Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Am amazed you held out this long :giggle:
So am I :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Right then...Weekend #11 of my personal challenge...A kent loop with @Trickedem of this parish.
Started off as a little cold as I met TD at 6.45am. But hey I shouldn't complain as TD had already been up since 3.45am and cycled 30 miles before meeting me. I was in bibs and sstop/vest combo...so was a little chilly on the arms. But knew as the day went on, with the cycling I wouldn't be cold..and so it was to be.

West Malling
2013-06-09 08.18.28S.jpg

Harrietsham Almes Houses. Built in 1770 by London Fishmonger chaps...
2013-06-09 09.52.51S.jpg

TimD on one OF them leg and lung buster hill thingys...
2013-06-09 10.00.45S.jpg

Well 52 miles in for me..and 80+ for Tim.. it was my second brekkie of the day and Tim's 3rd.
Hmm decisions..
IMG_20130609_112051S.jpg

Egg and Bacon sarnies it was.. ok 2 of 'em.. and a nice mug of brew
2013-06-09 11.04.32S.jpg

Yup.. 2 of 'em. There was to be even more climbing after brunch..so needed to fuel up...and goddam they were good. And all for the princely sum of seven squids.

I left Tim at the 80 mile mark as he had to head north to home whilst I had to head west. Fortunately less climbing for these miles as the old legs were starting to feel the strain.

In Farningham I passed the memorial to the WW2 Spitfire pilot who crashed and died at the spot. He was 20 years old. He answered the call from King and Country and traveled from NZ to sign up. A young kid travelling halfway round the world to fight a war & enemy he probably knew very little about until he got here. He was awarded a posthumous MBE. 20 Years of age! How humbling and sad at the same time.

2013-06-09 14.44.38S.jpg

The obligatory Rape Seed pic with the 11th Century Eynsford Castle ruins in the background.
2013-06-09 14.47.51S.jpg

So.. 103 climby (a good few bloomin' leg and lung busters) miles for me today and even more for Tim....
The 11th Weekend, the 11th Century in a row....I will have to try keep this going.

Kent8.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just a short ride using the knockabout bike today. I took Doug (my brother) out with me and it was intended to be his first big ride of the year, but it didn't quite go to plan.

The route was into town, through The Quarry, out to Uffington, Upton Magna and Atcham, then back via Condover.

I should have realised something was up from early on as Doug was constantly dropping behind. We got as far as The Quarry before he said he'd like to turn back as his legs were aching and his stomach churning. The two of us and @gavgav had a few drinkies last night :cheers:and Doug had slightly more than I did.:whistle: He suggested that I carry on with the ride, which I did with a slightly guilty feeling.

The Quarry was packed today as two events were going on. The Shrewsbury River Festival and a gathering of Lanchester, Daimler and Jaguar cars. Once out of the park there were still plenty of people about enjoying the :sun: and many of them were on their bikes, which was very nice to see.:thumbsup:

The rest of the ride was very pleasant and it was just nice to be out enjoying the weather.

Just under 20 miles covered today at a reasonable 11.5mph average.

DSC01523.JPG

Crowds flocking in for the river festival.

DSC01526.JPG

A veteran Daimler

DSC01530.JPG

Drinks in the sun at the Mytton & Mermaid.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Both rides this weekend were along rivers/canals and even better than that, since I've not been sleeping very well, both were pootles rather than hillfests.

On Saturday, the ladies (and me :tongue:) from my cycle group loaded our bikes onto the trailer and drove down to Topsham for a ride around the Exe Estuary and some of the surrounding countryside, stopping for lunch at Powderham Castle just outside Exeter. Delicious food. :hungry:

We made our way out of Topsham and onto NCN2 along the canal:
IMG_9053 (800x450).jpg

After a brief stop for coffee and cake in Exeter, we left the cycle route behind and explored some of the lanes:
IMG_9067 (800x451).jpg

After a couple of hills, we felt that we'd earned ourselves not just lunch but an ice cream and happily settled down on the grass outside the restaurant and farmshop at Powderham Castle:
IMG_9088 (800x450).jpg

We weren't the only ones working hard (!!) for our grub:
IMG_9091 (800x533).jpg

The return journey along the estuary:
IMG_9119 (800x420).jpg

IMG_9132 (800x447).jpg

!!!!
IMG_9159 (800x533).jpg

Today (Sunday) was a meander along the Taunton-Bridgwater Canal to the tea room at Maunsel Lock with the local Breeze group, run by a friend and I (ok, mainly my friend).

IMG_9167 (800x450).jpg

IMG_9174 (800x450).jpg

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Thirty two miles on my Chimera. Pedalled to the Leeds Liverpool canal at Kirkstall, turned right and pedalled to Bingley Five Rise Locks and back home via Rodley, Apperley Bridge, Shipley and Saltaire. I was hissed at by some agitated Canadian geese who were protecting their goslings. Saw a strange barge. I was surprised by some tow path warriors who were cycling far too fast and selfishly through the busy stretches.

mavyvu2e.jpg

Milestone near Kirkstall.
6aga4uza.jpg

A very odd looking barge though not as odd as the one that looked like a submarine that I saw a couple of years ago.

u4a2yjyn.jpg

Salt Mills. Built by Titus Salt whose model viallage Saltaire is a world heritage site.

mudabyta.jpg

Damart's chimney painted up as an advert. Thermal underwear made here.

5yvy2e7u.jpg

Bingley five rise locks. It's only taken me thirty six years to get around to visiting them.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Both rides this weekend were along rivers/canals and even better than that, since I've not been sleeping very well, both were pootles rather than hillfests.

On Saturday, the ladies (and me :tongue:) from my cycle group loaded our bikes onto the trailer and drove down to Topsham for a ride around the Exe Estuary and some of the surrounding countryside, stopping for lunch at Powderham Castle just outside Exeter. Delicious food. :hungry:

We made our way out of Topsham and onto NCN2 along the canal:
View attachment 24477

After a brief stop for coffee and cake in Exeter, we left the cycle route behind and explored some of the lanes:
View attachment 24478

After a couple of hills, we felt that we'd earned ourselves not just lunch but an ice cream and happily settled down on the grass outside the restaurant and farmshop at Powderham Castle:
View attachment 24479

We weren't the only ones working hard (!!) for our grub:
View attachment 24480

The return journey along the estuary:
View attachment 24481

View attachment 24482

!!!!
View attachment 24483

Today (Sunday) was a meander along the Taunton-Bridgwater Canal to the tea room at Maunsel Lock with the local Breeze group, run by a friend and I (ok, mainly my friend).

View attachment 24484

View attachment 24485
Lovely part of the country, and some really nice pics.

flatflr

Guru
This was yesterdays ride, but first chance to update. Road ride with a friend from his place near Faringdon, west to Shrivenham then south east over the Ridgway through Lambourn, missed the turning so carried on to Great Shefford then 7 miles up hill to the Ridgway then down almost to Wantage then west past the White Horse and through Uffington. At this point I realised the ride would be about 36 miles so convinced my mate that we should add a little loop to up it to a nice round 40 miles. Followed that with a great meal and some wine, great day:smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
We got soooo lost: set of for point B of this map, ended up in point A
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Dumbarton&daddr=New Lanark Rd, Lanark&hl=en&sll=55.663995,-3.7814&sspn=0.00656,0.021136&geocode=FUeoVQMdtlm6_yk5hH0qVk2ISDFi3mblsjAbfw;FV1dUQMd6EzG_ylx6jHnWQ6ISDFTL-7SRs0eFg&oq=Dumba&t=h&mra=ls&z=10
Don't know if the map link is gonna work, here are a couple of pictures to give you an idea of our state :laugh:
Full report will have to wait until tomorrow: 55 miles all in.
View attachment 24543

View attachment 24543

View attachment 24544
As getting lost goes, that looks fairly epic.:ohmy: I look forward to the full report.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom