Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
A mixture of Remembrance Day Ceremony & other sporting events meant I only had a three hour window to fit in a ride today. I therefore just planned a local route that would take in the Canadian war memorial at Bolderwood so as I could pay my respects there too.

As it turned out three hours was more than long enough as an hour into the ride the New Forest turned into a rain forest & whilst I'm usually quite a hardy soul today was just about getting out & the thought of a hot cup of tea & a lump of cake meant helped me decide to cut it short to just 33 miles.

I also found out that my DHB roubaix tights squeak on the saddle when they get wet so it really was squeaky bum time today! :blush:

http://www.strava.com/activities/217321048

003.JPG

Freshly laid poppies at the Canadian War Memorial......just before the rains came!

006.JPG

Potential traffic chaos New Forest style!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Potential traffic chaos New Forest style!
:wub:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Up and out early today for my latest Kingsway CC ride. You could tell straight away it was going to be a good'un, with bright sunshine streaming in through the glass of the front door, and a nice fresh chill that let you see your own breath as you stepped outside. Dry, cold and sunny .... perfect conditions, to my way of thinking.:sun::cold:

I went with the shorts and fingerless mits today, and after the first few minutes, that turned out to be just about right for the conditions. A record turnout today outside Tesco Express on the Kingsway estate, and a proper peloton - 15 of us in all, due to 4 newbies turning up. We headed off out to Stonehouse and Cam before stopping off at the Black Shed cafe on the canalside at Slimbridge for a nice hot brew. Somehow, by this point we had lost 3 of our number. One of the new guys had apparently had some breathing problems, and had to turn back with his friend. Hope he's OK. We couldn't quite work out who else wasn't with us any more, and just had to put it down to the Stonehouse Triangle. From a personal perspective, it was quite nice being only the second oldest guy in the peloton - even if that new status only lasted for twenty minutes.

The return trip via Frampton on Severn and the riverside at Epney was nice and relaxed, and fortunately there was very little traffic as we drove along the riverbank through a shallow flood in the road at Stonebench. Still ended up with my lovely new white top all mud-splattered as we splashed our way through puddles everywhere. I think the actual organised ride was about 34 miles today, but I don't live on the estate, so I added another couple of miles getting there and back. As it happened, that left me (as I thought) about 6 miles short of a big landmark for the year. Big James and @Dark46 were both planning to carry on at the end of the ride to try out a new Strava segment ride, and it just turned out to be a 5.8 mile loop out to Haresfield and back, so that suited me just fine. The 3 of us breezed around with very little traffic, and had an enjoyable sprint finish back on Kingsway.

By the time I got home, I had done 44.3 miles today - actually my fifth longest ride of the year, though it didn't feel like it. That brings me up to 2,004.0 miles for the calendar year so far. Last year I set a PB of 1,724 for the year, so that has been well and truly smashed now.:dance: Guess I've got to up my target to 2,100 now.

Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well I just did a 51 mile local loop today and it was a struggle! Just one of those days when it didn't feel nice. At the 40 mile point I was a couple of miles from home but I decided I needed to suffer just a few miles more!

The plus point for the ride today was the debut of my winter North Wave GTX boots. My wordly word, they make a difference. If people are threatening to buy you a Christmas present and you don't have winter shoes I'd recommend them whole heartedly.

Sore legs, but warm toasty feet! :thumbsup:

How can you not ride on a day like today? [excepting those incapacitated]. Very light winds, full sun giving that special light only found at this time of year. Cold to start with but soon warmed up after the first mile long climb 10 minutes in to the ride. It's the time of year when you can see for miles, when light and shade produce larger than normal temperature differences, descend in the shade and you freeze [not so much on fixed though!],
climb in the sun and you sweat
Saw quite a few cyclists we knew and stopped to help a bloke who was in turn ineptly trying to help a young woman with a rear wheel puncture, he had no idea complete with a useless tiny pump and she had no repair kit at all. Turned out it was one of the women [we recognised her straight away] dr_pink had competed against in the National Hill Climb, quite a coincidence!
Got them sorted and carried on to the tea stop, 20 mins and away again. Overtaken by a roadie we had spoken to in the cafe as we were descending to a junction, as he went past he said "see you then", sigh. We passed and dropped him on the next climb, rule of thumb, never ever overtake another cyclist unless you know who they are, it can get embarrassing.
A really lovely ride, 62 miles, photos were taken but I think they don't really do the ride justice, instead here is a pic of one of my geese [we have 3] who I had to get back to take for a walk and feed. He is quite a character!
7320B56D-4164-4100-8635-6AE1603E730A_zpsuwx48kgl.jpg

Dark46

Veteran
My ride turned out today to be 42.8 miles, so I was pleased with that. I couldn't believe the amount of people waiting for me to turn up for the ride this morning. I counted 15 which is a record for the club, and hope that it's a good sign for the future if the club . The ride started off with acting as I wind break in the front of the peleton. The rude as was discussed was to the Black Shed but off the main roads. Everything was fine until one if the group has to turn back with health problems.( I hope he's ok)
Starting off to Stonehouse I had a couple of moments, one of stupidity where I didn't think, ( I have to opologise to @gordifinbar) the other with a car which decided to give me NO room at all ! Why is it so difficult for them to wait a second! I had to stop a few minutes to gather my thoughts before carrying on. I seriously considered turning round and going home.

I caught up with the Club in Sonehouse at a junction where they were turning off. The ride was pleasant as the weather was better than I expected and made some of the roads better than they had been recently.

I took a wrong turning on the way to Leonard Stanley and ended cutting probably a mile off the route. As I was in front then everyone else followed. There was a sting in the road I took as the hill there no one in the group knew was there.

From there we crossed the bottom of Frocester Hill and made our way to Cam then on to Slimbridge for the Black Shed cake and coffee stop. But as I didn't take any money then I had some water from one of my bottles and a banana that I was carrying in the back of my jersey.

After the stop it was back to the A38 to start the trip home, almost immediately I was dropped as with my Hybrid missing a couple of teeth on the top ring, I really find it hard on dead straight roads to keep up. My biggest problem was I lost the slipstream of the guy in front as I didn't expect the push. I set some PBS on the A38 even though I was on my own so I was pleased with that result.

Turning off the A38 heading to Frampton , we lost a couple more of the group as they had a time limit. As per usual when heading through Frampton I guessed the route were taking home. I was right as we headed to the Longney Loop, but this time we went clockwise. Recently we have gone anti clockwise.

Getting back to the Kingsway there was talk about doing the new circuit that I created on Garmin and Strava . My milage so far was just over 32 miles. As Donger wanted to do another 6 miles and my new segment was 5.8 miles James and I decided to go with him . We took to the new TT Loop and it was a lot better than the last 2 trips for me on it, as when I created it it was dark and wet. So this time I improved my time by over a minute.

I was really good to be with @Donger as he passed the 2K mile marker and he let out a woohoo.

I was hoping I had also broken the 1500 mile marker, but had no idea as I didn't know what I needed. As I write this now is have covered 1499 miles this year! Sod's law !

At the moment I'm sat here wishing I had some money to get a road bike.! I wish there was a way like Caterham F1 are trying to raise money from fans donating I could get one lol. But with no fans I've no chance :sad:
Just have to wait to next year and hopefully some things might come my way, you just never know

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Despite yesterday being my 'ride' day, I wimped out due to the weather turning really horrid in the afternoon, so instead went out today. Late post-lunch pedal as I had my Cub pack to take to Remembrance Day service and parade this morning, really proud of the lads who were perfectly behaved.
Made the most of the afternoon sunshine, and headed out in 3/4's with long sleeves, just about right with a chilly start but warmed through nicely after a couple of miles. No real direction today, so ended up trying Callow Hill, legs must be getting better as I thought I was slow but managed a PB which was nice. Made the mistake of cycling through WGP on a sunny Sunday afternoon, post-lunch walkers everywhere, so quickly scampered out through the village side and towards Ascot before heading back home. I'm trying to ride 'loops' now, rather than covering the same roads out and back, so ended up adding 5 miles onto the ride to avoid doing so.
25 miles today, enjoyed that one:smile:

Stu Smith

Veteran
It's Knott Winter 100k Sportive.
Bowland Knott climb seemed to go on and on and on.

https://www.strava.com/activities/217267687

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How can you not ride on a day like today? [excepting those incapacitated]. Very light winds, full sun giving that special light only found at this time of year. Cold to start with but soon warmed up after the first mile long climb 10 minutes in to the ride. It's the time of year when you can see for miles, when light and shade produce larger than normal temperature differences, descend in the shade and you freeze [not so much on fixed though!], climb in the sun and you sweat
I've been cooped up for 3 days staring out of my window at depressing drizzle and rain so I made sure that I got out in the sun today. I was just going to do my 19 mile Cragg Vale loop but as soon I felt the warmth of the sun, I decided to do a couple of extra climbs adding 8 miles to my total. A lovely couple of hours out!

If it hadn't been for insomnia keeping me awake until 04:00 I would have got up earlier and done 40+ miles instead, but I was feeling knackered before I even got out of bed!

Saw quite a few cyclists we knew and stopped to help a bloke who was in turn ineptly trying to help a young woman with a rear wheel puncture, he had no idea complete with a useless tiny pump and she had no repair kit at all. Turned out it was one of the women [we recognised her straight away] dr_pink had competed against in the National Hill Climb, quite a coincidence!
Hmm - I find it a bit annoying when people go out unequipped to deal with mechanical problems and then expect other people to sort them out, or drop what they are doing and drive over to give them a lift home!

Got them sorted and carried on to the tea stop, 20 mins and away again. Overtaken by a roadie we had spoken to in the cafe as we were descending to a junction, as he went past he said "see you then", sigh. We passed and dropped him on the next climb, rule of thumb, never ever overtake another cyclist unless you know who they are, it can get embarrassing.
Oh yes, that gives me an embarrassing flashback ... :whistle:

Years ago, I was tackling the aforementioned Cragg Vale climb when I spotted a couple of cyclists ahead of me. I seemed to be gaining on them so I made a big effort to make the catch. As I got closer to them I saw that one looked very fit, but the other was a huge guy who must have weighed about 18 stone. I admit that I did make a judgement about his probable lack of fitness as I overtook the pair. :becool:

Anyway - I tried to pull away from them but only managed to gain about 100 metres on them and then my legs started to go when I got to the steeper section, mid-climb. :wacko:

To my horror, they caught me back up and sailed past on the steepest part of the climb, laughing and joking, drinking from their bottles. The big guy smiled at me and said "You need to learn to pace yourself!" They accelerated away from me and disappeared off up the hill ... :blush:

PS I like the goose!

jayonabike