Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Exchanged friendly waves with three guys on road bikes this afternoon heading in the opposite direction to me and couldn't help but overhear the teeniest snippet of their conversation:

The imagination boggles. Or at least mine did for the remaining 20 miles of my ride. :unsure:

Criminal eh? Didn't you feel like -discreetly*- follow them? :ph34r:

5462.jpg

:whistle:

seems that the calm on the roads of late has ended. Not long into my ride, ......
My sympathies. Touch wood the calm is not over here; all I got in 48 miles was the old fart (cant think of the politically correct term at the mo) who decided to overtake at about 3mph faster than me and about 3cm from my bars, despite the fact we were on a long straight section of rural road where visibility was good and the opposing lane was empty. Give him some credit though, he carefully checked his mirror to see he hadn't hit me :whistle:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I did 38 gruelling miles around the hills of Accrington and Blackburn yesterday. A ten mile climb from my house to the Holland's pies factory at Baxenden was the highlight. It was like something out the TdF when they do the Pyrenees!:laugh: Ok, there were no loony spectators trying to pour water over me or screaming at me, but the pot holes and the traffic made it just as challenging!:dry:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
This is stretching the "Today" part of the thread title somewhat, but my other pics of this ride were so well received I thought I'd share a few more.
A vintage roadside sign. While I was here I was asked for directions to Bingham by a little old lady.
Img0012.JPG

My ride companion, "Crazy" Nick is riding a rather desirable Sid Standard Superbe, with altogether less desirable handlebars, and on the wrong side of the road. This worries me. What if he should collide with oncoming traffic? Where would I find some replacement decals? This pic was shortly after I discovered my rear wheel deflation and attempted some pump to valve resuscitation.
Img0023.JPG

The pump and ride scheme didn't work, so we had to stop at Long Clawson church for a more lasting remedy. Nick is a devout churchgoer and part-time preacher, while I'm a confirmed atheist. Out of respect, I uttered no profanities while searching for the offending glass f-f-fragment and f-f-fitting a replacement tube.
Img0025.JPG

Nick is also very keen on industrial archaeology, so our jaunts usually involve some off-road activity. We had to lift our bikes over a locked gate and negotiate a neglected track to reach this junction of two dismantled railways at SK735240. Afterwards we had to contend with a bramble-guarded stile and a ploughed field before regaining a reasonable track. Sid Standard was well-known for his saying "It's all ridable!". Sorry, Sid, but I'd like to have seen you tackle this one.
Img0032.JPG

At the end of the track, we saw this strange building in the middle of a field (SK737245). Is it a water tower? If so, why does it have a glazed top?
Img0033.JPG

Twentieth century technology reaches rural Leicestershire! This was at Scalford.
Img0037.JPG

More off-roading took us to the S end of the disused Hose tunnel (SK746257). Dispiritingly claggy ground, probably a clay cap over a short-lived waste tip, prevented cycling and meant we took at least ten minutes scraping a thick layer of muck off our shoes afterwards. However my spirits were lifted by seeing what I'm 90% sure was a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - I can't think of another sparrow-sized black and white bird which spirals up tree trunks, but I didn't get long enough views for a 100% positive ID.
Img0038.JPG

Road closed - but not to cyclists who give a friendly wave to the road-menders! Under the bent and battered exterior rust of my commuter lies a circa 1970 Bob Jackson, currently sporting a 32/52 chainset!!
Img0041.JPG

Nick descending Brock hill back towards the Vale of Belvoir. One of these days! We didn't get full advantage of the hill, as Nick insisted on stopping halfway down to investigate the possibilities of reaching the N end of the Hose tunnel. This would have involved another locked gate and a much more frequently used track in view of nearby houses, so the idea was shelved.
Img0040.JPG

Back via Hose, Harby, Colston Bassett, Cotgrave and Tollerton to drop Nick off at West Bridgford, while I carried on to central Nottingham to look for bargains on the Waitrose fish counter. Missed out on some half-price haddock by a couple of seconds, so settled for nearly a kilo of mussels for a knock-down 93p! By the time I got home I'd completed a metric century on nothing since breakfast but an excellent pint of Bombardier at Ab Kettleby, so I was more than ready for a plate of moules mariniere.

siadwell

Guru
36 miles including steep (or what passes for them) climbs up Ranmore Common and Leith Hill.
When I got home and checked Endomondo, I found that I hadn't in fact cycled, but (thanks to my daughter meddling with the settings) danced all the way. Maybe that's why my legs are killing me.

Just back from 16 miles this morning which were a real struggle. I thought my fitness was ok and then I had a bad chest cold last weekend which seems to set me right back to the start. Depressing.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
36 miles including steep (or what passes for them) climbs up Ranmore Common and Leith Hill.
When I got home and checked Endomondo, I found that I hadn't in fact cycled, but (thanks to my daughter meddling with the settings) danced all the way. Maybe that's why my legs are killing me.
I liked Ranmore Common, I used to go through Denbies on the bridleway at one end & White Hill (?)(Shere) at the other, on my way to where I now live.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Just back from 16 miles this morning which were a real struggle. I thought my fitness was ok and then I had a bad chest cold last weekend which seems to set me right back to the start. Depressing.
I know the feeling, caught a bug/virus this time last year, months before I got any 'fitness' back; speedy recovery.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Bit of an unsatisfying ride.

Went out early, in a nice dry frost, to do a steady 50 miler. But 10 miles in I encountered some huge swathes of ice across the road, so decided to turn back and do a shorter loop. Managed 35 miles in total, with a disappointing av. speed of 15.2mph.

First clipless moment today. Got to the dreaded steep hill and half way up I had to stop, pulled break as I unclipped my left foot, wrong I should have done my right, so down I went into a muddy puddle. Great stuff. It didn't put me off though, I walked to the top and got back on my way. As I was dusting myself down along came two lovely gentlement (cycling to Douglas) who stopped to check I was ok. Gladly the didn't see me come off. True what they say, cyclists are lovely people. ^_^

I'm so glad I wore black, came home looking llike I had been on a trail.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Just over 80 miles for me today with 400bhp Sportmonkey and Lymmlooper.
Early start, sneaked out at 6:30 met the others over in Sale then headed North upto Rivington near Bolton for some hilly riding in the sun. :sun: Stopped for a late breakfast at the cafe at Rivington. Purely because I have got into the habit of taking photos of food and not due to Potsy not attending due to work commitments I seem to have taken one photo.....:whistle:

Then a quick ride back although I was starting to feel the miles after about 75 when on the last leg having left the others over in Trafford.
IMAG0832.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom