Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toeclip

Guru
After a frosty start this morning it turn out lovely, sunny and warm so I took my Claud Butler Dalesman out for a 21 miles spin through the local lanes, this was also my longest ride this year!

Basil.B

Guru
First time back on the bike since November. Nice sunny afternoon, so I had a ride out to Woodstock (Oxon).
Only done about 10 miles, legs a bit stiff.
Really enjoyed being back on the bike though.

zacklaws

Guru
Went out for a hilly 50 miler and to try out my new Edge 800 otherwise not much exciting happend. Apart from, I've not had a near miss with a vehicle for ages and along came two today.

First I was stopped at a road junction waiting for a car coming from my left that was going to turn into the road I was coming out of, only problem was the driver decided to cut the corner and was coming straight at me, just as panic started to set in and I jump out of the way, the driver finally spotted me and swerved around me at the last moment, an old granny that just looked at me as if I should not have been there as she past, she probably cuts the corner off every time she goes that way and never expects to meet anything.

Then I was cruising along at 22mph, when I got to a crossroads and as I was on the main drag, I had right of way, but a white van appeared from the minor road to the right, I suddenly realised this driver would pull out in front of me because he could not see me, I knew this as his head was hidden behind the "A" support, so I had to presume he could not see me either, so I walloped the brakes hard, just as he pulled out, but at the same time his passenger said something and the van stopped dead halfway across the road in front of me letting me pass. Good job he did stop though as I would have smacked into him at 20mph, according to my Gamin download that's all I managed to slow down in the 2 seconds that I had to brake in.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Went out for a hilly 50 miler and to try out my new Edge 800 otherwise not much exciting happend. Apart from, I've not had a near miss with a vehicle for ages and along came two today.

First I was stopped at a road junction waiting for a car coming from my left that was going to turn into the road I was coming out of, only problem was the driver decided to cut the corner and was coming straight at me, just as panic started to set in and I jump out of the way, the driver finally spotted me and swerved around me at the last moment, an old granny that just looked at me as if I should not have been there as she past, she probably cuts the corner off every time she goes that way and never expects to meet anything.

Then I was cruising along at 22mph, when I got to a crossroads and as I was on the main drag, I had right of way, but a white van appeared from the minor road to the right, I suddenly realised this driver would pull out in front of me because he could not see me, I knew this as his head was hidden behind the "A" support, so I had to presume he could not see me either, so I walloped the brakes hard, just as he pulled out, but at the same time his passenger said something and the van stopped dead halfway across the road in front of me letting me pass. Good job he did stop though as I would have smacked into him at 20mph, according to my Gamin download that's all I managed to slow down in the 2 seconds that I had to brake in.

Good foresight (or anticipation) :thumbsup:
Had the same a couple of weeks ago with a BMW driver. Thankfully i was primed by exactly what you're describing. TBF, he stopped and apologied.
A good skill for all cyclists...

asterix

Comrade Member
Had a brilliant ride today. The sun was shining, it was cool but not cold and spring felt just around the corner. I hadn't been on a bike for over a week and I had a chance to get out on the Roberts that I hadn't ridden for 3 months. I was also concerned about my fitness.

There was hardly a car on the roads until I reached a town, before that I had seen a dozen cyclists going t'other way. Probably some club run. After going through the town (Nexon) I headed back into the hills without any route planning, overtook this guy on a road bike and then found this fantastic hill I'd never known about. It was steep and about two kilometres to the top very like Sutton Bank but straighter and I was relieved to find myself going up it nae bother. It will be very useful for future fitness runs.

With no computer I've no idea how fast or far..

theloafer

Legendary Member
my first ride of the year (not counting going to work) last out nov 2010.....32 miles was great but ached when i got back was very sunny not much wind
first ride 001.jpg thought it was best to use the bridge today.. :biggrin:

larry

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Rain forecast at lunchtime so out for a few miles to try out the new wheels.
Too windy, too cold, feet and fingers cold, sod it.
11 miles to my cafe, egg, beans, black pudding, 2 toast and a mug of tea then a slight detour back...circa 25 miles in all.
Roll on the warm weather.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Been working silly hours recently... so I decided to claim back a bit with a "stick it to The Man" ride (I think I got the title from someone on here
smile.gif
). Working from home today, so once the kids were packed off to school, I went out about 9am, was back by 10.20, 18 and a bit quick (for me) miles in the mist, but no wind... lovely ride... nobody need ever know, except me (and you)
smile.gif

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 51
I decided will all the time I'm spending filibustering on the web I had time for a short ride instead. So I went for a short loop around town on my heavy hybrid; despite being on a cr@p bike I think I've rediscovered that Lycra fetish :blush:

I went on a half-on-, half-off-road ride. On one of the bridleways they have been doing forestry work and the vehicles have turned it into a slurry. Had to put a foot down when the bike just stopped (and this is a Specialized MTB) and the mud was up to the ankle.

One warm foot and one cold one for the rest of the ride... good fun though, except the short burst on the A272 which always feels like being on Death Row.

60 long, cold, and damp miles around the slurry covered lanes of rural leicestershire yesterday left me feeling very self righteous. :becool: The first hour really dragged but the remaining three went by quite quickly, and I especially enjoyed a stop at my favourite cafe in Hallaton. And my lactic tolerance has really improved after a winter in the gym...

chrispidgeon

20 miles around Lowdham, Lambley, Bleasby (Notts) on my slick shod MTB.

Gave my new spd peds and shoes their first run.

Cold and wet (ish), but enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom