Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Woke with a sore back but had to get out anyway. Decided to extend an earlier route and try some new areas. Thought I'd try the road from near Dollar to Saline and Oakley, what a roller coaster that turned out to be. Vicars Bridge climb is torture and it was made worse because as I was toiling up with a purple face someone came whizzing down with a cheery hello. Still Strava says 47.5 miles with 1013 ft elevation and a ridiculous max speed of 44.5 mph (must be wrong).

http://www.strava.com/activities/182433880
route today.jpg

Ten miler on the mtb today with this being the nightshift week. Up and out by way of the golf course and a back track towards Edzell before turning for home. Quite windy and a lot cooler today

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A mate txt me this morning wondering if I could get out for a ride this afternoon. I'd kind of decided to take it easy after several days riding with a fair few miles, but, hey.... why not! :smile:

We only had couple of hours to ride as his car was booked jn for its MOT at 16:00 so we decided on a quick loupe around Denton and Salcey.

IMG_20140819_190152.jpg

On the way to Denton from Whiston Hill we crossed one of my favourite off road bridleways.... Looking up the hill.

IMG_20140819_185807.jpg

and the track down to the ford..
Nice to see it rideable as a couple of times I've been down it it's been serious mud! Wrong bike today though....

We split up at about 15:00 so he could get home in time. I rode home on the quite bumpy cycle path between the A45 and The Washlands. Not nice on a road bike, but better than my other road home.

Another 26 miles under my belt.
Tomorrow is a day of rest. Apart from taking my granddaughter out and about for a restful 6 hours :laugh:

http://app.strava.com/activities/182396297

:smile:

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Today I had a clinic appointment. Every year I have my MOT as I am a living kidney donor so the NHS keep a close eye on the remaining kidney. Quite right too. I thought that I'd been forgotten about but I got my test last year and this year but I had a 2 year gap before getting back to Norwich where the N&N were mortified that the appointments had lapsed and got me in with their renal consultant ASAP.

The ride down was nice. Bloody cold but nice. My hands were cold and I really wished that I had my Planet X zippy top on rather than my long sleeve jersey and a tee shirt. We took 34 minutes to do the 8.27 miles down to the hospital. We chatted as we went and generally had a nice ride. Once there we locked the bikes and I had 45 minutes being pricked with needles for a blood test and having my blood pressure taken. Nice and low, just how we like it. Everything is hunky dory as far as they can tell so it was a case of having a nice natter about life in general and a 'see you next year'.

The ride home was harder work. Still cold and I didn't warm up all the way home. Which was 9.13 miles as we came a slightly different way. I was shivering like a (fat) whippet when I got in. PX top straight on and a nice cup of tea. The ride home took a whopping 48 minutes :ohmy:

Still not quite feeling the love of riding but I'm sure that it will come back again. Proper work again tomorrow. Thursday and Friday too. Gloom. My wrist is killing me. I have to stop grooming before I can't play guitar any more. Guitar playing being a lot more important than working IMO. I have priorities.

Miles this year: 1169.20 mi at 13.76 mi/h average

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Today's ride was the usual post work circuit of just over 19 miles on the MTB (with slicks on). I'm still nursing a sprained ankle, so I'm trying to ride at reasonable pace.

I've been meaning to stop and take a photo of this at primary school in Dalston, but I've usually got my head down pedalling furiously as I pass the school....... but not tonight, cos I'm taking it easy!

WP_20140819_16_47_21_Pro_zpsc13f34e5.jpg
I think people who insist on putting a gazillion PSI in their tyres should think about the 1865 and 1887 entries on that history!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My usual 20 mile ride to Frampton and back tonight. Didn't take my camera today, so of course I saw a fox, a hare, a group of quail in the middle of the road, an owl flying along level with me and a troop of morris dancers performing outside the Three Horseshoes. Not to mention a fantastic sunset over the Severn. Oh, and a kestrel......... I'll take my camera next time.

Little 26 km commute in to Cambridge from Waterbeach via cycle paths and a detour to Waitrose,plenty of Swans on the river and a few dogs on the paths but it's nice to ride with no traffic;

http://www.strava.com/activities/182760181

Getting used to the Planet X now and riding on looser surfaces(Vittoria Randonneur pros seem nice and sure-footed);bit chilly to start along the Cam but warmed up by the time I got to Waitrose for provisions.Need to get some cash together to get the better wheelset made up now.

My usual 20 mile ride to Frampton and back tonight. Didn't take my camera today, so of course I saw a fox, a hare, a group of quail in the middle of the road, an owl flying along level with me and a troop of morris dancers performing outside the Three Horseshoes. Not to mention a fantastic sunset over the Severn. Oh, and a kestrel......... I'll take my camera next time.

Which means you'll probably see nothing when you have the camera if you have the same luck as me:rolleyes::laugh:

Yesterday's ride from Harwich to Cambridge was the last one of our tour of the Netherlands, through some of Belgium and Germany, 85.82 miles into a strong headwind. In fact the last 360 miles have been into a headwind with rain for good measure. Will write up a travelogue over the next week. Now off to the supermarket and I'll bet I am the only one on a bike. Back to car-centric UK, wonderful [this may contain a touch of sarcasm].

Alex H

Legendary Member
Far too much to do this week, so only a short ride this morning. It was 12°C in the barn at 09:00 :eek:, so I wimped out with a long sleeve jersey :whistle:

First stop was Chabanais, where the main road is still dug up, the diversion still in place and the circus has come to town. ^_^

2008_4.JPG

I've never been to a circus, but they seem quite common here (usually French or Italian). From the look of them though, I'd say the 'big top' is more like 'medium top or 'small top'.

As I was now on the deserted main road that used to be chocca with lorries before the bypass, I made my way to Etagnac, where stands the Chateau of Rochebrune. It was closed, of course, so I peeked through the gates to take this photo.

2008_5.JPG

I didn't see the moat bridge when I was taking the photo, so was unaware it's totally surrounded by water :wacko:

(Chateau at French Wikipedia)

Made my way back via Saillat-sur-Vienne, avoiding the steep hills. Found this very alert guard dog looking after a house - "It's OK take what you like!"

2008_8.JPG

Next stop Rochechouart, where the church has a twisty spire

2008_9.JPG

Stopped by the Chateau for refreshment, before wending my way home.

2008_10.JPG

45km in 2:00:04hrs - av 21.62km/hr:smile:

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Went for another ride through Wiltshire to Avebury, I think this has the makings of a nice summer training route.
Saw another Marrow person on a different signpost (see earlier), still no explanation...
photo 3.JPG

Nice little climb, wind on my back, then the descent into Devizes and the lanes until home. During which I spent about three miles having this swoop over me at low altitude multiple times :eek:, took this pic after it had gone over a bit incase the pilot saw me and I got locked up as a spy.

Aviary Photo_130530334897717057.png

Reckon my ass looked so good in the lycra on their apache camera, that they couldn't stop coming back for another look :laugh:...

Either that or they were practicing strafing runs :eek::eek::eek:.

D

Deleted member 18052

Also posted here: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-newbie-progress.110413/post-3239605

14.2 miles for me today - http://www.strava.com/activities/183011066

14.2mi Distance
51:41 Moving Time
860ft Elevation (?)
54 Suffer Score

The segment "All about your bottle!!!" certainly is that! http://www.strava.com/activities/183011066/analysis/1958/2302

Had the hammer down coming off the tight left hander, just topping 40mph and a nice farmer with his trailer full of sheep decides to appear from round the corner, bloody yanked the brakes so hard its the quickest I ever had to stop! heheh

Daz :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom