Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Today's ride. My Strava died so I had to steal the route of a mate.

ride.png

37 miles with one Cat 4 hill plus several more that tested the legs. One of the chaps broke his Derailleur so we converted him to Single Speed for the last 5 miles.
Same weather as you, John! Grey & windy. Not too chilly though.

Never mind... Cake was eaten and tea was drunk. :smile:

gam001

Über Member
Nice pics potsy :thumbsup:
(Get that left knee in towards the top tube ^_^)
What wheels are they (struggling to see name in pic)?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've been continuing my 'nurture a new cyclist campaign'! My friend wanted to cycle to the shops in Todmorden today so we headed out on the Rochdale canal towpath.

We did our shopping, had lunch and she suggested that we come back on the A646. I didn't fancy the whole way in traffic so I proposed a nicer rural alternative to the first part of the return ride, via Lumbutts and Mankinholes. She was worried about the steepness of the road but I said that she had lots of low gears on her bike, and it didn't matter how slowly she rode, or if she wanted to get off and rest or walk. In the end she decided to give it a go.

Well, she made it up the hill without stopping!

There is a fast descent to Lumbutts which I like, so I bombed down that and then climbed back out of the dip and round to Mankinholes. I turned to see how my friend was doing and she seemed to be off the bike and doing something strange at the side of the road. (None of the things you are imagining! :whistle:) Eventually, she caught up and told me that she had found a dormouse on the road so she had picked it up, stroked it a few times (probably causing it to die of fright!) and then placed it in the long grass by the dry stone wall ...

new_cyclist_Lumbutts_Mankinholes_road.jpg

I was trying to revive a rather knackered-looking sheep when the next picture was taken!

stone_sheep_mankinholes.jpg

I was just looking at the photo and realised that it shows the residual swelling in my left leg, the Post Thrombotic Syndrome from last year's DVT. I've blown up part of the picture to make it more obvious ...

post_thrombotic_syndrome_left_calf.jpg

It's not as bad as it was, but it is still very obvious when you get a good look at it.

My pal was pretty chuffed when she got home and is already planning the next ride ... (In fact, she was on the phone to her sister when I left, trying to persuade her to start coming out as well!)

I did a very wet 20 miles this evening. It wasn't raining when I left home but after a mile it started. I usually don't go out much in heavy rain so I discovered 2 things. Firstly my coat does actually keep me dry and secondly I never realised just how wet your feet can get. My socks were wringing and I could pour water out of my shoes when I got home.
The good thing was at least it wasn't cold.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I met this on my way from work on the cycle path today. It was very friendly and looked like it had got out of a pen with all kinds of animals in further up the path after my turn off. Fortunately I could see a girl looking for it as it was in a bit of a rough area and maybe would of ended up as bacon or sausages or something.
20130611_180625_zps16634135.jpg

20130611_180629_zps3b3893d1.jpg

20130611_180633_zpsc372007e.jpg

Must be a pig of a route!! :whistle:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
With the rest of the week off, I headed off back to north Norfolk yesterday for a few days. A nice 40 odd mile pootle. First out across the fen to Ely, then a short train ride to kings Lynn then the last 25 miles to the Wells area.

Lovely tailwind all the way, I would have ridden the whole route, but the bit between Ely and Lynn is pretty charmless, treeless and non descript.

Madness always seems to set in for me after a few hours in the saddle, and I realised this near Houghton Hall when I told a hare to go and get his nails cut as he clattered noisily down the lane in front of me!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
37.85 miles this morning at stupid past feckin idiot o-clock with the wife, up two feckin great big hills that were about eleventy billion miles long on a bloody blumen windy cold day, every which way we turned a hurricane was blowing in our faces. Didn't see one single other cyclist, not even the old fart on the BSO going to work. Not feckin surprised.

Fun though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom