, sloes, and raspberries were also in abundance in these hedgerows as well.

Closer to home and we realised that we were only going to be shy of a metric century by 9km, so started the plotting and scheming of “what if we go this way” to see if we would extend the ride by 9km to make it a +100km ride. In the end we decided not to extend it right up until the last minute because if the winds got too much worse, it was going to be seriously difficult getting home.

IMG_1071.JPG

Some more nice light...

IMG_1073.JPG

Somewhere around Audlem, a sudden squall arrived and we took refuge like the wimps we are sensibly sheltered under a tree (or more accurately the dry patch of tarmac prior to the tree) until it had passed. I did comment that the one advantage of the high winds was that the rain did not stay around for long. Stuart’s reply was “The 888”. I retorted with “you had to bring that one up didn’t you?” but in fairness he had a point. For those not knowing/remembering, follow this link and read 2 days

IMG_1077.JPG

A quick stop at the ‘south’ Nantwich marina (coffee & a chip butty) soon had us back on the road, though at times the wind had other ideas because on one occasion, thankfully when the road was empty of all but 2 mad cyclists, I suddenly found myself cycling up the other side of it when a sudden gust pushed me across the road which was 2 lanes wide at this point!

Somewhere around Oulton Park, the another squall arrived, and left before we found shelter and also around there we found ourselves unable to hold 6mph downhill because of the severity of the headwind! We were beginning to wonder if we would make it home at this point. Another rest was needed.

IMG_1081.JPG

The wash and blow dry cycle has just been on again...

IMG_1083.JPG

The wash and blow dry cycle has just been on again...

From here, it became clear that the gales were starting to damage the trees with larger branches now in the roads, but ironically the sun was getting warmer and the clouds now clearing! At the Whitegate Way we worked out that we needed just under 9km to complete our metric century for the month, so instead of heading off to the left, we turned and headed off to the right, away from home. Sanity is not something we are well known for…. A quick loop of the entire Whitegate Way would add the remaining distance we needed. And Stuart, true to form decided on another pit stop, 4.9km from home….

IMG_1085.JPG

I tried for an action photo, taking it whilst I was also cycling, but it hasn't really worked... needs more practice

Needless to say we are now really tired, but happy. The weather was much better than we could have hoped for given the severe weather warning, and the rain not bad enough to ever need waterproofs out. I just hope I sleep well tonight!

IMG_1089.JPG

Exhausted and the 2nd 100km of August done, only this time into a headwind/gale, on touring bikes and with some of it off road. :laugh:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
70 ish wet an dwindy miles around the Isle of Wight yesterday for me

http://summeronabianchi.blogspot.co.uk/

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Quick ride today. Just from home to the hospital and then back again. I got there quite quickly and came back very slowly as Hubster was having a bad day. I did take his laptop bag for him so riding was easier. I don't know what he keeps in that bag, laptop, headphones, couple of bricks and a lead ingot I reckon.
17.53 miles in 1:23 moving time. Shame really as I was having a good ride except for the stops and starts.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Two rides today. A long'un & a short'un.

Part 1
A mate and I planned an 09:15 meet at Puncture Corner, a place named for obvious reasons. We both txt each other at pretty much the same time, 08:45, can we make it 09:30. He had bike problems, and I had to jump start Mrs Pete's car as it had a flat battery as she rarely uses it.
I duly arrived at 09:30 and got a txt. Still sorting the bike out, so I rode to his house a few miles away. Luckily he was just test riding it and all seemed well so off we set. He wanted to get a reasonable distance under his belt as he's on the Gorilla Ride soon and needs the road miles.
I took him on a fairly lumpy route with not a lot of flat riding. Either up or down, plus a Northerly wind to content with, he was surprised, when he asked how far we'd ridden, that we were only on 25 miles..:blink:

old-lady-nose-hills.png

Still, he loves a challenge... :rolleyes:

We were near Brixworth when we were in need of some coffee, but decided to add an extra loupe via Cottesbrook and Spratton. I'd forgotten the ups and downs on tnis bit as I've not ridden these roads for quite a while. Crackin' hills though! The climb back into Brixworth is a bit of a tester (not like the hills 'oop north', but steep for this area!)
Once we reached Brixworth, again, coffee was definitely on the cards.

DSC_2913.jpg

Bucket size cup at Pitsford :thumbsup:

From here we had the option of retracing our route, Brixworth Bypass (not nice( or across the dam wall and a slow tootle round half a mile of the reservoir circuit. We opted for the latter and headed homewards. I had to be back by 15:00 latest as it was blood donoring day today and I had a 16:30 appointment.
My mate finished on a bit over 40 miles and was happy with the day and didn't swear at me too much about the hills, in fact he said he enjoyed them! :laugh:

old-lady-nose-art.png

This was the 52 mile route, that I reckon looks like an old lady with a big nose. (Just posted pic in Strava Art)

http://www.strava.com/activities/181910284

:smile:

Part 2
When I got home, I had a banana & brown sugar sandwich and a glass of lemon tea, showered and changed, swapped bikes from Road to SS Town & Tesco bike and headed off for my 44th blood donation. It's only a couple of miles away from home and fairly level ground, so no great worry about a pint less blood circulating around my system. And free drinks and biscuits as well :hungry:
While I was waiting, another mate text and phoned me wondering if we could get out on an off road ride tomorrow as he's just bought most of a new bike. 'What parts do you still need?' Asked I... 'Only the wheels and brakes' Said he! Well, he is from Brazil you know..:wacko:
We may or may not be out for a ride tomorrow!

Once blood was let, I used a different route home as I had to pop into the local shop for something to top up my fluid intake this evening :whistle:

5½ miles there and back

http://www.strava.com/activities/181972433

Last edited:

G3CWI

Veteran
Spin round the lanes last night with a friend. Took the new carbon machine for its second outing. Got it well and truly soaked and also muddy. I was intending to keep it for dry sunny days only. That didn't go well.

First "proper" clipless moment: fell when my unpredictable mate suddenly pulled off the road in front of me to let a car pass. I was so surprised that I forgot to unclip. Ouch.

Heavy rain at times. Stung on the ear by a wasp on the way home.
PB on one longer segment on the way home after we separated. Not bad in driving rain and failing light.

...but strangely we still had an enjoyable ride.

59km 24.1km/hr.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Spin round the lanes last night with a friend. Took the new carbon machine for its second outing. Got it well and truly soaked and also muddy. I was intending to keep it for dry sunny days only. That didn't go well.

First "proper" clipless moment: fell when my unpredictable mate suddenly pulled off the road in front of me to let a car pass. I was so surprised that I forgot to unclip. Ouch.

Heavy rain at times. Stung on the ear by a wasp on the way home.
PB on one longer segment on the way home after we separated. Not bad in driving rain and failing light.

...but strangely we still had an enjoyable ride.

59km 24.1km/hr.
The Macclesfield Massochist?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Today's target was 10 miles, nearly double that which I have managed since 'Episode 4'. Started out ok, and happy to amble along at 10 mph. My route gave options for extending or reducing the distance, and I'm afraid I shortened it. Really tired legs at the 7 mile point, so only managed 8.5 miles today. Nice to get out though, even if it was a struggle to get motivated.

D

Deleted member 23692

Today's ride was the usual post work circuit of just over 19 miles on the MTB (with slicks on). I'm still nursing a sprained ankle, so I'm trying to ride at reasonable pace.

I've been meaning to stop and take a photo of this at primary school in Dalston, but I've usually got my head down pedalling furiously as I pass the school....... but not tonight, cos I'm taking it easy!

WP_20140819_16_47_21_Pro_zpsc13f34e5.jpg

Here's a map, but you've seen one like it countless times before....

full.png

Garmin gen - 19.2 miles / 780ft ascent @ 14.3 mph.... which considering the ankle injury is within 0.2mph of the fastest time I've ever done this circuit.

So much for taking it easy :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom