Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Headed out for a 100k ride, despite the nasty weather. 33 miles in, I was going well and contemplating a cafe stop, and then BANG, a rear puncture. Pulled over to change the tube, only to discover I'd actually ripped the tyre itself. It was unrideable, so I spent a freezing cold hour in a lay-by waiting for my wife.

I'm thinking of taking up running instead.

Just back from a ride with Billy1561 who came over to Delamere to ride with me this afternoon, so I prompty took him back his way on roads he had not ridden before. It was a nice enjoyable ride and great to be out with someone else for a change even if he did test my balance skills to their very limit at one point. :whistle: Both of us being used to being the slowest/slower riders in a group have the same responses and sometimes it helps if they are not the same. Despite the threatening clouds and some gusty winds at times, we stayed dry for the 'joint' stretch of the ride (33.5miles) and I managed a respectable (for me) moving average of 13.5mph (has been a long week this week with 135miles covered already and more still to come). I have also worked out why some of those hills are so hard. My grannie gear is nowhere near what Billy1561 has! Billy1561 hope you got home without being rained on and it was great to be out with you. The only surprise for me was where the blood on my leg came from? Never felt it, but my left sock is covered! Hope to do it again in the near future. Thank you.
http://app.strava.com/activities/48439747

Edit: and for the 2nd time this year, the 3/4 lengths knickers came out without leg warmers. Billly1561 was a touch braver - in shorts!:eek:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I didn't photo the kissing gates, because it was starting to rain and I could not be bothered. But they are of such a size that the front wheel needs to be at 90 degrees to your bike to be able to get the bike in & passed the gate. The 2nd one will only just fit a 15.5" mountain bike frame with the front wheel at 90 degrees..

Kissing gates are horrible. Have you tried wheeling the bike through on its back wheel (ie lifting the handlebars so the front wheel's at head height)? I have come to using this method for the tighter ones hereabouts, though it's still a real pain, especially with panniers.

Kissing gates are horrible. Have you tried wheeling the bike through on its back wheel (ie lifting the handlebars so the front wheel's at head height)? I have come to using this method for the tighter ones hereabouts, though it's still a real pain, especially with panniers.
Later on, I had no option but to put the bike on to the rear wheel with panniers off, but thankfully these 2 are just big enough for my bike, not for my husbands though! Lousy route for a national cycle route and one of the major ones, route 5!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Trusty old 80s MtB (for me) ride out with the kids today, they were both islabiking (fairly new bikes, 1 came 2nd hand from Mr Paul* and the other new last year) - fab!

Sheesh...

*one of his kids I guess, not him personally.

Today's outing was my first in four weeks having had a series of colds and coughs that were difficult to shake off. Twenty two miles from Ribblehead station to Hawes and back. I took two colleagues with me and we all suffered with the head wind, sleet and cold. I shared several pies with them. I struggled a bit with a set of lungs not used to working hard. We finished the ride at the Station Inn with beer and one of their pork and chili pickle pies. Got to get some more miles in to regain fitness.

3u4y2ety.jpg

The road to Hawes

saru9uve.jpg

Ian and Paul savour pies in Hawes

huzu4u9y.jpg

Ribblehead Viaduct

e6arujep.jpg

The last of the snow in the hills

asynuse9.jpg

Pork and chilli pickle pie.
Oh man you forgot to take a pic of your pint!!!:cheers:

After my efforts in the headwind on Tuesday i got out for a while tonight and knocked out 10 mile on my trusty steed. Kept bumping into folk i knew who wanted to stand and blether so difficult to get much momentum.Still 10 mile better than Eastenders or Corrie and on the plus side my sore bits seem to be ok and i (touch wood) have no ill effects.Still bloody cold up here. Time it was warming up a bit. All the best Mike.

matthat

Über Member

matthat

Über Member
Got an early dart from work!! Woo Hoo!! What better to do on a nice sunny a'noon than get home and changed swap bikes and off out for a ride!! Did a respectable 15miles in 1hr on the dot mainly flat but a nice ride at that!!
<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/activities/48428968/embed/24a9b360751968f674d0615d3708629213db3f86'></iframe>
Could someone let me know if my strava links work please!! I followed instructions on strava, but i just get a google oops link when i click on the above link!! Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom