Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toeclip

Guru
Frosty and foggy in South Essex this morning but once that old currant bun came out it was lovely so out I went for a 20 mile spin in the lanes.

soulful dog

Veteran
Aborted due to the stupid wind :angry:

50mph gusts today, 40mph forecast tomorrow and 60mph on Thursday. After doing my highest ever weekly mileage last week (only 70 miles but probably 50 is the most I'd done up to now), I'm just hoping it's going to be nice by Saturday.

pepecat

Did about 15 miles.
It was windy so i shortened it from the plan of 20.
I wore too many layers, so i was too hot (abandonded the buff under the helmet after about 2 miles!)...
Not a great ride.

Jayne Raynor

Did 17 miles today, was supposed to be 15 but took a wrong turn - new route! Very windy but beautiful sunshine, really pleased to be out and managed to get up one particular hill for the first time without stopping - Whoop!!!

GrasB

Veteran
Underdressed to work but battled through to 20 miles before I succumbed to the cold. Homebound my legs were fresh & I was perfectly dressed... hitting 145rpm on the flat much to the bewilderment of some drivers - the battle of the musts:
1) must slow down for speed camera
2) must overtake cyclist

Pigo

A nice 20 miles across the Fens - the wind was a killer but the clear skies more than made up for it!
My longest ride to date on my new bike (8 days & loving it more with every ride!)
:rolleyes:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Got to say, i'm a sceptic and when i fitted new wheels i didnt think they'd make that' much difference...but they roll so freely. Even against the fairly strong wind tonight, i seemed to go faster than i'd thought possibe..so cyclings a treat at the moment.
Just my normalish extended commute again today, totalling sub 20 miles around town.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Normal commute for me today, had a good run back home got a pace maker in front who was riding a good turn of speed for 4 miles or so through Mottram St Andrew. Also had some woman in a black toyota who seemed to want to beep me every time she past :wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Another ride today - 26 miles, steady around Alderley Edge / Mottram St Andrew. Just pulled out onto Alderley to Mottram road (the one Swiss Hill is on) when I heard the whoosh of a set of carbon wheels. Two guys flew past. Took me a bit to catch up as I can't get out of the saddle properly, so it was a slow acceleration out of the junction. Fortunately I was turning off to head home - they were motoring.

Windy on the way out, and the clouds started to roll in later i the ride. Missed the showers by 30 minutes - bonus. Shoulder is a bit stiff now.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Wet. Very wet. Should have waited till later rather than an 8am kick-off as it's quite nice now. Cut it short really and only stayed out for an hour in the end, none of were overly keen in the wind and rain. Bummer!

Don't tell Ianrauk or fossy but I cleaned my bike properly with a bucket of water and everything, rinsed it off with freshly harvested rainwater and brought it inside for a nice dry!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Wimped out today. I have a bit of a hangover from last night, and my cycling pal phoned to say it was raining heavily and didn't fancy the 30 miler we were going to do. I was in my cycling gear at this point so I got changed and made a cup of tea instead.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Now that winter has perhaps thrown in the towel, I thought it was time to do my first serious ride of the year. I'd done a couple of 30 km hilly loops so there is strength in my legs but I thought stamina might be a bit on the low side. How right I was! I went on a mostly flat route and the first 60 km were no problem but I had to stop for five minutes to let my feet warm up and get some feeling back in my toes. By 70 km (the point of no return i.e. the last place with a train station before Ulm) I was feeling tired but still confident. I shouldn't have been confident. The last 30 km were murder. I think that if my thigh muscles were capable of independent action, I would have a couple of black eyes. I made it though and treated myself to a very good ice cream as a reward. Going up stairs tomorrow will be a screaming bastard. Still, just short of 100 km with one five minute stop will have done something for my stamina ... I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom