Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaddyMcc

Über Member
It was great to see so much TDF decoration still up in North Yorkshire, including this individual effort!
image.jpg

Bryony

Veteran
I had a little ride out to the viking ship and back this morning on my new bike. The weather was lovely, nice and sunny with a little breeze to cool it down a bit.

This is the longest ride I've done since my back injury (7.5 miles) and my back felt good. The little bit if fitness I did have has vanished and I struggled up some of the hills but that'll soon improve ^_^

It was a pretty uneventful ride, and I enjoyed every minute of it!
image.jpg

Ramsgate Harbour.
image.jpg

Sea view
image.jpg

Bike shot!
image.jpg

image.jpg

The viking ship Hugin
image.jpg

image.jpg

Enjoying the view while eating my haribo minions!

Bit late with this but Satudays club ride was a bit hard work with the wind and had a struggle when in front for a period but after the stop with some espresso and banana cake consumed the ride home was much better,so much so that I added a few kms on at the end.
There was one major incident when a car decided to nearly take part of the group out and nearly a road worker when trying to squeeze through past a parked working tipper truck at some road works;Derek(the ride organiser) raced up ahead to give a piece of his mind as the car had stopped at the junction ahead.Car sped off then suddenly reversed back only to speed off again when we all arrived;think he thought twice about arguing with us and some road workers.

http://www.strava.com/activities/187349015

Today was just a little spin around Cambridge just like to ride around the city early in the morning sometimes and it's 13 more kms added to the Gran Giro total which is now over 600kms:bicycle:

http://www.strava.com/activities/188225234

postman

Legendary Member
Well i did go out after all.After i had phoned my mate,who said it was raining in Seacroft at 07-45,i checked three weather sites.and not one could guarantee a rain free time after 13-00.Well at the moment there is no way i could get to York area and back before 13-00.So after throwing in temper the patio door key at the fireplace wall.I stomped up to the bedroom to put away my cycling clothing.
Well while looking out of the window in the general direction of Adel and beyond,i thought sod it.I am going out even if i get soaking wet.So off i went into the wind.It was not brill but i went to Ilkley around 17 miles away,then back to Otley then home.34 miles,ridden in a sort of temper.I must stop this attitude,well i am free tomorrow,which is a nice surprise,so Boroughbridge here we come.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Today's plan was to get the September metric century in, or better still an imperial century. Unfortunately I woke to what I can only describe as a soft day :rain:, with a Lake District style heavy drizzle falling.

That took until after lunch to finally clear out of the way so I managed to get a ride in, just not the one I'd wanted. I grabbed the knockabout bike again and went for my Melverley route, riding it anti-clockwise this time to take advantage of the wind swinging round to the north.

Riding out against the wind wasn't too bad - it certainly didn't seem to be slowing me down. I had a completely unnecessary close pass going through Bicton but everyone else behaved pretty well. After Montford Bridge I was onto quieter lanes which are also fairly flat making for nice steady cruising and apart from the lumpy bit round Great Ness I was cruising at a nice comfortable 15mph or so.

At Crew Green the smooth recently resurfaced road made me aware of a problem. I've known for a while that the back tyre won't seat properly (no bulges or anything like that - just refuses to sit correctly in the rim) but now I can feel a small bump through the saddle on each rotation on a smooth surface. Since it also seems to be struggling to resist punctures now, I think I may need to replace it before it's worn down. (Edit: looking at what notes I've got, I reckon this tyre has done somewhere between 5300 and 5500 miles. I suppose it doesn't really owe me anything:bravo:).

The rest of the ride was fairly uneventful which was good and with the wind helping me along it was just nice to be out.

32.7 miles this time at 13.5 mph average. A bit of totting up shows that this ride takes me to 2721 miles for the year to date, passing my total for the whole of 2013.^_^

DSC0001478.jpg

One of my regular stops to look at the view. Near Nesscliffe looking towards the Brieddens

DSC0001480.jpg

Into the flat lands en route to Melverley.

DSC0001481.jpg

The Royal Hill. Still a few summer campers on their adjacent site.

DSC0001482.jpg

More camping at Crew Green - this site has teepees and a shepherds hut as well as the usual caravans and tents.

DSC0001483.jpg

After Westbury, rather than staying on the main road to Nox I went down the lanes. The view towards Pontesford Hill and the Stiperstones from Edge.

DSC0001484.jpg

The showery August means harvesting is still underway when it's dry enough.

Last edited:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
i am free tomorrow,which is a nice surprise,so Boroughbridge here we come.

You must call in at Greenwoods butchers in Horsefair. Their pork and pork and apple pies are excellent. Their black pudding is also top notch - the shrink wrapped stuff in rectangular blocks. Then there's their welsh dragon sausage not to mention their farmhouse sausage. The bacon's pretty good too.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
What a palava it was getting out this morning. I have a little yellow bag. It looks like an old fashioned gym bag, the type that we had at school in the 70s and I cannot find it. It cannot have gone far but it was not being found today. I needed it to pop a pair of trainers in so that I could do the home to hospital route and give a dog a quick walk en route. Plan B to the rescue. I decided that I’d put my MTB shoes on and change the PX pedals to SPDs.

Once I’d found spare pedals and a spanner, it quickly became apparent that my stupid wrist is not strong enough to undo my road pedals. Plan C was put in to action. I’ll take the Spesh but it’s got no pedals on it and my stupid wrist isn’t strong enough to do the pedals up tight. I’m getting bloody fed up with this wrist. Plan D was to take Kenn’s Giant Revel. Once I’d got the Spesh back out, and the lawnmower, and a couple of big plant pots, scared the mahoosive spider away and manhandled the Giant Revel out I discovered that it had a flat rear tyre but it was probably only because it’s not been used for a couple of months. It was then that Kenn said that the track pump was at our Mark’s place and I didn’t fancy using my very funky high pressure pump after a few pumps as it made my wrist hurt. Anyway, when I tried to move Kenn’s seat I couldn’t budge the QR lever as my wrist isn’t strong enough. You may be getting a theme here.

Plan E was required. I went back upstairs and up the ladder to the loft. I’m not fond of the loft as it’s dark and spidery up there. There was no sign of my day rucksack, only Kenn’s huge one which is no good. So I left the dark and spidery loft and had a really really good rootle under the bed. No spiders there. Hey presto, I managed to find my day rucksack under there – I was actually looking for a large musette sort of bag which I knew I had about somewhere but the rucksack would do.

Trainers in bag. I got my road shoes on and the Planet X out and I even got a leg thrown over the bike when it tipped it down with rain. Bike back propped in the hall while I dashed and grabbed the, now damp, washing off the line. Finally I got the door locked and managed to ride down the road.

Boy oh boy, was I pleased to finally hit the open road 50 minutes that little lot took. 50 whole, wasted minutes when I could have taken the pretty route. I got to my client’s house, changed into trainers, walked the dog, changed back into road shoes and was back on the bike. I made super time to the hospital and was 7 seconds slower than my PB but I’m not sure that it would have counted as I stopped in the middle. It was a great ride and I loved, adored even, every second of it. I would have been quite happy to ride back again but I had to put the bike in the car and go and walk another client’s dog and then get back for Sister in Law and her Hubs to visit.

8.21 in 30:42
It wasn't raining hard enough for my night vision waterproof. I was wetter on the inside than I was on the outside, which meant that I was shivering like a whippet by the time I got home after dog walking in a damp tee shirt. Wednesday I'll take a spare, dry, tee shirt in my rucksack.

Mike_P

Guru
One of those evenings, initially planned route quickly cancelled due to road work and then when falling light dictated lights switched on I found the battery had fallen out of the front light. Thankfully there was a way back home 90% on cycle tracks / non cycling restricted paths. Bit of a contrast to yesterday when I whizzed down the A1, or rather what once was the A1 and then a bit later encountered an interesting cycle path alongside the A59 between Knaresborough and Starbeck
IMAG0202.jpg IMAG0206.jpg

Nice ride in this morning and pretty uneventful apart from a car beeping his horn as he went past and me nearly pulling out in front of a Police car:rolleyes:;took a slightly different route than normal and rode in on part of the Cambridge busway but to be honest the ride fizzled out when I got to the city so rather than push on an round off the ride I just went in to work.
Was a bit misty early on but the sun started to push it's way out at the end.

http://www.strava.com/activities/188680835

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom