Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike Warren

Cold and bright today so I rode down the coast to Tynemouth then along the river to Newcastle Quayside, over the Blinking Eye and down the other side of the river to South Shields. Onto the ferry to North Shields and then back up the coast home. 41 miles in total.

A cool and bright 90 miles (5444 ft of climbing) with a mate, it was a little white at times and as we got to the top of the Tak Ma Doon Rd it was pretty Icy indeed thankfully the descent is pretty gradual and mostly on the main road, getting there was awkward though and a patch of black ice didn't help!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
NCN7 through Consett, Co. Durham.

Great pics- looks fantastic. I decided on a POET's day here and ambled across the Fen along the Lodes Way via Upware, Wicken and Burwell Fen on an easy 17 mile pootle. It was a stunning sunset, just before which I watched a big old barn owl lumbering up a tree stump with a vole or something in his claws. Very chuffed with himself he looked too. I did that squeaking sound you're supposed to do through your teeth to make them think there's a rodent about and come your way, but he just looked at me and if there was an owl way of saying 'you complete tosser' that was it. He flew off the other way having swallowed his prey not to be seen again. Another much smaller barn owl by Burwell Lode on Cock Up Bridge though flew just a few feet over my head, then another at Lode just a silhouette as it was getting really dark as Jupiter was appearing overhead.

endoman

First time ever cut a ride short. Was with a mate who is insulin dependent diabetic, doing a gentle 60 miler. Got to 45 ish and it was so cold his testing kit wouldn't work, we headed for a pub and sorted his sugars out. Got so cold we were still shivering 30 minutes later in the pub, so Mrs endo came out to get us. Had base layer, roubaix top and a windtex jacket on, buff on head, but still cold on top half. Coldest I've ever ridden in at minus 2. Once the sun had gone in it was too much for us. Wise decision to stop. Lovely ride though.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MTB: Train to Arundel, then up past the Black Rabbit, under clear blue skies, just before South Stoke the off road starts. Frozen solid, after a heavy frost, thick ice in every puddle begs to be broken, climb up to the river cliffs of the Arun and then down through the trees, across the roots (cleaned) and on to Houghton. South Downs Way up, up and up to the top of Bury Hill and across to Westburton Hill before dropping down to the foot of Bignor Hill. Cresting Bignor Hill we encounter a heard of about 30 deer trotting alongside us, oblivious to our presence and a walker dog barks and the shy away, we pause for breath and jelly babies before joining Stane Street. The power, the glory that was Rome echoes through the years as we see the spire of Chichester Cathedral in the distance. The Basilica of Noviomagus once stood on that same spot.

Through Eartham Wood heading south-west on the roller coaster of a roman road, 20m of tarmac and we are running north-east parallel to our former course wthi the whale backed hump of Nore Hill. One minute we are riding on bone dry chalk the next though Sussex's finest mud which clings and cloys to my tyres. Silently cursing my laziness in not putting my narrow mud tyres on y'day I curse audibly as the 2.4 front locks solid in the fork. A simple roll backwards reminds me of the younger days when I could do that without getting off and normal service is resumed. But I know the worst of the mud, not well thawed still lies in front of us.

Legs burning we pass north of Slindon, the ground sticky so that gentle downhills still require input from the pedals. So far we've passed one MTB-er and about a dozen dog walkers in 20km. We cross the A29 heading South East and on into the heart of Rewell Wood, climbing and in mud. My trackstand to see if I can see a line through one mire provokes a gasp of admiration from my companion, my chosen line a disaster; his works perfectly!

The sharp left in the words involves a short steep rutted ramp with a deep gully in the centre. My first attempt sees me on my arse, my second fails as I inadvertently unclip and it is on the third go that you hurt yourself so I dismount. My companion cleans it on his second attempt (My excuse; he is younger fitter and better looking than me) Climbing again on dry but loose ground we encounter a fallen tree that someone has chainsawed to allow passage. We emerge from the woods to find the sky has clouded over and as we wind ourselves across the open fields we see the spite of Arundel Cathedral in the near distance over the trees. We pass a couple of MTB-ers coming the other way who look visible shocked at our filthy state.

Into Screens Wood and more mud and mire to be attacked and the sound of the A27 over to our left. We are getting close to civilisation; such a shame that noise from motor cars is what proclaims this to us. We encounter another fallen tree this time completely blocking the bridleway. Getting past requires careful footwork on the saturated ground and at one point to avoid falling over when I trip I drop my bike on the floor. The mud is ever present and at one point dismounting is the only option. A short sharp downhill and we are spat out to the roar of cars besides the main road.

A short spin on tarmac back to the station where we spend the time waiting for the train by scapping the mud off our bikes with our gloved hands.

Only 27km, 450m of climbing, over two and half hours. But a half-epic nonetheless. My companion sums it up on the train "Fantastic".

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
38 miles and very :cold:

Great coffee stop though t'was a shame I didn't have enough cash on me for soup. Some of the others treated themselves and it looked delicious.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Urban ride for me today rather than countryfied with a 27 mile ride to Urmston and back. Lots of interesting sites including derelict shops in Sale and a tour through the largest council estate in Europe aka Wythenshawe.

potsy

Rambler
Urban ride for me today rather than countryfied with a 27 mile ride to Urmston and back. Lots of interesting sites including derelict shops in Sale and a tour through the largest council estate in Europe aka Wythenshawe.
Went there just before Christmas, 1st time for a while and was shocked at the amount of empty shops.
you should have waved as you passed thru Wythy, :hello:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Urban ride for me too - 35-odd miles around the back streets of East Ham and Plashet, far from scenic but rewarding in a rather odd way. No matter what I do, I always end up with frozen feet in this weather. Beautiful day though.

Globalti

Legendary Member
33 miles and about 3500 ft of up and down from home to Dunsop Bridge and back. The climb from Chipping up over Jeffrey Hill was tough but I managed it in one go. But Christ, it was cold! Ice all over the place and the roads covered in salt so the bike got a good wash down when I got back. Coming home was mostly downhill and I got cramp in my legs, can only assume it was because they got cold despite the woolly longs.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
33 miles and about 3500 ft of up and down from home to Dunsop Bridge and back. The climb from Chipping up over Jeffrey Hill was tough but I managed it in one go. But Christ, it was cold! Ice all over the place and the roads covered in salt so the bike got a good wash down when I got back. Coming home was mostly downhill and I got cramp in my legs, can only assume it was because they got cold despite the woolly longs.
I did 33 miles too on my forum ride today, a bit further south than you. Yes - it was cold! I've been home for over 3 hours and I'm still not back to a proper working temperature! (My gas fire is on full, and I'm wearing thick jogging bottoms, a woolly hat, a big jumper and a long-sleeved top under that!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom