Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A couple of miles shy of 50 today. Started in bright sunshine around the lanes north of St. Albans. After a tea stop at the Mulberry cafe in St Albans, the last 20 were cycled in pouring rain and the temperature had dropped a couple of degrees to help with the proceedings. One of my mates turned up this morning in shorts and only a short and long sleeved tops with cycling mitts. He was a bit cold when we got home.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
rear end puncture so half hour walk , never bother carrying tools & tubes etc etc

D

Deleted member 1258

On holday and got the day to myself today, so out on the Fixed this morning. Started of following the route of this event, http://www.mikevaughancycles.co.uk/info/warwickshire100.php I'm riding a week Sunday. Out of Coventry through Stonleigh following the route here http://bikeroutetoaster.com/course.aspx?course=204101 through to Kineton working from memory, then couldn't remember the turn in Kineton so headed over to Wellesbourne for something to eat at the Cafe on the airfield before riding home. Cold grey day with a strong wind, the sun came out whilst I was at Wellesbourne but the ride home was a slog into the wind. 59 hard but enjoyable miles covered.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Circa 20 miles commuting today, much of it this evening riding alongside the River Nene towards Whittlesea...to see a Police helicopter scouring the river for some poor 16 year old that disappeared in town over a week ago. Last week i took that route and they had police divers at work. Late last year i took that route...just as they found the body of some poor soul that'd disappeared after the beer fest. I dont want to see another body, yet i spent the whole length of my time alongside the Nene looking in the water...
Still, light winds, reasonably bright and dry...nice ride.

PeteStatic

Just 5.25 miles each way to work but completed my second 100% commuting week in a row (a record). So feeling good considiering I've cycled with a sore throat and cold and got wet 3 times (not sure if they're related). On a couple of occasions usually with a strong wind behinf me I felt like I'm begining to get the hang of this cycling lark. Anyway off to the pub to celebrate.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Around 17 miles, just a meander round local country roads, back into Peterborough then home for sunday lunch.
Light winds, reasonably mild although glad i put my overshoes on...no rush although made some nice pace without pushing very hard...think it must be the new wheels, they certainly run freely.
It took a lot of psyching up to go out this morning, i'm lacking a bit of drive to get out there...but couldnt face sitting about doing nothing, one of those days when you get agitated and dont know what to do. Glad i did, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Disturbingly little traffic around...that's getting noticed by more and more people...all for the good.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
50Km in the leicestershire sunshine - makes a change - this time of year I do most of my cycling in the dark. Suprised a RLJ who inspite of hiis 10 second head start I still managed to speed past him 200m down the road and after 49km of my bike ride too, think I suprised him a bit....

54.7 miles today. Took my usual route across the moors to Yatton, then on to Congresbury and up Burrington Coombe. Carried on up that fine hill with the nuisance cattle grids and took a right a few miles on top to take the road down to the Gorge. Got irritated with a sightseer doing 15 mph until, bless him, he moved over. Took the route out of Cheddar to Wedmore and then onto the back end of Wells where I took the loop back to Cheddar and back onto the A38 and home on the main road from Yatton as Mr. Sun was fast disappearing.

One nincompoop overtook me and then thought it a good idea to immediately turn left nearly cutting me up. THanks.

However hard I try at the moment, what with all the hills, I can't get an average above 16. something. Going to start a new routine this week, have joined a gym so less beer, more working out during the week and a better ride, I hope, shall follow at the weekend. Need to do some nice flat journeys down towards South Somerset where last year, one route, I averaged around 18.5 average speed.

My first loaded tour of the year:
Friday 52 miles Edinburgh to Toushielaw
Saturday 40 miles Toushielaw to Canonbie
Sunday 40 miles Canonbie to Carlisle (the secuitous way).

Lots of climbing through scenic, empty countryside and NO RAIN! :thumbsup:
My legs and bum will thank me for it later...

pepecat

I did about 50 hilly miles easily today in the sunshine....... all in my head.
The reality tomorrow will be about 20 miles in the cold (and hopefully sunshine), I'll struggle up the hills and my butt will be sore afterwards.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
20 glorious sunny miles, very little wind, a quick test ride after stripping my carbon forks off and lubing the headset. Funny how it makes you nervous having stripped it all...i kept applying the front brakes to make sure everything was secure. Headset bearings were a little gritty, especially the bottom one. Nice to know they're back in tip top condition.
Crikey, while i was stripping it all, i lifted out the fork (full carbon) and wheel/tyre...jesus, its light.
Like Monsieur Remings, i'm struggling to find some vim, just dont seem to be able to up my game. Still averaging 15mph whatever distance i do, but thats it at the moment.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
I suspect i have ridden more times at night this year than in the day...

Sometimes a crystal clear sky with enough moon to light the backroads allows just enough to wonder what the latest animal crossing my path is (& a 3w beam helps too) followed by the second one, oh it's a deer :ohmy: not seen one for a while & not this close

a pleasent 10 miles and 36 minutes of my life :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
First real ride since my operation on my shoulder 3 weeks ago. 34 miles as flat as I could make it (still 1250 feet of climbing) at an average of over 18mph. Bright and sunny and a little nippy. Loads of cyclists out - must have seen about 30, mainly roadies...mid week on a Tuesday ? Are we all out of jobs or on the sick ? :whistle:

Spotted 6 of the GB squad heading out to Chelford from Alderley Edge.

Glorious out there !

IMAG0002.jpg

asterix

Comrade Member
Yesterday, actually but a very fine ride. Was out for a few hours round the back roads in lovely sunshine compensated for by a rather chilly N. Easterly.

It's the first hilly ride I've done for a week or two but once I got warmed up it was ok. It's impossible to do a flat ride round here anyway!

I don't remember being overtaken by one single car altho I there were two or three oncoming ones and a tractor.

Saw a cuckoo flying along with the typical dipping flight but it didn't make a sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom