Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
With a bit of late summer warmth in the air & just a slight south-easterly blowing I decided a trip to the coast was a good option today. The 35 mile round trip took me along the south east edge of the New Forest & down to the Solent but unfortunately it also inadvertently took me past a murder scene near Beaulieu where I was questioned by the police about my whereabouts on Tuesday afternoon! :eek:

003.JPG

A very calm Solent today with the Isle of Wight to the right.

006.JPG

Hopefully waiting for a table & not on the menu at Monty's restaurant in Beaulieu!

http://www.strava.com/activities/189752013

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Due to the weather forecast last weekend looking really good for this week I arranged on Monday morning to have today and tomorrow off work with the intention of knocking off the September imperial century. I also noticed at the weekend that those lovely people at Strava had come up with the Alpen-Traum challenge which was to ride 252km (about 156.5miles) in one single ride.

So I normally ride around 15-16mpha and my previous longest ride was 128 miles, so I worked on the basis of 14mph just in case I really struggled, which worked out at just over 11 hours of riding, give myself an hour or so for breaks, means it should be a 12 hour or so ride, yeah I can do that I thought.

So last night wrapped the bike locks around the saddle bag, grabbed the triangle frame bag from the commuter and for the first time I ditched the rucksack for a long ride.

Got up at 5am, and it was very misty. Had a big bowl of muesli and a big mug of tea and set off into the mist at 05:30, thinking the mist would soon burn off when the sun came up. Well it stayed misty for a good 30 odd miles before it started to go.

I stopped at 70 miles for about ten minutes to refill a bottle and grab a quick sandwich, an old boy came up to me and asked me where I was going, told him, he didn't believe that I had done 70 miles already - so showed him the GPS, he wished me good luck and I was on my way again.

At around 110 miles my feet started hurting, so five miles later found a bench and sat down and scoffed some of the Haribo I had with me and drank a can of coke I had carried in my back pocket since the 70 mile stop.

128 miles my final stop for more water and another can of coke - this one went straight down my neck. Lady in the shop said I was a bit out of breath and did I have far to go, she was gobsmacked when I told her how far I had done and how far I had left.

As I hit mile 140 I was flagging, I felt like I could keep on riding for a fair while yet, but also felt that if I stopped I wouldn't get going again, so told myself to mtfu and just get on with it.

Finished on 158.3miles and did it in 9 hours 41 minutes - 16.35mph - very pleased with that.

For those that know the area, I took the scenic route out of Leicester, (so by the time I had done 8 miles I was probably only a mile or so from home) and headed out to Saddington, looped back on myself into Kibworth and out to Fleckney and across to Billesdon, then through Kibworth and Fleckney again and up to Bruntingthorpe and through to Gilmorton, Then through Leicester on the Great Central Way and through Watermead Park, up to Rothley and then across to Polesworth which isn't to far from Tamworth. I then headed to Market Bosworth and then down to Lutterworth, from there it was pretty much straight home.

I don't think I will be riding tomorrow :whistle:

http://www.strava.com/activities/189746335
:bravo: Chapeau! I think we can allow you that rest tomorrow.;) :thumbsup:

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Short family ride this morning with Little Spartak no.1 ( 5 ) riding her bike, me pulling Little Spartak no. 2 ( 18 months ) in the trailer & the girls grandad.
We rode many of the cyclepaths thru Emersons Green before joining the Ring road path and heading along the Westerleigh Greenway, stopped halfway for some Frusli bars :smile:

View attachment 54225

We managed nearly 10 kms !!! http://www.strava.com/activities/184581785

Wow your 5 year old does amazing!! That is a fab distance.

Batgirl

In Disguise!
With a bit of late summer warmth in the air & just a slight south-easterly blowing I decided a trip to the coast was a good option today. The 35 mile round trip took me along the south east edge of the New Forest & down to the Solent but unfortunately it also inadvertently took me past a murder scene near Beaulieu where I was questioned by the police about my whereabouts on Tuesday afternoon! :eek:

View attachment 55173

View attachment 55174

Hopefully waiting for a table & not on the menu at Monty's restaurant in Beaulieu!

My pony is a New Forest and was sold at Beaulieu (8 years ago).. wonder if he checked out the pubs first..

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Ridinginnewtires4914_zps47064709.jpg

Family 'ride' 2 batgirls on scooters, 1 batgirl (teen) jogging and Mr Batgirl walking / carrying mini-batgirls scooter from time to time..

I think we covered 3 miles max but I got some great practice in on setting off - cycling next to someone jogging (a first) and even worked on turning a few circles - first for 22 years.

So, all in all a great ride. No one was hurt while partaking in the ride. ;)

I should point out also that hill behind us.. we walked up a similar one to get home! Yes I walked.. but hope one day to cycle it.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another ride out on the MTB today. It started off as a quick utility ride 10 miles or so to Goring to the solicitors, then set off back home, but after that instead of coming home I turned around had some lunch in a posh cafe in Goring, where I met four women out on their mountain bikes, they were a bit bling 'n all (the bikes not the women, I mean the women were ok .. never mind).

I then went over the Ridgway exploring, sort of, heading in the general direction of home, trying to find bridleways and permitted byways and just rode about. I don't know this area very well, so I get to small villages and hamlets and they have strange names like Hampstead Norreys, and Yattenden and I have no idea where I am most of the time.

Any way I tried to go down as many tracks as I could but still trying to head in the right direction homeward. I found a cake stop again that we found last week, so I had cake and tea, and headed off again, found some more tracks met a nice lady with some dogs who gave some directions and she set me off on a brilliant byway towards Tidmarsh, then across a bumpy field and eventually home.

When I got home the enemy telephoned to ask me to get some vedg for tonights meal, so i popped out and did another four miles.

I have had an excellent afternoon out, 30.16 miles today.

IMG_1315.JPG

Whitchurch Bridge rebuild nearly finished.

IMG_1316.JPG

View along the road.

IMG_1317.JPG

Part of Thames Path, the leaves are starting to change, alas.

IMG_1320.JPG

Loop the Loop, Split pea and ham, yummy in my tummy.

IMG_1321.JPG

Dueling banjo country.

IMG_1322.JPG

Cake!

IMG_1328.JPG

Nice track.

IMG_1325-001.JPG

Christmas Trees!

Compton loop1.png

Compton loop2.png

Last edited:

Bryony

Veteran
Did my first ever commute to work as an adult today (used to cycle to and from work as a teeneager). It was only just short of 5 miles to Broadstairs and back, but I bloody loved it!! I'm also chuffed to bits with getting up all the hills (except the High Street where I work, as its almost vertical and was chocca with traffic).

I took the scenic route along the Viking Coastal Trail so took in all the beautiful coastal views, I will definitely do this commute more often it certainly beats being stuck on a bus with stinky people!! I even had a nice safe place to put the bike.............. in the bank that I clean!

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Did my first ever commute to work as an adult today (used to cycle to and from work as a teeneager). It was only just short of 5 miles to Broadstairs and back, but I bloody loved it!! I'm also chuffed to bits with getting up all the hills (except the High Street where I work, as its almost vertical and was chocca with traffic).

I took the scenic route along the Viking Coastal Trail so took in all the beautiful coastal views, I will definitely do this commute more often it certainly beats being stuck on a bus with stinky people!! I even had a nice safe place to put the bike.............. in the bank that I clean!
Congrats! Sounds like heaven compared to the bus! haha at the safe place.. not much safer ;) if anyone comes knocking they're not going to be after your wheels!

Wishing I was close enough to commute fully but alas to the station will be my lot.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

View attachment 55173

View attachment 55174

I hate to bring this up, but there appear to be horses roaming around this town. Seems like a greater problem than squirrels or rabbits.

D

Deleted member 23692

An enforced commute home due to my car being kaput at the mo. It's not a bad route as it's mostly off traffic free, but it means using 3 public footpaths - 2 of which are in City Council ownership and they are adamant that they are not for cycles, even to the point of installing illegal barriers across them.

Even so I hope the car is fixed soon as commuting is definitely not for me.

full.png

Last edited by a moderator:

albion

Guru
Yesterday, with a full day I set off early E to W again heading along the off road C2C R7 to Consett over to Parkhead Station.
From there is was road again through Crawleyside Bank to Stanhope heading further west.
I'd hoped to loop off from Nenthead to Garrigal but not feeling fantastic I figured the 'want to do' climb from St Johns Chapel S to Langdon Beck was the easier of the two.

Once done I chose a flatter route back via Standrop, Bishop Aucland and Spennymoor.
94 miles in all and with that Harthope Head climb being a bit more than notable I did a search on it, posted here .
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/wh...l-youve-climbed-on-a-bike.133060/post-3263888

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
40 mins cycling 40 mins picking. 5 hours removing berries and releasing ladybirds, spiders and tiny green snails back into the wild, I had 6.5 kilos of berries.... I think. Never mind I will reweigh them when I take them out of the freezer!
elderberrycollection030914002_zpsa22e17c5.jpg
Nice haul!
:thumbsup:

BSRU

A Human Being
First proper ride on the Shand today, 32km with 310m of going up in just over an hour, well pleased^_^.
Two PB's on two cat 4 climbs and a PB on a short 1.1km slight drag, all ridden well below 100% effort^_^.
Maybe riding a bike 10kg lighter than my usual CX commuter bike helped a little:tongue:.

Now to find some cake;)

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The kids started back at school this week, always easy to tell as one of them invariably brings home a cold. Well this term it's my daughter, and being nice she shared it with Dad:thumbsdown:Nevermind, I figured a pedal would help, and with a warning from SWMBO not to overdo it I ambled off out, no idea of direction as my 25 mile plan was scuppered by the cold. Ended up doing a quick tour of Virginia Water, Lyne and Chertsey, haven't been out that way for a while so made a nice change. Knowing it was going to be short I put a bit of effort in and managed a 15mph average over the course of an hour or so and came home having done 16 miles. Only 1 idiot on a moped, pulled out in front of me, braked and pulled over again:rolleyes:
Strangely enough, no issues with sneezing etc whilst riding, yet as soon as I get home I've turned back into a sneezing snot monster, weird...On the plus side it may develop into 'man flu' at about 12:30 tomorrow, and I may have to put my feet up and watch the Italian F1 GP:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom