Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
22.97 Miles today on the road bike, first time out on that since the RIDE LONDON. Just a quick blast before work today, stopped off at the lovely community shop/cafe for a cuppa and cake in Hampstead Norrys https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hampstead-Norreys-Community-Shop/157054151020624. Lots of other cyclist there and loads out and about today, and everyone said hello @ianrauk. A nice ride out today.

Hampstead Norreys Loop1.png
Hampstead Norreys Loop2.png

davdandy

In preparation for our three peaks challenge I have just returned from my two peak ride.

My three peak challenge consists of climbing Parbold Hill,Beacon Fell and Sheephouse lane on Rivington.

I rode out to Billinge and onto the evil Parbold hill,from there I went to the next of the climbs,Ashurst Beacon,or Beacon fell as I have always called it.From there I rode through Standish then into Pie-land then back home.

A leg busting 48 miles but great preparation for the big one,hopefully,weather permitting next week.

http://app.strava.com/activities/187773629

D

Deleted member 23692

Seeing as I've been favouring the MTB of late, I thought I'd give the road bike a 'quick' trip out for a change, I headed out of town via my usual route but when I got to Durdar I decided to do something different and turned west headed towards Dalston and Great Orton and then skirting Wigton via LessonHall and Waverton.

Making it up as I went along I soon found myself in Aspatria, and so decided to head to Allonby (the sea side) for an icecream :smile:. After my rest stop I started to head back via Abbeytown, Kirkbride, Glasson and Burgh.

All that brought me to just shy of 65 miles - so that's another metric century, and I've discovered a few parts of the county I never new existed.

full.png

Had a puncture too. At around 37 miles and my first in.... erm.... longer than I care to remember. Easily fixed an back on my way again :smile:

Garmin gen - 64.8 miles / 2250 ft ascent @ 16.8mph

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Lovely day for a ride today. Bit windy, but sunny and a lot warmer than the last couple weeks. True to form I somehow managed to plot a circular route with what felt like 80% head-crosswinds. No biggie, though, the new bike seemed to slice through it just that bit better, and it was a joy to ride.

A picture from the seafront at Weston-super-Mare:
20140831_110842.jpg

http://www.strava.com/activities/187836176

Coast-to-Coast Scotland (3)

Torridon (27 August)
Another big day to rival the Fisherfield day.

screen-shot-2014-08-31-at-06-37-09.png

We ride out along the road to Loch Clair, and then go off-road along to Loch Coulin. We ride past Coulin and up to where the river junction is crossed by a bridge. Here, most of the party go up to Drochaid Coire Laire, which is a rather technical ascent, and followed by a technical descent to Achnashellach. Iain and I, however, take the Coulin Pass, which is much less technical, less steep, but still has amazing views back to the hills around Loch Maree.

d2-pano-5.jpg
On the Coulin pass

As we descend to Achnashellach Station, the views open up towards the West.

p1400474.jpg
View opening up down to Loch Carron in the far distance, and Loch Dughaill in the middle distance.

Heading west along the road, in a few short miles we reach Coulags, and head up the valley towards Coire Fionaraich. We refresh our water at the bridge, and spend a while at the Coulags bothy.

d2-pano-6.png

However, not knowing how far the rest of the group are behind us, we take the opportunity to push on in perfect weather and try to get the climb to Bealach na Lice out of the way before the others catch us. This was successful, and we had an hour to relax, refuel and chat to the odd passing walker and mountain biker.

wp_20140827_003.jpg
Bike parking at Bealach na Lice

d2-pano-7.jpg
The view at Bealach na Lice

When the rest of the group arrive, their morning has been much more challenging than ours, with the odd crash, and they’re suffering from not having the rest we’ve enjoyed. Time to regroup and everything is downhill from here!

We ride the singletrack around Loch an Eion, then onto the bedrock slabs by Lochan Domhain before finally committing to the descent to Annat. All of the riding on this descent is rewarded by a bold approach, remembering that “speed is your friend.” Many times on the descent I’m amazed at the work being done by the suspension: the right speed and body position just push the bike through choss, boulders and drop-offs, and while it isn’t a smooth ride, it’s a controlled ride.

p1400526.jpg
Part-way down the descent, Liathach in the background

wp_20140827_006.jpg
Iain enjoying his ride

wp_20140827_007.jpg
Much Torridonian sandstone bedrock to ride on

At the bottom of the descent after immense fun, we cycle the few hundred metres to The Torridon Inn, where we will be spending the next two nights.

Rest Day (28 August)
The rest day is spent resting: late breakfast, sorting out the bags, reading, and then in the evening an excellent meal in Torridon with one of the guides, Ross, jumping out of the meal periodically to go mackerel fishing.

windows-phone_20140828_010.jpg
Ross prefers fishing to eating

Applecross (29 August)
Final day :-(

screen-shot-2014-08-31-at-06-37-33.png

We ride out along the rough track along the shore to avoid the road, before being forced back onto the tarmac just before Sheildaig. Then there is a roller-coaster of a road ridearound to Kenmore with just a short stretch of downhill singletrack at A’Bhainlir.

wp_20140829_002.jpg
No more road riding, and the end is (almost) in sight

We climb to the plateau and enjoy the easy singletrack across the peninsula. There are amazing views back to the Torridon hills we’ve recently been riding amongst.

wp_20140829_003.jpg
Amazing scenery that we’ve ridden through the last few days

Before too long, we’re on the descent to Applecross and riding along the landrover track to the beach. Our crossing of Scotland is over, the weather has been amazing throughout, the company excellent, organization perfect, and now to round it off, we have lunch in The Applecross Inn before heading back to Inverness.

wp_20140829_005.jpg
Walker, Dan, Iain, Jens, Colin, Alex, Julia, Gareth, Khrysten and Craig on Applecross beach

A few words of thanks
The week was absolutely made by our guides: Alex, Tim and Ross. Besides guiding us on an amazing journey across a beautiful part of Scotland, their endless energy, humour, knowledge and bringing together a group of strangers into what rapidly became a group of old friends was truly inspirational. It was also great to have a mobile bike repair team, fishing tutor and photographic instruction along as bonus. Thanks to all three of you, and hope to see you soon.

Also to Euan and Cat. An amazing company, with all the organisation sorted down to the last detail. H&I Adventures have now twice delivered fantastic mountain biking holidays for me, taught me a lot about biking, and a fair bit about myself.

And finally, to the team I was riding with all week. You made the trip – what a bunch of chilled folk, of varying ability, all happy to muck-in, ride and chat together, laugh at the crashes, help out when needed, wade through the rivers, plod through the bogs and, most importantly, share the beer and post-ride banter in the pubs. I’m looking forward to riding with you all again soon. Slovenia…?

Post script
Besides the trip just being immense fun in my favourite part of the world, this also showed my training for the Ride Across Britain, now less than a week away, has paid off: back-to-back hard days, and still on the final day around Applecross I was able to power away on the hills as we rode around the peninsula. Alex, no mean athlete, said this trip was ideal training, especially with the recovery week before LEJOG begins. Soon I’ll be discovering what back-to-back hundred mile days feel like.

Great report and great photos Gareth. I used to up to that part of Scotland quite a bit when I was into hill walking and Munro bagging. Must be 10 years since I've been up that way.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was up at the crack of 6.15 this morning to take the lad in to work for 7, I also had a greenhouse to water at work so it killed two birds ( but not near the greenhouse, cos those that live in gla....... Whatever). It was still early o'clock when I got home, so I started gardening, emptying out the raised bed plants in preparation for my delivery of soil on Wednesday, as you can see, the soil has escaped!

image.jpg

After this I went and played badminton with my nephew. He is a good standard league player, and a lot younger than me. Well beaten but not disgraced!

Then it was ride time! Within the first mile I was thinking "hmmmm, maybe a bad decision..." But I carried on regardless. The weather was blustery, but the sun was out as I made my way over Barrington hill. At Wimpole Hall there was a fine herd of Irish Moiled cattle right at the fence and I was going to stop and take a picture but the wind was giving me a good battering at this point, and Old Wimpole hill was just around the corner. Up and along to the A1198.

Again the wind was beating me a bit so I decided to go from the hoods to the drops. My right hand went first. It was at this point that 2 cars were approaching. The one at the back overtook doing a fair old lick, she missed me by about 12"....... If only I could have a few minutes with that woman :ninja:. Bloody idiot.

I then cycled to Bourn. I've ridden down the hill many times, but not from the bottom of the village to the top. That little hill I freewheel down packs a fair old punch!
I was nearly home when I decided on a detour down through Caldecott and up to Kingston before coming home via Toft.

30 windy miles at an average of 17mph. Now it's time to go digging!:eek:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lots of other cyclist there and loads out and about today, and everyone said hello @ianrauk. A nice ride out today.
View attachment 54759 View attachment 54760

I guess you have no idea what my beef is so let me explain it to you so you understand. If other cyclists say hello then great. If they don't then I don't care. It doesn't matter. What I don't get is needy people whinging on a forum that a cyclist didn't say hello.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
A cycle club development 35 miler which turned into a 60 miler with plenty of hills including to and from home. I struggled on Le Pug with only a 12-26 on the back so either need to find a way to get a bigger cassette on or stop being tight and buy a new bike.

I am absolutely knackered and need my Sunday dinner. I was cramping badly at the end but I was never going to walk uphill into my village.

Strava linky: https://www.strava.com/activities/187852712

A couple of the group getting ready, please note ditchy had a few to many last night and didn't get up in time to sort a puncture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 45

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I guess you have no idea what my beef is so let me explain it to you so you understand. If other cyclists say hello then great. If they don't then I don't care. It doesn't matter. What I don't get is needy people whinging on a forum that a cyclist didn't say hello.

Oh I do get it, I feel the same, I was just having a wind up.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After not getting a ride in for a week and being thwarted by the weather yesterday (regular showers that were not at all enticing to go out in) I finally got a ride in this afternoon. I wanted to use the Raleigh but it's blocked in at the moment so the knockabout bike got its first outing for a couple of weeks.

Today's route was a variation that I haven't done for a while: Condover, Eaton Mascott, Cound, Harnage, Cound Moor, Acton Burnell, Longnor and back to Condover before heading home.

I had the wind behind me at the start which allowed me to scoot along quite nicely and despite taking it easy so as not to strain the Achilles tendon that was aching after my last ride I was setting quite a reasonable pace (for me). After a really autumnal feeling August it seems that summer is back again for the moment which had brought out a few other cyclists.:thumbsup:

Round Eaton Mascott the hedges have been trimmed so I was riding through cuttings. No attempt to clear them up and this is a very quiet lane (past Otis Ferry's place incidentally) so the traffic hasn't shifted it at all.:thumbsdown: I just had to hope the TourRides would do their job.

Cound and the steeper-than-it-looks drag up to Harnage produced the usual nice views (which I didn't stop to photograph).

Before reaching Acton Burnell something made me notice the back tyre felt different on one of the climbs. Stopping to check I found it wasn't anywhere near flat but definitely wasn't firm anymore.:dry: I topped it up (btw: a thankyou to the chap on the blue Ribble who stopped to check if I was okay :thumbsup:) and reckoned that if I could get as far as Longnor before topping it up again I'd make it home and could fix it there. Unfortunately this didn't work out - I got to Frodesley (less than 3 miles up the road) to find it softer than before so decided to do a roadside repair and get it out of the way.

Job done, it was a pleasant ride back despite turning into the wind at Longnor. The tendon is aching again but not badly so I'll have to be gentle for the next few rides.

23.1 miles today at 13.1 mph average despite not pressing on - not too bad on this bike.

DSC0001477.jpg

Roadside repair - no rush. Slightly frustrated though that this is the third in two months in this tyre.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom