Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
57 miles today. Plan was to go to Kinross one road and home the other road. Turned into around loch leven and climbing Cleish 2 months later than I should have done with the cc eccose ride. Distance isn't proving an issue any more, just seeing no real increase in speed.16 miles off 500 miles this ( my first) year, so can see me being back out tomorrow to knock that one off.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A 15 mile circuit here today to Wells-Next-The Sea (my favourite place in the world, my second being of course the rest of Norfolk) via Burnham Thorpe and Holkham.

Bright if not that sunny, but warm enough with quite a strong wind to make it a battle on the way back. good to see the house martin colony on the facade of Holkham Hall in full swing again this year after a slow start- there must be 50 nests there.

Also saw a red kite- a Norfolk first for me, just a few hundred yards from the hall. Wells was brilliant as ever, and not that busy. On the way back, I stopped for lunch with an old pal. This is the Earl of Leicester, a wonderful sculpture of him overlooking his home.
image.jpg

And it's quite a home. Holkham is superb, especially for those of us lucky enough to come by bicycle (most of it is closed to cars)
image.jpg

Then onwards back towards home against a serious headwind. This is the route south from Holkham heading towards Fakenham. This is definitely my favourite part of the world. [/ATTACH]
image.jpg

A bustling Wells harbour with A nice collection of boats moored there including the Dutch clipper ship Albatross, (tallest mast in pic) aboard which you can enjoy a pint of Norfolk Wherry and a Dutch pancake. You can't really ask for more from life than that!
image.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Ha ha...yes ...I was told it wasn't in wales by the lesbian couple on the hostel..thought the sheep looked less nervous;)

Geography never my strong point lol!
I think you actually left Wales shortly before you got to Howton :whistle:(apart from crossing the border briefly at Presteigne). :laugh:

62 miles into Chester today in the rain...
Have read the report - another good write up.:thumbsup: Shame the weather wasn't great for you.:rain:

Edwards80

Über Member
Rode out to Goostrey to Marshall a team time trial. Was a bit dubious about riding back via the lanes later on at night.

Shouldn't have worried. It was ace. Lovely 20 mile quick run home, barely any traffic, perfect temperature. Jodrell bank looks even more imposing at night :biggrin:

My front light caused high collision rates with kamikaze moths however, one of which I swallowed. Delicious.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Just back from a couple of days in one of my favourite parts of the British Isles: Perthshire. Myself and a cycling buddie went for 2 nights and based ourselves in Aberfeldy. Day 1 was a reasonably flat route from Aberfeldy to Kenmore and Pitlochry, back to Aberfeldy. About 45 miles and the only incident of note was when my front tyre popped off the rim and the tube burst in spectacular fashion. Very strange as the tyre has not been off for any reason since it was first fitted, about 400 miles ago. Saw this interesting place, which has found its ideal twin town!
t7w.jpg

Day 2 was a bit more energetic after a night following our strict training regime This means a few pre-dinner beers followed by a curry, then a few more pints and games of darts/pool at a local pub. Closing time was the cue for an early night :whistle: . Set off about 10 am and headed once again towards Kenmore but this time cut off for Glen Lyon. At Bridge of Balgie we turned left to head over what is (for me) a big climb (1135 feet in 4.5 miles according to BikeRouteToaster) to the west of Ben Lawers, and back down a magnificent descent towards Killin. Lunch at Killin, and then the rollercoaster road along the south of Loch Tay, back to Kennmore. 60 miles done, and a good proportion of it were hard miles into the wind and up hills!

Me; somewhere near Ben Lawers and looking as if I am regretting last nights beer and curry session!
95cf.jpg

The RAF were out to play over Loch Tay:

pd0c.jpg

The falls of Dochart at Killin:

7iaw.jpg

Brandane takes a bike ride and gets caught out in blue skies shocker!

mniq.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
About 39 miles today in quite strong winds but NO rain!
Strange ride really.. 8 over to a friends place to pop out for a 22 mile circuit then put the bike in the back of his car so he could drop me off at home to change bike to the Tesco Flyer as I had to be in town before the banks closed. (and I won't park the Road bike there). 9 miles from where he dropped me, into town and back along the Washlands to home.
Still, keeps the legs spinning :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom