Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sgl5gjr

Not really a ride...well not on the bike anyway..... a ride in the Campervan to get a Road bike for the teen for Christmas..... Now.... I was going for the Triban 500E from Decathlon...but when I got there I found a new...right size Triban 5 in white.... with Sora groupset.... for £299.99 ..... Much better spec than the 500E and the Triban 3 (which they didn't have in the teen's size ...
They did a pre sale service/check....and I'll be back for the 3 month service.... Usual Decathlon sales & customer service....

windy on the way out - headwind as always, nothing much happened... coming home I made the mistake of looking at the rain radar before leaving - it helped me with the difficult decision: waterproofs or not was my choice until I looked at the radar... then it was no choice: I was going to be cycling into torrential rain and I did! I walked in like a drowned rat... a rather wet 69km...
http://www.strava.com/activities/207674834

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Had an attack of twitchy legs on my day off, this afternoon. Know the feeling? You sit there on your sofa with your legs twitching like you're out on your bike working the pedals. It's like an itch that won't go away, and you just have to scratch it. Just had to ride out today.

Looked a bit gloomy out of the window, but I just thought "Sod it!" and went for it anyway. Half a mile down the already muddy and wet lanes towards Frampton it started drizzling. A mile further down the road and it was proper rain. By Frampton it was pouring. But I had my waterproofs on (all except for my overshoes, which I was to regret) and kept reasonably dry ... or would have, had the driver of a silver Audi not gone out of his way to drench me by swerving to drive through a puddle, sending up a sheet of muddy water in my direction. I had the last laugh, though, as I knew he was heading straight into a traffic jam in Framilode caused by a delivery of bricks blocking the narrow road. I had been able to squeeze past the front of the lorry which was poking out of someone's drive, and could feel the resentment from the drivers of all the cars I passed. By the time I had ridden the 3 more miles to Frampton and 3 more back again, the lorry was only just moving away, and the Audiw**ker was only just getting started again after a long hold-up. I, on the other hand, had a brick lorry to tailgate at about 18mph for the next mile or so around the lanes, with oncoming traffic all getting out of our way. Sweet! I've never believed in karma, but maybe ... just maybe.... Wet shoes apart, I quite enjoyed it, despite the rain today.

That was my 75th ride of the year, and the 20 miles got me past the 1,800 mile mark. Must make the most of any dry weather we get from here on in, if I'm going to hit my 2,000 mile target for the year without getting trenchfoot.

Last edited:

simo105

First time doing a write up of my ride so go easy! Got home a little early and thought id take my boardman hybrid out down the canal and do a couple of circuits! Kitted up in my waterproofs I set off. Left just as the kids was coming out of school and once on the main road nearly had a collision with a young lad who was to concerned about managing to get a greeny (spit) on a school bus the other side to the road as me, just walked straight out on me. Lucky I wasnt a car could of been nasty. After a little polite advise to the lad I carried on with my journey. Then the monsoon hit and ended up doing the rest of my ride 2/3 of it in the rain. But I pushed through it and fully enjoyed my ride. Also when the rain comes the dog walkers dissappear meaning free reigns of paths!
http://www.strava.com/activities/207673962

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
On yesterdays ride, I called in to see a friend, Bob, who has recently had a bad health scare and an op to hopefully cure the problem. He's on the mend now and is bored out of his skull being stuck in a lot of the time. He's one of our regular bunch of riders and is normally as fit as a butchers dog! However, he is just starting to do a few miles to keep his fitness up.
I asked if he was OK for a gentle(ish) 20 miles today and he was really up for it! Unbeknownst to him, I contacted several other folk to meet at his at 10:30 this morning to surprise him (and drink his tea and clear him out of choccy digestives!)
I rode the 6 miles to his, then once we got going, we dropped onto the Brampton Valley Way, an old disused railway line converted to a cycle/recreational path.

DSC_0015.jpg

There's plenty of old railway stuff to keep the enthusiasts busy at Chapel Brampton station! After 5 or 6 miles, we got back onto tarmac and up the hill into Brixworth village, where I stopped to text another mate who wasn't able to ride with us but could meet up at our planned coffee stop for a while.

DSC_0017.jpg

My half pint bucket of coffee, served with love :laugh: plus a couple of bowls of Wedges, yet to be served, at Pitsford Café. We stopped there chatting, and added a visit to the bike shop, for best part of an hour I reckon, before heading homewards. Three of us rode across the dam wall and Pitsford village towards Moulton, then down Spectalce Lane and through the ford, then Bob and Garry went their way and I went mine. Bob was well chuffed that we'd dragged him out for the day.

DSC_0021.jpg

Garry, for reasons only known to him, used his winter road bike (?) Not the best plan for the route we rode, but he got away with it...

I was back home on 30 miles, beating the rain by about half an hour which quite pleased me as I was in shorts and T shirt.

http://www.strava.com/activities/207602351

:smile:

Last edited:

sgl5gjr

Today's ride was a mix of pleasure and collecting a prescription from the pharmacy for my elderly mother...... I had mad good progress warmed up the old legs and all was well, so after 12 miles I headed off to the pharmacy then to mums....after then I decided to take the long way home and that's when disaster almost happened...the dreaded near miss....... I was on a straight section of road, I had really go a pace going after I'd had to stop at a Stop junction to give way for traffic(as you do).... I got to around 25 mph and a Corsa pulled out from behind me and then swung right across in front of me and shot straight into his drive...... I did manage to stop before impact would have happened and a few choice words were shouted..... I then decided to cut the long ride home to a shorter version.....
Now I wouldn't have minded if I wasn't visible....I was wearing Hi Viz jacket and had rear light set on flashing..... I know I was visible as a Traffic Police car had already given me the thumbs up as they passed me....... Take Care Out There

gavgav

Legendary Member
I had a morning booked off work today, originally to queue for my tickets to Shrewsbury Town v Chelsea, but after the club changed the date of ticket sales to last Monday, I had a spare morning to go cycling :thumbsup:

I headed out with @Rickshaw Phil 's brother Doug, which we think is only the second time that we have ridden together without Phil! The rain had gone through by 08:30, but the air was still quite cool and damp, so I opted for my baselayer and Windproof Jacket and it was just the right amount of layering for the majority of the ride, but too much for the steep climb up The Wrekin!

We set off through the estate and along the old canal path, taking care on the wet layer of leaves, before joining the road to Upton Magna. We dropped down to Upton Forge and by now the :sun:was shining and it felt really good to be out. Wroxeter was next and then the loop round in Eaton Constantine direction, where we came across a family of about 8 Pheasants in the road. I find these birds hilarious as they completely lose all sense of direction and thought, 1 is funny but 8 all running around in circles was hilarious. Eventually they remember "WE CAN FLY!!" and shot off over the hedgerow with much honking :laugh:.

We began to climb up towards Leighton area, overtaking a lady who was taking the dogs for a walk, on her bike, with them attached to the bike by rope! At the staggered junction she met a couple of joggers who had dogs with them, not on leads and there was a bit of a stand off between the dogs, before all settled down. We arrived at the bottom of the main climb of the day, Spout Lane, which climbs about 700ft in 5 miles and it was Doug's first trip up here, so I suggested a stop for a snack was in order, to ensure the energy levels were topped up for the climb. Whilst stopped a dog walker came down the lane with 2 black Labradors and they came rushing towards us and wanted to partake in our food :laugh:. Eventually, after much cajoling by the owner, they left us alone and we began the long climb. It was quite warm now in the sun and I was glad I had taken my windproof layer off, as we arrived at Little Wenlock and then continued the climb up to The Wrekin, before the superb downhill section to the Buckatree Hotel, topping out at 31mph on one section.

The road was closed for maintenance, as we reached the junction we needed, but luckily not in the direction we were taking and so we continued along Wrekin Course and up to Charlton Hill. Layers had gone back on, as it was still chilly on the downhill sections. There is a short steep downhill section from Charlton and I had a bit of a moment, as I misjudged how muddy the road was and when braking I skidded off into the ditch and almost came off the bike as I ground to a halt in the mud and gravel :eek:. Doug came past me and his words were "I thought you were coming off then"! I thought I was as well, but no real damage done, other than gravel in the brakes and mud all up the bike. The roads were in such a state for the majority of the ride, that it looked like we had been off roading anyway.

We then retraced our steps towards Wroxeter, including a near miss for me with a squirrel that ran out into my path and caused me to skid on the damp road again! We passed a horse, rider and dog, with a nice friendly hello from the rider and arrived back home in just about enough time for me to jump in the shower and get some dinner before driving to work for the afternoon.

This was supposed to be a warm up ride, ready for @Rickshaw Phil to drag us up The Longmynd on Sunday, but with 50mph winds forecast for then, there is no chance of that happening me thinks :sad:.

31 miles at 11mph avg and 1550 ft of climbing.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Two contrasting rides today. This morning was nice :sun: after all the earlier rain but not too cold. The roads were still wet and there was low mist hanging round in places. The drivers behaved themselves and it was a pleasant run in.

I wondered whether I might catch up with @gavgav and Doug later in the ride as I knew they were out this morning and their planned route would take them past my work. They were too far ahead of me though (I was reasonably sure they'd already passed Upton Forge when I got to there as the only fresh tracks matched their makes of tyre).

During the afternoon the rain started. The forecast said I might be riding in showers but it was persistant rain from about 2PM right through until after I got home.:rain: On the plus side, the waterproofs did their job this time (although I think the trousers could do with another coat of the proofing round the knees) and by not getting cold or wet it was actually a fairly pleasant ride in spite of the weather.

The usual 20.2 miles at 12.7 average.

Last edited:

djb1971

Legendary Member
Think they lied about the mini heat wave, they've forecast bloomin' gales!

Sorry lads.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've been cooped up in the house for a few days due to poor weather and lack of motivation. I was starting to feel a bit depressed and then it dawned on me that we are now well into S.A.D. season. The unexpectedly good weather leading up to the past few days had fooled me and I had forgotten how late in the year it is.

So, I have started using my light box to brighten up this room, and I have forced myself to go for extended walks to the shops - rather than a level walk of about 350 metres each way, I have been walking up a 20% hill, along a bit, and down another 20% hill to the shops, just to get some exercise and spend a bit more time in natural light.

Anyway ... it was a murky start to today, but the forecast looked good for this afternoon. I rang my pal Bill and asked if he fancied accompanying me on another cycling tour of local lumpiness, which he did.

Our route was Hebden Bridge, Pecket Well, Cock Hill, Oxenhope, Penistone Hill (East side), Stanbury, Oldfield, Hill Top, The (defunct) Herders Inn, Laneshaw Bridge, Trawden, Clarion House, Coldwell, Haggate, Worsthorne, Mereclough, Long Causeway, Blackshaw Head, Colden, Slack, Lee Wood, Hebden Bridge.

64 km (40 miles) and as usual, barely a flat road to be seen!

Oxenhope Trawden Long Causeway 64 km loop profile.gif

The sun was shining and (apart from a sore back screaming for mercy on the climbs!) I felt good.

Ponden Reservoir from Hill Top.jpg

I had forgotten that I had bought my usual slice of Coffee & Walnut cake when I did my weekly market shop this morning. It was waiting for me when we got back. I say 'me' but that should really be 'us' because I shared it with Bill before he set off home.

I am trying hard to get my kms/miles in so I can achieve my year's MCL distance target of 3,650 miles (10 miles/day average) before winter sets in and scuppers it. I am now at the 82% point, with 661 miles remaining. Having the target is helping to motivate me so I will set one again next year, but probably up the target to 4,000 miles, ~11 miles a day. (Those will be road miles. Hopefully, I will be doing offroad miles again next year too - I need to fix the brakes on my MTB and get back on the great bridleway network that we have here in the South Pennines.)

went out for a ride this morning, but sadly neither my head nor my legs were really with it... 4 km in I knew I had made the wrong choice on clothing and should not have put an extra layer on and was too warm. I have a wander around the back lanes, came across some Virginia creeper which yelled at me... thankfully I no longer have a red bike, otherwise it may have been lost in the excellent camouflage that this wall offered. :laugh:

IMG_1691.JPG

and then wandered home again via (unplanned) the biggest hill around here that I could of accidentally re-found...
It was been one of those mornings...

so just 32km in warm sometimes sunny weather... http://www.strava.com/activities/208289180

A bit wet and dreich on this morning's commute but quite mild. Suffered a front tyre pinch puncture but there was a handy bus shelter in which to carry out the tube replacement. On the plus side my new front light is really making a difference on the unlit sections of my commute.
Sun is out now so it should be a pleasant ride home later this afternoon

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A bit wet and dreich on this morning's commute but quite mild. Suffered a front tyre pinch puncture but there was a handy bus shelter in which to carry out the tube replacement. On the plus side my new front light is really making a difference on the unlit sections of my commute.
Sun is out now so it should be a pleasant ride home later this afternoon
A like for the report :thumbsup:, not for the puncture or the dreich morning.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It was another nice morning and a little warmer I think. Once again the roads were pretty wet from the earlier rain so the bike is going to want a good clean over the weekend. I decided to take the detour through Attingham Park again which makes a nice change from the routine.

The forecast threatened showers for the return trip but fortunately those didn't materialise this time. What I did have was lots of traffic on the roads round Attingham and a couple of close passes at high speed. There are major roadworks on the A5/A49 at the moment (been going on all summer and not due to finish 'til late this year) and I think this is traffic using these roads as a rat run to avoid the queues.

It was better once I got onto the quieter roads again. I got passed on one of the climbs by another cyclist who then disappeared rapidly into the distance with no apparent effort. There are times I'd really like a lighter, faster bike.:blink: (Edit: I'd just like to point out that my commuting miles are all done on the knockabout bike - an 18kg lump, plus luggage.:heat:)

20.8 miles round trip today at 12.9 mph average.

Last edited:

Archeress

Veteran
went out for a ride this morning, but sadly neither my head nor my legs were really with it... 4 km in I knew I had made the wrong choice on clothing and should not have put an extra layer on and was too warm. I have a wander around the back lanes, came across some Virginia creeper which yelled at me... thankfully I no longer have a red bike, otherwise it may have been lost in the excellent camouflage that this wall offered. :laugh:

View attachment 59292

and then wandered home again via (unplanned) the biggest hill around here that I could of accidentally re-found...
It was been one of those mornings...

so just 32km in warm sometimes sunny weather... http://www.strava.com/activities/208289180
I love that photo, really nice colours.

Hugs
Archeress x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom