Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well, a first for me was a mate's stag do by mountainbike. We met at a cafe for a big boys' breakfast, then discovered the pub next door was shut. Climbed a geet big hill into Almondburyband found all the pubs there were shut too. A quick tootle to Farnley Tyas along the old Farnley Line worked up just enough of a thirst to enjoy a couple of pints at the Golden Cock. The sun was out now so off came the legwarmers, and a jaunt to the Rose and Crown at Thurstonland. Two more pints and a consensus that we should nip into Stocksmoor to the Clothiers. We jousted with a muck spreader for a mile or so, but got to the Clothiers before any serious dehydration set in, and replaced essential fluids and minerals there.

By now we needed to ride a bit further, and the Woodman at Thunderbridge was beckoning. The beer garden by the river was an absolute sun trap, and the people from the wedding party provided a good foil to our scruffy MTBer gaggle. Troy and Jamie told us there was some awesome singletrack inthe woods above the pub, so they persuaded us to go and ride it with them. One gap jump, some big step downs and some muddy rooty stuff was a good test for some of us. Tricky with seven pints on board I decided to miss the jump out.

The steep mudslide down onto the road was a good little test of balance, and I was glad I'd decided to put the flatties on the bike. Mark then remembered a bit of cheeky singletrack that took us along the banking above the stream. Only one of us got lost and was shouted at by the mad donkey woman who hates mtbers.

Next stop the chippy next to the Spring, which meant one of each washed down with a bit of beer. The girls inthe chippy felt sorry for Jamie who by this time had skinned a knee popping his Alpine 160 off a little kerb. White Swan at highburton was next, and we stayed there long enough for a couple more. A quick tootle along the main road found us at the Star at Fenay Bridge, and I decided to pace myself. Just a single pint there before we made our way back tothe start to the Waterloo which had finally opened. Another quickie there before heading down through the industrial estate to the Beaumont Arms at Lascelles Hall. I called it quits there, as Mrs Cube offered to come and fetch me and the bike. Mark the stag's computer told us we'd done 13 miles, and my calculations make that one pint per mile.

My legs are covered in pedal rash from the pinned pedals, and my bald head is sunburnt. :biggrin:

deadpool7

Just 5 miles today. Legs were fatigued from a 4 mile hike yesterday.

Black Country Ste

I had a trip down to Hockley Heath in mind yesterday morning but my mate couldn't make it and I overslept anyway. It looked like I wasn't going to get out on the bike but just to keep up my 30 Days of Biking, forced myself out for a 14-mile round trip to the grandparents instead for a quick cup of tea.

Saw someone giving it the guns up the Bristol Road on a fixie and it was the first day of the year I've been able to wear fingerless gloves. I've missed them!

albion

Guru
Maybe my 1st venture this winter down over to Stanhope.

Easy to see why considering the snow at the side of the road is still 6' deep near the top of Crawleyside bank.
A 75 mile run that did not feel easy.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
62 miles and 6000ft climbing. Glossop-Whaley Bridge-Goyt Valley-Gun Hill-Macc-Whaley Bridge-Glossop. Light southerly, 13.5mph avg. Loads of folk out

The idea was to do this route as I had heard that Holme Moss was closed again (snow cornice had melted and collapsed across the road). Then had to carry the bike about 800m around Goyt Valley as roads still full of snow there too.

Rather pleasant Cheese and Onion Staffordshire Oatcakes at Tittesworth Reservoir visitor centre, albeit a bit pricey.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After my bout of being poked and prodded I took the opportunity to get out for the first ride in a couple of weeks yesterday. I took the Raleigh (its first proper outing of the season) and headed into town.

There was :sun: and it wasn't as cold as of late but I soon discovered that riding was rather on the uncomfortable side. I should have turned back but was stubborn and carried on - a big mistake as I feel rather bruised internally today.:B)

The plus side is that I like the new Brooks saddle and think the adjustment is somewhere near right now. I look forward to being able to try it on some longer rides when I've recovered.

The ride was 8.93 miles at 11.5 mph (not bad considering).

DSC01364.JPG

Daytrippers enjoying the river aboard Sabrina.

john59

Guru
Since I’m of work today I took a ride from the Wirral over to Bwlch Penbarras in the Clwyd hills.

Still some snow around.
Snow.jpg

I was glad of the bridge!
Bridge.jpg

Bwlch Penbarras.
Bwlch-Pen-Barras.jpg

A ride of 95 km and and 902 metres of climbing. It was quite breezy on the way back with a 25 km/h easterly wind.

John

edwardd67

Out yesterday with my wife, 69 miles in 4 hours average speed 17.3 mph . Etap Caledonia training . Down the Clyde coast to Largs and back.
34 miles to Largs 1 hour 40 mins ---- 2 hours 20 mins on the way home into a headwind but loved every minute of it.

theloafer

Legendary Member
^_^.. well after my eye op on 6th march and was banned from lifting bending and cycling.i was finally told i could do some light exercise so out came the boardman cx did 18 miles ^_^ dont feel that bad knee,s poss a little stiff..:laugh: took a few pics bloody hands got very cold ...not like llast sat mix of trail and road not fast but felt bloody great to be on the bike again:thumbsup:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/295637290

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 39

gavgav

Guru
After my bout of being poked and prodded I took the opportunity to get out for the first ride in a couple of weeks yesterday. I took the Raleigh (its first proper outing of the season) and headed into town.

There was :sun: and it wasn't as cold as of late but I soon discovered that riding was rather on the uncomfortable side. I should have turned back but was stubborn and carried on - a big mistake as I feel rather bruised internally today.:B)

You should be resting up!!! :headshake:

Venod

Eh up
Today's ride, road, towpath, road, TPT , canal, road, public footpath ! towpath, road, that Easterly wind was fairly brisk today, it was good to get it on my back for the journey home, I went over the biggest hill within 5 mile of Selby ( it doesn't take much to be a big hill around there ) I passed Kellingley Colliery one of only 2 pits left in Yorkshire, prior to the miners strike in 1984 there were 56 ! ( thought I'd keep it topical with the death of Maggie)

http://www.bikemap.net/route/205045...g=-1.2489576513671&zoom=13&maptype=ts_terrain

Today's ride was one of those unplanned "mother calls". My mum rang me - my step father's hip replacement many weeks ago did not go smoothly and yesterday his wound burst open and today he was taken into theatre for the 3rd time... she needed company and distracting...

so I planned a slightly different route to normal - the dry weather means I can take my road bike onto the local hardcore converted railway and cut some hills and corners off the route. So with that in mind I rigged a new route to include 2 other converted railway lines... and set out in the sunshine and into a seriously gusty, and nasty headwind (I know I had already been told to WTFU and it is character building. I have enough character, I don't need anymore yet, I'm only 40). So despite the wind I enjoyed the ride out and was helped considerably by some workmen who waved me through a road closed sign (useful because I was on a nasty section of A road between Middlewich & Crewe at the time and do a last right, first left dog leg and can't avoid it)... http://app.strava.com/activities/48013601

Whilst I was at my mum's, my youngest brother rang and is coming over on Thursday and somehow I am now repeating the ride on Thursday as well...

Coming home was more leisurely, but I was conscious of the fact that I needed to miss rush hour on that nasty section of road, and the fact that my body does not miss meals particularly well and it had already tolerated lunch 90 mins later than usual today. Going home was slighly easier but that stiff headwind this morning, that should have made for a fantastic tailwind had subsided (:dry:) and instead I still had a headwind, but at least it was motion generated rather than something racing off the Pennies and stopping me dead in my tracks. http://app.strava.com/activities/48013604

Along the way I have seen numerous signs that Spring has sprung even if we are not convinced. I have seen my first lesser celandines & wood anemones. Dog violet is most deifnitely budding up and there is a huge patch of wild garlic (ransoms) coming up at the bottom end of the local converted railway. Not as many dog walkers out in force today but plenty of horses & riders all of whom were great - word is out that a roadie is on the local trail and can't go over into the soft debries - helps I ride an mtb normally on the trail and that my landlady is one of the local stable owners, so they all see me a lot... 40 miles in total, a reasonable average given the headwind & 2 panniers. To be repeated on Thursday - but if it has rained by then I may change to the mtb and try a completely off road route to my mothers... that should be a serious challenge just to plan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom