Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fossyant

There was indeed loads out, I have noticed that there are quite a few couples out on bikes these days too.

(I assume they are couples if not don't tell my beloved)

Yes saw this also, lots more ladies out. We were all blokes in our group though.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The Power of Porridge

After conking out on a hilly loop Wednesday did the same in reverse (51 miles, 5,500ft climbing) went out this morning full of porridge and had a great ride. Almost no wind, even at 1,700ft atop Holme Moss
Loads of folk out including a couple with full panniers going up 25% hills on Strines. Very impressed although somewhat crazy.

Went out on a nice easy flattish ride rather later than usual as dr_pink is suffering from a head cold, the day brightened up considerably when we saw our first lambs of the season.
2013027_zps4060ef90.jpg

2013026_zps65d9e259.jpg

17 miles today from Kilnhurst to the start of the Dove Valley Trail at Wombwell. Was going to double back and arc round Mexborough and Denaby but the puncture fairy paid a visit and ended up having to fit a spare tube at Wombwell and go home early.
Lots of cyclists passed by and asked if I had the kit for the fix - Many thanks to them :thumbsup:
Even managed my good deed for the day when a lady asked if I had an allen key to fix the bars on her daughter's bike as they passed.

Mixed feelings about the TPT being tarmaced though. I used to like the gravel n puddles :smile:. All we seem to have created now is somewhere for the kids to smash bottles and spray paint large penises (Manvers).
And of course the treatment of the gravel paths by the lake at Manvers by Taylor Wimpey isn't endearing - Narrow as hell, very high wooden edges, and old wooden edging left across the paths at angles. It isn't part of the TPT but it's a sorry mess to look at.

2bluegp

another 25 miler today. still cold, windy, & for the second time this week my strava app turned itself off after 2 miles.
gonna bin it out & get a garmin methinks...

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
No sunshine here. *grump*

Did 51 miles over Exmoor. Was starting to struggle by the time I got to the half-way point but as soon as I got back onto home turf, my legs made a miraculous recovery and the final 15 miles were a lot easier than the 15 or so before. I did get a few photos but I'll have a look at them tomorrow.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Up to a couple of years ago, I used to regularly see a barn owl hunting over the fields on one part of my route, near Worlingworth. On one occasion, it perched on a telegraph pole support wire by the side of the road, so I stopped and we had a stare-out, which ended about a millisecond before I snapped empty space with my phone.After that, nothing - I assumed it was dead or had moved to new territory.

Today, it or a successor was back right in front of me at the same spot - flying along a few metres above the centre of the road with me matching it in hot pursuit for about 200m. They are really a glorious sight when flying low. The seemingly effortless flight is also deceptively fast, as I found out.

No sunshine here. *grump*

Did 51 miles over Exmoor. Was starting to struggle by the time I got to the half-way point but as soon as I got back onto home turf, my legs made a miraculous recovery and the final 15 miles were a lot easier than the 15 or so before. I did get a few photos but I'll have a look at them tomorrow.
That is impressive! [for those that don't know the area].

Lee_M

Guru
went out for my first ever ride with aq club - Lea Valley,

very friendly, day only spoilt by getting a puncture then having problems with the co2 cartridges - oh then couldnt find the rest of them when I'd fixed it.

tiny bloody hole as well - swapped to another tube on the road, but took me ages to fiond the thing when I got homeStill managed 35 miles tho so not too bad

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
That is impressive! [for those that don't know the area].
And I didn't even pay him to say that :laugh:

I had to go into town this morning and after yesterday's pain-fest, not forgetting the 90ish miles from the two days before that, my legs were not at all impressed, even less so when I presented them with two panniers of groceries to bring home. All's good though - I've just scraped over 1000 miles for the year thus far. :wahhey:

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself for yesterday's explorations of Exmoor. 50 miles with just under 4000 feet of climbing, though I did walk some of it - the climb up from Elworthy crossroads, for example. If you don't know it, last time I was there I did it the easy way and hit 42mph coming down!

Looking back down at the crossroads - a good excuse for a break with a long way still to go before the top!
Elworthy Crossroads 3mar13 (800x441).jpg

I revived myself with some tea (I love my flask) and once recovered, continued up to Wheddon Cross, one of the highest villages on Exmoor, and then down the main road to Exebridge. I thought that section would be easier than it turned out to be, but the road was very different to what I was expecting. For starters, there's lots of ups considering you're supposed to be going down, and the surface was so badly damaged from all the rain and floods that it was like cycling over cobbles, so I had to put in far more effort than should have been necessary.

As a result, I was absolutely pooped by the time I turned off at Exebridge for home and really struggled with the hills, the fading light doing nothing to help with my self-esteem and confidence. But with no option other than to struggle on, I eventually made it back onto flatter terrain, and then finally onto home turf, where my legs made a miraculous recovery and I even decided against taking a shortcut home, opting to do the full fifty miles as originally planned! :rolleyes:

I'll definitely be heading up there again ... once my legs recover!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom