Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A mate and I plus his 17 yr old son went to Cannock Chase for a blast round Follow the Dog. We didn't do the Monkey Trail (the longer more technical route) as the poor boy is not as fit as his Dad and needs training up quite a bit for longer and more strenuous rides :smile:

View attachment 26788

For anyone that doesn't know these trails, search for 'Follow the Dog' or 'Monkey Trail' and lots of Youtube vids show what they're like!
Surprisingly, for school hols, it was really quiet! No fearless 14 yr old kids showing us up.. lol

The shorter trail is only 7 miles, and the longer one is 13, but there is no flat riding. It's either UP or DOWN, and in my mind, if you down do the UP, you don't deserve the pleasure of the descents!!

The scenery is great, when you get the chance to look..

View attachment 26789

and there's quite a few jumps and drop-offs, but most have a chicken run if you don't want to launch yourself off them.

One drop I've not conquered before is the Werewolf Drop. Always chickened out for some reason, but not they've cleared a bit of scrub and re-modelled it a bit, it's not to bad if you take centre line (not that you have many options, as the trees are quite close together) and remember to turn sharp right as soon as you land!
View attachment 26790

View attachment 26791

View attachment 26793

There are several Boardwalks across the more swampy bits with pinch points and steps to keep you focused.

View attachment 26796

For some reason or another, I rode of the side of one of these once, and believe me... It can get muddy! lol

At the end of the trail, there's the Stone Rollers. They used to be hard pack dirt but a while ago they replaced them with flattish rocks. I actually preferred the dirt track, but, hey, it's their ride so they can do what they think is good :smile:
Mate's lad really enjoyed it even though he was knackered by the end but he reckoned that the macho pics of him 'on the trail' will impress his new girlfriend and earn him some Rambo points. :boxing:

As it's a Forest Centre, there's a café, and if you have kids and a Mr or Mrs who doesn't want to ride the trails, there's a Go Ape area for the kids to swing through trees and zip wires while Mum or Dad can take off on the bike :becool:

The Swinnerton Cycle shop is on site as well for local expertise and running repairs. They also have a bike wash for a quid if you need it. (Bike Hire as well, but they can run out of them in peak times)

BTW, Best not to go at weekends unless you have to as it can get darn busy...

Cor! That looks ACE.

G3CWI

Veteran
I read somewhere that having a ride for an hour or so before breakfast burns off fat

Must be true - it was in the Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...E-breakfast--youll-burn-20-cent-body-fat.html Or not http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/10Octob...ore-breakfast-leads-to-extra-weight-loss.aspx

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Morning ride, from home into Central Bristol before the crowds arrived for the Harbour Festival.
Then the staggered climb up to Clifton Suspension Bridge & along Beggar Bush Lane to Failand, before the excellent descent down to Portbury ( the smell of wild garlic was wonderful ).
Over the M5 motorway bridge & onto Portishead for a Full English at the Lido cafe ( a bit pricey, but very nice with an Americano you could stand your spoon up in !!! )
Shorter journey home along the undulating A369 and back thru St.Pauls & Stapleton. Details below ^_^

http://app.strava.com/activities/70119601

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Went for a bit of a tempo ride today around the Cheshire Lanes. Out towards Macc over to Congleton onto Holmes Chapel then up the A50 to Knutsford then back past Tatton Park, Ashley and Mobberley to Wilmslow. 41 miles at an average of 20.5mph. Should have been fairly straightforward...........First came across a few floods and some really sketchy surfaces where crap had been washed onto the road from the torrential rain last night. Then had a very close pass on the road between Congleton and Holmes Chapel. I saw a large group of riders on the A50 as they got closer saw they were Seamons guys, the best bit was that only three of them were adults at least 10 of them were no more than 12 or 14 years old, good to see youngsters out:becool: . Got to Knutsford and the sky opened. Not just a light shower, but a proper thunder storm downpour:rain: . I have come to the conclusion over the years that in the summer the best thing to do in these circumstances is to keep riding and you will dry off reasonably as soon as the rain stops rather than looking for shelter or putting on a boil in the bag top.
So the rain eased and as I came past Tatton Park a few cars were waiting to turn right into the main entrance, as I filtered to go straight on one of the cars decided it wasn't going to turn right and turned left indicating at the same time as making the manouveur. I had no where to go and braced for the impact while shouting "noooooooo":eek: Somewhat suprisingly given the wet road the Swissstops bit and I performed an endo, unclipping while the front of the bike went through my legs. I found myself standing in the middle of the road as I turned around the bike landed a few feet behind me. The young girl driving the car seemed completely oblivious to the fact she had nearly taken me out. I suggested, possibly a little crudely, that an apology would be in order. She looked back at me blankly:angry: . I couldnt be bothered with a full on confrontation so put the chain back on and rode home.

kipster

Guru
First ever 100km ride today, actually 110km including the ride over to the start. I thought I had done enough time on the bike, but it was tough. The hardest part was getting going again after a puncture. There was a definite breeze about pushing me back, at 65km I wondered if I was going to make it, but something clicked in my head and the last 35 wasn't too bad.

Not too much climbing (just shy of 800 meters), but it all seemed to be after the half way point.

I had started thinking that I was up to a speed that would safely see me join a club, but at an average of 16.5mph I think I still have a bit of work to do.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Planned an 18 ish mile ride but cut it short due to the weather.:rain: I headed out into a 19 mph headwind which slowed progress a bit, then had my closest pass for a while courtesy of a car on Belgian number plates.:angry:

I got as far as Cantlop before noticing the curtains of rain sweeping their way across the hills to the south. Continuing to fight against the headwind and getting wet didn't appeal so I turned back. Unfortunately the rain was travelling faster than me so I did get a wee bit damp.

Naturally the rain stopped the moment I reached home.:dry:

Just 10.5 miles at 13.2 average.

DSC01729.JPG

Cantlop Bridge which apparently is the last surviving example of a Thomas Telford cast iron bridge left in Shropshire.

DSC01731.JPG

Looking back towards the Stretton hills, which are veiled behind the next lot of rain.

D

Deleted member 1258

76 miles today, out to the Chicken Shack at Honeybourne, out through Loxley, Alderminster and Crimcote, was pleased to get the fixed over Loxley hill, the ride out was done into a stiff breeze which was making me work harder than I wanted, joined up with the club ride for the first part of the ride home, lost them on the climb to Wimcote, tiring legs wouldn't push a 68 inch fixed gear up the short sharp climb and I had to walk, it was the only hill I walked. By the time I got to Balsall Common I was running out of legs and water, I had run out of both by the time I got to the bottom of Four Pounds Ave in Coventry, I could see the drinkers in the pub with cold wet Glasses in their hands.:sad:but it didn't matter as I was almost home, good ride but hard and I'm knackered now but I enjoyed it.^_^

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
My rides have been getting shorter so I Thought I would make the effort and get a 60 in , so off round Harrogate and Harewood. It started raining at about 35 mile in so I put on My waterproof and carry on. Not long after I started to get a bit of hunger knock so
off to Lawnswood for a carton or two of ribena and macvities ginger cake. (cornflakes aren't enough in the morning it seems) loads of cyclists round there. On to the ring road for home and at 47 mile a puncture 5 minutes to put the tub on but it seems Lost my pump when getting my waterproof out. Phone home for the track pump as no more cyclists by the time help arrives i am wet through and a bit peeved so a nice warm car and home. Now sat here cursing myself for wimping out when a good 60 was within my grasp. Cheers anyway to the offer of assistance just as my car turned up. corrections made due to sausage fingers on My phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom