Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Singletrack_zps4550d050.jpg
I did some trails at Comlara Park, and got the old Trek 800 out to see how it handled the often friendly, sometimes tricky and surprising trails there. Very deep forest at times, and some neat, narrow trails like the Coharie that parallel coves and inlets of Evergreen Lake on narrow pathways and switchbacks. I only rode about 4 miles, but 4 miles of fun, difficulty, and challenge.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
A gentle Sunday morning poodle for me, the princely total of 7 miles before I decided that was enough. Really quite frustrating being tired after short rides, but better to do lots of little ones to recover.
Couple of big groups passed me in the opposite direction, heading from Chertsey towards Thorpe. Not often I see them, but then I generally avoid going out on Sunday mornings which may explain that:rolleyes:

brand

Been in Manchester for 3 horrible weeks getting my mother into residential home. Hard work visiting 10 or so homes at least twice. Specially when I am constantly getting on the wrong bus or getting of at the wrong stop.
Got home and festered for day. Saturday cycled into town to take a bike in for repair 8 miles there bus back at 1.30. Had a list which said mushy peas, gallon of paraffin and haircut. Chatted about bugger all to cycle mechanic..... No mushy peas, no paraffin but I do have a haircut.....and I don't like it! Had to wear a hat under my helmet as head was cold. 6 miles to pub so 20 miles all in. There was 15 or so musicians sitting in a circle playing diddle de music all night but in another part of the pub so you could take it or leave it. I took it for a bit then went back to the bar.
Someone in the village has con going with some alternative medicine. His present con is to do with a diet.
At the moment there are Chinese Japanese Koreans and Germans doing one of his diet "things". Great for the pub though, they do his diet then come round the pub for steaks and beer. Specially the Koreans they love there beer. Its rural pub so some people are suspicious of them, namely the dog owners there can be as many as 10 dogs in the bar. Honestly there eating steaks they will be full up!!

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Two rides for me today !

Firstly I was up early for a training ride up Tog Hill & then along the A420 passing Marshfield & Ford before turning off & passing thru Yatton Keynell, Upper Castle Combe, from here I was cycling into a headwind & the climb up to the A46 was tough going. Then dropped down to Chipping Sodbury & back home just as the rest of the family were arising !
Breakfast of porridge & fried eggs went down a treat

http://www.strava.com/activities/209018490

Second ride was with the family with our youngest daughter enjoying her first ride in the bike seat, whilst our 5 year old managed 5.5 miles

just a gentle pootle around the 'usual Sunday short route' this morning because my OH isn't feeling great but wanted to get out. can't believe how mild it is out there 17-19C for the ride. it didn't take long for the arms on my jersey to find their way into my rear pocket.

early on I put my head down along a strava segment just to see how I was feeling today (been off colour most of the week and now on double steroids as a result) and when I looked round at the end having called out that the road was clear to my OH, having gotten no reply I turned to see I had lost him completely... :blush:. Apparently he had been 'off in his own little world' and looked up to see I had dropped him and couldn't catch up... :wacko: otherwise it was a morning of random small groups of cyclists, not clubs - don't know where they were. Managed to get through the tail end of the local triathlon at Ardley Hall which we had forgotten about - the road had just re-opened but there were still loads of runners coming in - at least they had the wind as a tailwind even if we didn't. Did spot one man/husband/training partner who had completed the triathlon (medal around his neck) who had gone back looking for the woman/wife/training partner he runs with and was helping her in - she looked close to collapse tbh but was on the last mile by then.

so just the 45km this morning, mild but windy...though at some point I did manage 58.0kph (guess that was down Acton Bridge hill)...http://www.strava.com/activities/209140940

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Up and out early with the Kingsway CC again today. Nice to see a good turnout of 9 this morning (8 lads and 1 lass). We did a big loop around South to Frocester via Frampton to accommodate those who wanted a flattish ride, before splitting into 2 groups at Frocester. The flat ride group made their way directly to Sainsbury's at Dudbridge (Stroud), while the rest of us went up over Frocester Hill. This is my favourite training hill, as you get glorious views over the Severn Valley from the sweeping S bends on your way up. It seems to be a fairly steady 7-10% gradient all the way up, which is just over a mile of climbing. As usual, I made my way up in pretty ugly fashion, grinding my way up in the granny gear with steam rising from my head. Got up in one again, despite a vicious headwind in places adding another dimension to the climb, then enjoyed the tailwind all the way along the escarpment and the 2 mile descent into Dudbridge.

Everone with a bike seemed to be out today, perhaps sensing that this is the end of the good weather for the year. At Dudbridge, 2 of the Frocester Hill climbers went back with the Cinderella group (who all had to be back home by 12:00), and I made the rather foolhardy decision to go along with @gordyfinbar, and 2 others and take on another couple of beastly climbs. First came Bear Hill, up from the main Bath Road to the "Bear at Rodborough" on Rodborough Common. For the second time today I was hanging on grimly at the back, desperately keeping control of my breathing and counting my way up the hill. Just after a big S bend in a grassy cutting, I caught sight of the pub up above me and it gave me the lift I needed to get to the top in 1 go. 2 down, 1 to go.

Another great scenic descent from Rodborough Common back into Stroud followed, before we turned off the main road in Cainscross to head up the last beast of the day, Randwick Hill, which started at the 27.5 mile point of our ride. In places, this was the steepest of the 3 climbs, but fortunately it went up in manageable ramps, with just enough respite in between each climb to keep me from abandoning or putting a foot down. It felt like this climb went on for about 2 miles, but then the last climb of the day always seems the longest. All I know for sure is that, at one point about 3/4 of the way up it must have been over 20%, as my front wheel started to skip for a moment - always a tell-tale sign. The other 3 got a nice long rest at the top of Randwick Hill while I spluttered my way up in the far distance. Miracle of miracles! I actually made it, despite the wheels almost refusing to go round at the steepest part of the climb. I must have looked a bit of a state, but I'd made it up my third big climb of the day, and had beaten all of them. Not bad for a fat giant!

What is normally a lovely glide down Horsepools Hill from Edge to Brookthorpe was ruined a bit by a car hanging around right on my shoulder, and a horribly rough road surface in places, but anything that wasn't in the general direction of up was most welcome by this point. Big James hung back to see me home, and another epic ride came to an end at 37.3 miles. Glorious cycling country round here, and this was a nice way to finish the week.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Barby the destination, 57 miles the journey, slow and hard sums up the ride nicely, I got up this morning looked out the window at the trees being blown almost horizontal and nearly went back to bed, I'm glad I didn't, I've had a good morning on the bike, very Autumnal, lots of wet leaves and other debris about, I've used more back brake today than I have done for a long time, it didn't seem to bad at first, then I rode through Pailton turned right past the radio place and found myself pedaling into it , suddenly my speed was below 15mph, leaving the Cafe I rode up to the water tower and turned left to descend to the A45 and found myself flat out at 16-17mph on a 30mph descent, riding across Grandborough Field was interesting, speed down below 10mph in places and the side gusts were pushing the front of the bike across the road. The good news is my Verenti is back in stealth mode, I've had lots of problems getting the left crank to stay tight, last week I brought an eighteen inch long torque wrench packing mega Newton Meters, ten minutes work last night and the bike was quieter than a church mouse today.

20141019_094430.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

simo105

Very interesting ride today! So I got up this determined to do a ride over 40 miles! Head out as normal all going well then, I hit a steep climb from Hednesford to brocton. Snap wtf? Saddle comes loose oh dear. Pull over to get multi tool, not packed it. I thought what do I do. Managed to get temporary fix but didnt last long and ended up riding about 30miles wobblying around on the saddle. Was nice to see so many cyclist about, evans go ride it was on so I must of passed there route. Heres my ride
http://www.strava.com/activities/209087083
moral of the story. Pack a multi tool numpty!

Very interesting ride today! So I got up this determined to do a ride over 40 miles! Head out as normal all going well then, I hit a steep climb from Hednesford to brocton. Snap wtf? Saddle comes loose oh dear. Pull over to get multi tool, not packed it. I thought what do I do. Managed to get temporary fix but didnt last long and ended up riding about 30miles wobblying around on the saddle. Was nice to see so many cyclist about, evans go ride it was on so I must of passed there route. Heres my ride
http://www.strava.com/activities/209087083
moral of the story. Pack a multi tool numpty!
could also be don't be afraid to ask any of those other cyclists if they happen to have one...

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Apologies for my melancholy mood....

The first post in this entire thread described my first ride following the death of my brother. Now, 5 years on, I rode in similar circumstances following the death of our dad.
Id been writing his eulogy today and unexpectedly used his nature to drive me on while riding up a local hill, against the heavy wind on the wrong gear. I was all set to dismount...but dad wasnt a quitter, and while my legs were aching...I decided I wasnt going to quit either, so on I struggled, finding the right tempo and just kept going.
Topped the hill (its not so big, just one of the biggest around here)..and rather than build speed quickly and swoop down the other side, I found myself freewheeling slowly, let the downhill come when it does, just enjoy the sight, the wind in my face, whistling through the gear cables...my senses seem heightened, just absorb every sight, every moment.

1 hour on a hybrid, pretty mundane, yet very meaningful in a strange way.

Spartak