Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Spent most of the morning cleaning the car after having being pulled out of a ditch yesterday evening :headshake:, but managed to get out for an hour this afternoon between duties. Nice and warm for the first time this year and just good to be out and enjoying the ride, watched 6 deer grazing in a field not too far from the road. The bike was on song and even the rider managed to power up the hills with gusto:rolleyes: - Feeling rather good now, with feet up and a chai latte :cuppa: .

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
75 miles at 12mph and 25 miles per pie. Set off from Meanwood, called in at my favourite butchers in Boroughbridge and compared pie tasting notes with him after purchasing some of his finest wares. Pressed on through Ripon and had a brief explore of a preserved gatehouse at West Tanfield that was once owned by Catherine Parr's grandmother. Investigated a castle at Snape. It was half inhabited a quarter ruin and a quarter church - odd. Cockburns' butchers in Bedale was the next port of call where some excellent salesmanship saw me leave with more wares than I went in for. Had a brief mooch around the Wensleydale railway at Leeming Bar before pressing onto Darlington via Northallerton and White's Butchers at Moreton-on-Swale and catching a train back to Leeds. It was a sub zero start to the day but the ride was fine as long as I was in the sun. The day was enhanced by two pies scoring a perfect ten and one scoring a nine.

a5aseqyr.jpg

Stepped into the Tardis at Wetherby and was transported back in time to this gate house at West Tanfield
upugu9y6.jpg

Found this Castle at Snape
seqy9usa.jpg

jabemu2e.jpg

Completely wrong forecast for the area this morning! So I went out with 3/4 tights, minus 2 layers and sunglasses to a dark, drizzly, freezing cold 32 mile hill training ride! One chicken panini and 2 black coffees later I managed to get rid off my grumpiness.. :huh:

Started off cloudy and cold here this morning with more cyclists on the roads than cars. Covered the same route as last weekend, but after no break from cycling during the week, and being out yesterday as well, it was hard going. Once the cloud cover left, the sun soon warmed the place up and I was quickly realising I had made the correct decision re clothing - not too much. Managed a best downhill speed on an interesting decline (57.5kph despite 2 very sharp bends) but no-one to chase up the A49 incline today which was just as well because I am exhausted and my legs aching having me in gears I have not used on that section for a while. We decided to press on and see how I felt at a sensible bale out point, but by that time I was feeling better, so we carried on.
Further on we came across the first daffodils in flower (a sheltered south facing wall) so it is offical Spring has sprung and by the end of the ride I was really noticing the increase in temperature - no photos because my camera is poorly after I managed to get soil in the shutters yesterday which is now stopping them opening properly - a pain because I go on holiday in 2 weeks and like to take both the little camera and the big camera with me, and now I can only take the big camera... will have to work on how to carry it on my bikes.
A good ride, but tired now. 55km in 2hrs 35mins. http://app.strava.com/activities/42940206

avsd

Guru
First full ride with the club yesterday and suffered due to my lack of miles in February. First 10 miles were a drag up the side of a mountain. Thankfully a mechanical provided a unscheduled rest stop and I found my second wind. 56miles of quiet country roads and a well-earned bowl of hot vegetable soup at the end. A decent start to March:thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1258

Desford the destination, 56 miles the journey, was greeted by bright sun this morning, but it didn't last, the day was mostly grey with a cold wind, but had a pleasant ride out to desford, I was on gears for the first time since October, found it slow hard work, been riding fixed all winter, left the cafe with the clubs vets ride, rare for me to be pounding along in a group, left them at Shenton to make my own way home, got the other side of Purley Chase and turned through Nuneaton to pick up my route home from work for the last leg, a hard but enjoyable morning out on the bike,
-PAXP-deijE.gif
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=508163

Verenti 01.jpg

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
30 miles today, first 10 over the same route as my first Sunday ride 5 week ago. It was a lot easier this time, I didn't feel like I was going cough up a lung. Instead of turning home at that point went left instead Up through Carlton then on to Sherburn via Lotherton Hall, and a steady finish through Fairburn Ings. Fair few cyclists about all friendly no groups though, just about warm enough to justify leaving my longs at home and still home in time to cook breakfast too.

Edit that's Colton not Carlton, bikes on my mind.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Circa 16 miles, my second ride of 2013...shocking.
Still, a nice steady pedal, one Green Woodpecker, one Yellowhammer ( are they resident ? I assumed they were migrant) , and one unexpected Muntjack deer, stood there, bold as brass on the side of railway scrubland near town.

Plenty of cyclists out there, quite a few more MTBers than normal.

Took the train to Stevenage for @TheDoctor's ride. 16-ish miles (part of which was blessed with a glorious sunshine) around Herts, coffee stop @ Datchwood (hardly touched anything as usual.. apart from a tiny slice of coffee and walnuts sponge with icing.. not even worth mentioning it really! :whistle:) and a ride back to Sandy. 41.5 miles in total and a very good time thanks to the fellow CC'ers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom