Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
First chance to go exploring since moving to the south west a couple of weeks ago, and there was no doubt on where to go - Cheddar Gorge. Plotted out a route on the Garmin, trying out the turn directions on top of the breadcumbs. Worked mostly well, with only a couple of navigational mishaps that were swiftly corrected.

I picked up the tail end of a sportive going up the gorge, which provided lots of scalping opportunities. Not entirely fair, since they would have done a lot more miles than me before hitting the climb, but it made me feel good about the performance ^_^. That feeling was swiftly deflated upon return home, as I still find myself outside the top 1000 on Strava:sad: - There aren't many hills in Scotland that have 1000 attempts, and here I have 5000+ people to compete with! I did shoot straight to the top of the CC leaderboard, though, so that's nice:becool:

http://www.strava.com/activities/181394675

I've entered the Tasty Cheddar Audax in October so will look forward to climbing the Gorge & seeing how I fare on the CC leaderboard !

D

Deleted member 1258

60 miles the journey, Willoughby the destination, the original stop was going to be Sky Lark Farm Staverton, but I spent that much time exploring the lanes round Rugby, some I'd rode recently and some I hadn't rode for a long time, that by the time I got to Willoughby time was getting on and I'd rode 36 miles so decided to use the cafe there, a decision helped by my transmission noises coming back, it was the first ride after changing the Bottom Bracket and while the bike had been its normal stealth like self at the start of the ride the noise had come back, I'm hoping its just a crank working loose, if its something else I'm stumped, all the usual suspects check out. Head wind on the ride home made for slow hard progress, across Granborough fields, and up through the appropriately named village of Hill to Leamington hastings and past the cart planted with flowers,

20140817_121539.jpg
20140817_121604.jpg

very pretty, to Marton where we had visited the Bygones Museum last weekend, then up the Banbury Rd to Princethorpe and the right then left turn onto the Fosse Way and across the A45 to ride into Coventry through Wolston and past the speedway, a ride that didn't quite go to plan but was very enjoyable if hard work on the way back

Last edited by a moderator:

robjh

Legendary Member
I was leading a ride today from Cambridge out to the Cambridgeshire/Essex uplands to the south, and I'm sure we broke a few records. Five punctures, one split chain and two offs on wet corners - from the same rider - all in the space of 65 miles. Add to that a short heavy downpour that caught out all those who hadn't checked the weather forecast, a mis-identified shortcut (my fault) that took us onto a busy main road, and a café that had just shut when we got there, held up as we had been by all the other 'incidents'. Happily the café owner hastily reopened for us and offered a warm welcome to the 14 bedraggled cyclists who turned up at her door, so that was one good thing that happened on the ride. Oh and we had lost 3 people by then, who stopped at one puncture and said they'd catch us up but didn't.
I think everyone will look back and say they had a good time :wacko:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Out with the Kingsway Cycle Club again this morning, for what turned out to be a 31 miler for me. A couple of faster lads turned up this week, and our usual tight peloton was blown apart. Rather shame-faced to say I was usually the one left at the back - but then they are all smaller and younger than me. In my defence, I was nearly taken off the bike by an idiot in a Fiat at one roundabout, and got caught by two red traffic lights that all the others breezed through ahead of me.

Rode around the outskirts of Gloucester to Brockworth, where we.started a long drag up towards Cranham. I got to the top in last place, but feeling OK and keeping at about 7-8mph. Then we dipped down through Cranham to take on the hill known as "The Wall". @Dark46 and I were the 3rd and 4th to make it up to the top, only to find that nobody was following us. we waited ......and waited ....and waited some more, before doing the unthinkable and turning back to find the rest of the lads, probably then having to do The Wall all over again. This was a scary prospect, as I had only just been able to get up it once without stopping (which is what I count as "beating" a hill), and I had my doubts about doing it twice. I had been pulling wheelies at various points on the way up, which told me that in palces it was steeper than the "14%" advertised gradient. Perhaps that was the average? Was unable to talk on the way up, but saved enough breath for a chorus of "What's that coming over the hill, is it Donger?" and a bit of showboating as we crested the top.You will gather from this that i don't really act my age.

Turned out one of the lads had a puncture that just kept recurring, so he went through the group's entire supply of tubes and CO2 inflators before having to give up and leave us. So only four of us had done The Wall, which at least restored some bragging rights for me.The rest of us returned home via the lovely village of Painswick, where, guess what? - there was another big long, humbling, drag of a hill, on which I again came last. Then down into the Severn Vale via Upton St Leonards, and a scarily fast descent. A couple of the lads hit hair-raising speeds exceeding 50mph on the descent, and @Dark46 hit 49mph - only to find in the next mile that all four bolts on his handlebars had worked their way loose! :eek:Good job it didn't happen on the hill. Personally, I hit a PB of 37.5mph, and that will do me nicely thank you. My fingers were white by the bottom. Puffed and panted my way back to Kingsway, before the inevitable "Strava Sprint" finish in the estate (and I don't even have Strava). A good workout today:training:, even if i was a bit off the pace. Mental note: Must try harder. (Which could be straight from one of my old school reports).

Cheers, Donger.:hello:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I've entered the Tasty Cheddar Audax in October so will look forward to climbing the Gorge & seeing how I fare on the CC leaderboard !

Nice one - something to look forward to. It's a fun climb with the steep switchbacks at the bottom followed by increasingly easier gradients as you get towards the top.

Dark46

Veteran
My ride turned out to be 30.2 miles, I will not go into to much detail as @Donger has discribed the ride perfectly . But I do have a couple of pics to post.
I was rather glad that I didn't notice my loose handlebars going down the hill as I couldn't see as my eyes had decided to water ! Plus when I got home and linked to Strava found out that at one stage was doing 49.9 mph! LOL

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 35

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Yesterday's ride.
On Saturday morning at 7.20am I rode with my brother Keith from my mothers house in Ellesmere Port over to my brother Pete's house in Neston. His son in law Mark was riding with us, as was his BiL Ray, and Andy, a more distant relative....
image.jpg

We set out just gone 8am, the weather cool. We rolled past Ness Gardens and dropped down to the marshes and headed for Wales. Left, right, left through an industrial estate, through Connahs Quay and on to Northop (where I met Mrs Dave in 1989....)
We took a narrow road up to Rhosessmor, with our first stiff little hill around 20%. This wasn't East Anglia!

From Rhosessmor we rolled down hill until we ended up at Loggerheads. A steady chug up hill brought us to the turn for Maeshafn. Somewhere along here we encountered a little beast of a hill, shale everywhere and greasy. The gradient was 20%ish again. Every time I needed to get out of the saddle my wheels spun..... There was much heavy breathing and expletives!
We had a brief stop at Llanarmon yn ial whilst Mark put his chain back on his bike. Nobody complained about a rest!

image.jpg

Next we wended our way through lovely countryside to Llandegla, then pulled ourselves up on to the moorland where we stopped at the Ponderosa to refuel...
image.jpg

We then dropped down behind the Ponderosa using the old Horseshoe Pass. There were people cycling up.... Jeez it was steep. Our rims were fairly warm by the time we turned left for Worlds End.
I was feeling a bit crap due to stopping but there were a few stern small hills to warm me up again.
We reached the ford at the bottom of the climb and dismounted to wade through the inch deep water and treacherous stones.
I was told that this was going to be the worst part of the day...... Just up hill and around the bend I'd see the climb proper!
I did, and it was hard. My legs were complaining by the cattle grid, and my asthma may have returned momentarily as I was sounding like Darth Vader! Anyway, we all made it, here's Pete coming to the top...
image.jpg

We then cycled across beautiful heather moorland, but in places the road was more like powder! We had a fast descent into Minera.
We flew past the back of Wrexham and returned to England. We had an appointment at the Cheshire Ice cream farm...
image.jpg

Ice cream was taken....

image.jpg

Then we headed for home, joined by Jennie and Helen.
This last section of the ride was into a head wind which was a pain at times.

This is one of those days that will live long in the memory for so many reasons.

103.19 miles
13.57 average speed
2,348M of climbing.

Wonderful!

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Today's ride....
My legs were fine after yesterday's fun, but when my under carriage touched the saddle first of all I did wince!!
So it was Mrs Dave, Keith, his wife Joyce and myself (both ladies on new bikes)
We had an easy 20 miles round the lanes of the Wirral, windy and wet, but good all the same

image.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
No great distance away, but I had a purpose in mind. The two Lancasters were supposed to be flying at Sywell Airshow today and I had the chance to get to see them!

The tickets were sold out quite a while ago so I reckoned the best way to see the aeroplanes was by cycling there. Luckily, some of my favourite local bridleways are past the end of the runway so I hoped to get a great view nevertheless!

sywell2014.png

Good vantage point! :thumbsup:

DSC_2871.jpg

DSC_2883.jpg

View attachment 53586

DSC_2909.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

DSC_2900.jpg

Sadly, due to the strong winds today, the Lancasters couldn't fly, Not even with Hi Viz Jackets and safety boots :cry:

A great 11 miles anyway

http://www.strava.com/activities/181549225
:smile:

Last edited:

BigAl68

Über Member
This morning it felt more like autumn than summer :sad:.

I managed to dig out my proper lights over the weekend, find the mounting brackets and locate a new O ring as its pitch black at 5am now and last weeks riding with a tiny LED thing I found in my tool box wasn't really cutting it. The weather was chilly so arm and knee warmers were needed and there was a chill in the wind. On the plus side it was dry and the wildlife was out in full force (foxes, rabbits and a deer). Anyway I better get off here and get some work done.

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
We are going away on tour in a couple of weeks time, so I wanted to get my OH out on his touring bike and make sure that everything was OK and that the kit list was adequate, so I planned a 'mini tour' for last weekend which got postponed to this weekend. The plan was to cycle to Ebury Hill again (around Shrewsbury) and home again the next day.

Saturday's Ride. 81.7km Ebury Hill (Shrewsbury) http://www.strava.com/activities/181528295

My OH's version “we arrived at campsite”! Yep I suppose that is an accurate and true statement of what happened, but it does not make for a very interesting read and certainly does not cover what happened…

The only problem is that not a lot really happened today! I didn’t sleep well last night, so when the 6:30am alarm went off this morning, it was a bit of a struggle to get up and get out. We did finally make it out for around 8:30am, however. But having been to our destination once before (by myself) I knew that we didn’t need to rush to get out and would easily make it there with plenty of time to spare. It was also a surprisingly chilly start to the day and we both commented on the fact that we would have been warmer in our autumn/winter longs which neither of us had packed!

IMG_1004.JPG

My OH's attempts to strangle me are caught on camera!

My OH, true to form, decided on a toilet stop at Whitegate Station. A stagger 4.9km into our journey! Come on, we have barely even got going and he is wanting to stop already. Then it was a case of ‘not much happened’.

IMG_1006.JPG

Looking threatening - but there is a touch of blue sky!

Down the converted railway, along quiet country lanes and the first stop of the day at the ‘north’ Nantwich marina for a coffee and toast. Then onwards, and southwards and onto new roads for my OH. The clouds have looked threatening all day, but the rain has held off. The wind was from a more southerly direction than originally forecast so it was more of a headwind than it should have been. Lunch was in a sheltered bus stop, which kept us warm enough not to need coats! And then well, it was more quiet lanes, and more headwind and cloud and little to look at until we got to the campsite. With the forecast and the high winds taken into account, a suitable pitch was located (not under any trees!) and we were at the campsite for 3ish…

IMG_1012.JPG

The view from the tent and the brightest it has been all day!

IMG_1021.JPG

A touch of light... but not too much.

IMG_1022.JPG

Our pitch, and the larger of our 2 tents.

We went for a walk later on in the evening, down the Shropshire Way, which means we have an alternative way off the campsite tomorrow. And whilst walking down the route, we came across 7 teddy bears in various oak trees along the route (no idea as to why…) but we also picked some blackberries to add to breakfast tomorrow morning and have added a few items to the list that we need to pack for our 2 week tour coming up. That was the whole purpose of this weekend… So I guess my OH's version was probably quite accurate. Not much did happen really!

IMG_1027.JPG

There is light!

IMG_1032.JPG

It is beginning to look brighter, but not by much

IMG_1035.JPG

I like the looks of this for our way off the campsite tomorrow - my OH is not that keen yet...

IMG_1036.JPG

For some reason there were at least 7 teddy bears in various oak trees but this was the only one I could really photo - it was starting to get too dark...

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Sunday's ride, 100.66km http://www.strava.com/activities/181528342

The wind picked up again during the night, but it meant we had a decent draft through the tent overnight and that meant no condensation. The alarm did the usual trick, and was duly silenced at 6am. A quick check on the rain radar showed what we were expecting – rain was due in the next few minutes, and another ½ hour in bed was called for. (A thin, horizontal and intense band of rain was working its way down the country very quickly – inside 30 minutes it had been and gone.) The rain did the job of washing the tent and the world clean for the morning. It left us with a very wet tent, on the outside only, but after wiping the tent down with the tent towel and with the assistance of the sunshine and wind, it was not long before we were able to take down a totally dry tent!

I did have one scare this morning though. In the high winds, I felt something land on my head whilst I was taking down the tent. Putting my hand to my hair and assuming it was a leaf, I pulled it out and examined it. I was a touch surprised to find I was holding a very puzzled wasp upright by its legs! Needless to say I let go of it rather quickly…

IMG_1037.JPG

The view from the tent this morning was much better after the wash and blow cycle. :laugh:

IMG_1038.JPG

It's still too early for much life on the campsite...

IMG_1041.JPG

Some patches of nice light.

IMG_1042.JPG

Some patches of nice light...

I managed to wrangle leaving the campsite via the Shropshire Way, Stuart wasn’t that keen on it, but seemed to enjoy it eventually! We had a couple of attempts at getting some photos of us riding side by side. One worked, one didn’t…

IMG_1050.JPG

Fence posts work....

IMG_1056.JPG

Think this may need more practice :laugh:

Then it was a case of downhill and a tailwind and making the most of it whilst we had it because for the rest of the day it was going to be a bad headwind once we turned north wards and it was to make cycling today harder than we had hoped for! But once we got onto the single track roads that I love and Stuart ‘puts up with, but is coming around to’ the high hedgerows sheltered us from the worst of the headwind and storms for most of the day (gates being the exception – great view on the world, but also leaving you on the wrong side of the road after a nasty gust of wind has once again tried to push you off your bike…)

IMG_1058.JPG

somewhere.... blue skies, and plenty of wind...

IMG_1061.JPG

Empty lanes and high hedges - what more do you need in high winds?

IMG_1065.JPG

Someone has not quite got the into the right mood yet this morning...

We were to cross the Shropshire Union canal repeatedly today, and at one of the canal bridges, Stuart stopped. I guess the reason even before I had reached there. He had ‘found’ a photo for me… a fishing competition was in progress and as I was taking a couple of photos, a canal boat was making its way through the middle of it… needless to say the fishermen didn’t seem to be that happy because they all had the longest poles you possibly could have for a canal and were all fishing on the other side of the canal. This led to Stuart coming up with the caption for the photos “Why don’t you just sit on the other side?”

IMG_1068.JPG

Life being taken too seriously - or "why don't you sit on the other side of the canal?"

The 10 picture limit means this is in 2 parts....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom