Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I don't know if any of you know, but Norwich finally has a decent bike shop. We do have some lovely LBSs but nothing huge and awesome and yesterday.... an Evans Cycles opened.
We need a couple of pairs of cheap flat pedals so we got on our MTBs and cycled the 3 miles, down the Marriott's Way and parked up in the bike cage at Duke Street Car Park. From there we hoofed it to Westlegate. Hubster seemed to want to go to Princes Street to go to Evans. I know not why. I set out for Westlegate with Hubster in my wake saying that he needed to look at his phone map to see where to go.

I arrived in Norwich on the 16th April 1964 and, although I have lived away from Norwich for about 16 years in total, I have learned my way around my home City. I pointed this out and we carried on through the city centre. At the bottom of Westlegate, I pointed out Evans and said "see, told you so". Hubster sped up and was mightily disappointed that it was a ladies clothes shop :laugh::laugh: I said "come on" and started to walk up Westlegate proper and there it was, in it's green and yellow splendour.

I got a pair of flat pedals to put on the MTBs as they are up for sale and I want to keep my SPDs. I looked at a rather nice Norco Threshold and then we headed home.

We had remembered lights this time so we walked back to Duke Street and rode home. Hubster didn't fancy going up Marlpit Lane so we followed the cyclepath along a bit further and got a bit lost on the estate but ended up doing 3 sides of a square and arriving at the top of the hill. Hubster was happy. From there we rode home. I rode around the block a bit as, although I know where I live, I'd rather all and sundry in the Garmin Community didn't.

7.41 miles in 46:35 minutes. Slow and steady along the cyclepath. It's dog walking heaven down there and I don't want to squish anyone as I go past.

Bikes now in shower room being cleaned. The pup has run off with my slippers so debating finishing the cleaning in my wellies.

BigAl68

Über Member
A quick 60km out of Bath and then a loop through the country lanes and back to Bath via the cycle path. Came across Santa also on his train.
DSC_0951.JPG

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
First ride with the new snow stud tyres today to bed the studs in. The riding experience is interesting with them fitted as you've got the buzz of a knobbly tyre (sounds like the warp drive from the original series of Star Trek :laugh:) plus the constant crackle of the studs. Surprisingly though they didn't seem to slow me down much.

I took a tour through Condover out to Acton Burnell and Cressage before turning north through Wroxeter, past my work and round to Atcham then through the lanes to Condover again before heading home.

It's quite windy out so the first few miles were a bit of a slog until Acton Burnell where I had a nice tail wind and could scoot along quite nicely to Cressage. I'd hoped to keep the tyres as dry as possible for the bedding in process so having to wade through a small flood on the lanes to Wroxeter wasn't ideal :rolleyes:.

On the way to Upton Forge the distinctive Virgin Trains livery caught my eye on the railway - our new direct service to London starts today.

At Atcham my route was blocked by flooding so a small detour was required. Nice to have found out about this before riding to work tomorrow.

Another detour was needed at Condover - going through the village again rather than taking the shortcut which also had signs up to say it was flooded.

28.5 miles at 12.4 mph average. In the wind and drizzly rain today I'd probably have done about the same speed on the TourRides, so fairly impressed. I've covered the recommended distance for bedding in - just need some ice or snow now.^_^

View attachment 74392
The Severn is in flood after heavy rain a couple of days ago. The old pill box is cut off at Cressage.

View attachment 74393
Looking to the Wrekin from the same location.

View attachment 74394
On the way to Wroxeter looking over the Severn Valley to the Stretton hills in the distance.

View attachment 74395
As I'm here: The almost obligatory view of the ruins of Viroconium at Wroxeter.

View attachment 74396
The River Tern is quite high as well and we have another old pill box guarding the river crossing.

View attachment 74398
The flood plain at Atcham.

View attachment 74400
Just after the bridge my way is blocked..........

View attachment 74399
...........As is the adjoining road to Cross Houses. However, some people won't believe the signs (a slightly-more-than-three-point-turn being performed down there).:rolleyes:

My Schwalbe snow-studs arrived yesterday :smile: Just need to bed them in !!!

13 rider

Guru
Rode out to mates house and completed a 25 loop around Leicestershire lanes around ragdale .after completey exhausting my mate (hes has just took up cycling to get fit) .I set of for home the long way with a target of 50 m in my mind .got to 40 and then hit some proper headwinds literally stopping me rolling downhill and destroying my legs. Got to crossroads left short route home ,right long way into headwind again ,straight on to some proper climbs .Wimped out and went left made it home to discovered Id done 47 m. Even considered riding pass home to complete the distance but as I live on top a hill wimped out of that again and settled for 47 m which is still my longest ride to date and average speed at 11.8 mph not to bad as ride with mate is steady for me and then the headwind on the way home . another cold but dry ride in the three months I've been back riding I've only got wet once can't really believe the weather so far I've been lucky. Anyway back at home shattered with aching legs :biggrin: why am I enjoying that feeling sorry posted originally in wrong thread (show me your newbie progress) appears Im still a newbie on chat room

chewa

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
I haven't ridden all week. Combination of dreadful icy weather here and then Friday dahn saff in da smoke for the office Christmas party lunch. 6.20 flight down (so up at 4) then got caught in the aftermath of the NATS computer meltdown,so my 20.50 flight didn't take off until 00.15!!:sad: Home just before 2 a.m so that wrote Saturday off too and today was spent delivering presents.

Dark46

Veteran
A tough ride today 40 miles in the wind. Legs aching even after being in the bath for an hour.

To be honest I left the house with thermal top and rain coat and thermal gloves, when I left the house it seemed that I had the right clothing on.

We had about 10 people turn up for the ride today. Which considering the cold in though it was a good turnout. As usual @gordifinbar and @Donger were both there.

We set off in the Kingsway not long after 0900, it was quite a brisk pace. I slowly made my way through the pelaton to lead coming out of the Kingsway heading into Coplanar Pk. I put my foot down hoping to break away to try the bridge segment on my own. But it's a bit silly trying hard at the start of a ride. Well that's me.

We headed along Secondary Way, and along thematic road till we got to the dualcarriage way where we turned left towards Maisemore. We went through Maisemore and at the Peak of the hill in had to stop. I had to adjust my right shoe and sock as it was really aching evertime I pressed on the pedal.

I then had to push down the hill past Hartpury college, but as I haven't really done much riding in the last few weeks my legs didn't want to play ball. Not long after Hartpury village in found @gordifinbar waiting for me, with a note to say that everyone will be waiting at Staunton.

It was a decision of do we go to Ledbury or Tewkesbury? As there was a few peeps that had time restrictions then it was decided to go the shorter of the two routes.

It wasn't long that I found myself alone again, as everyone else has a road bike and me on my hybrid. You get used to it, I stayed on the road until I saw someone waiting at the turn off point at Berrow. For a few moments I thought I missed the turn off point and was going to end up at Upton on Severn.

Everything upto then was going on, but we were starting to turn for home and the windy ride home would begin in ernest.

Well @Donger was waiting at the turn off point and we set off towards Tewkesbury. I tried keeping up with him but as soon as we hit a incline and he's diesel engine kicked in her was gone.

A little way on I found Dean and @Donger waiting again by a road closed sign as we were going through.
After the M5 we found everyone waiting as there had been a off, but she was fine and everyone was ready to roll again.

Going into Tewkesbury the lights over the bridge were red and @Donger and Dean had to wait and I took too the pavement and carried on lol. In Tewkesbury the wind really hit me and I really started to struggle and list sight of the others quickly. At one point I stopped to message the guys not to be wait as I was struggling. Just as I finished sending it @Donger appeared and turned round and acted as a wind break for me.

When we arrived at Coombe Hill the others were waiting and decided to stay together for the last miles down the A38, we were averaging about 12 mph which was good considering the wind.

Going into Gloucester we avoided the centre as it's so close to Christmas. This time I didn't go to the start point to finish as I was finished! But going back into Coplanar Pk @Donger was slowing for me to finish with him.

For me the ride was 40 miles and even though the ride was tough it's always enjoyable.

Even a decent breakfast would probably be enough to prevent bonking at 28 miles, it's quite early

Yeah, I thought so too. I had a large bowl of sugar puffs and some orange juice and it's usually enough for me to get through 40 without issue. I'm putting it down to a bit of a cold/manflu and a lack of training of late. Don't think i actually bonked after reading up on it, just ran out of energy completely. Managed to do the last 10 or so miles slowly, which i dont think i would have been able to do if i'd actually bonked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom