Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
108 miles today to Southport and back on the TPT with @400bhp and @I like Skol
The deluge last night had left the trail a little on the wet side, enjoyable, eventful ride, some pics to give you a flavour of it.

First off inspecting @skudupnorth's handiwork on the TPT car park

P1020540.jpg

Skolly doing his thing

P1020541.jpg

400bhp going for the breakaway

P1020551.jpg

Refreshments

P1020562.jpg

P1020567.jpg

On the pier

P1020572.jpg

Skolly doing it again :rolleyes:

P1020577.jpg

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
First ever 100km ride today,
Congrats.
I had started thinking that I was up to a speed that would safely see me join a club, but at an average of 16.5mph I think I still have a bit of work to do.
If you are talking 'road club', mine used to average around about 20mph for a 50 mile training ride.
Other types of cycling group/clubs go slower, perhaps check to see if you have a local CTC group (?). (www.ctc.org.uk)

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A nice 32 miler here today among the chalk hills east of Newmarket where the counties of Cambs and Suffolk tend to blur somewhat.

First to Dullingham, where at the dizzying altitude of almost 300 feet, there were some great views across Suffolk and Norfolk. Dreadful pic, but the two white things in the distance are at Feltwell air base in Norfolk. The round thing in the middle is Tattersalls in Newmarket, an auction house for eye wateringly expensive racehorses. It's also where I got married.
View to Norfolk.jpg

Further along, just after Cheveley, although it's another poor photo, the wind turbines in Swaffham, 30 miles away were visible, though not in the pic (cheap phones really are rubbish!). And who said East Anglia is flat?!
download.jpg

Then a visit to friends at Moulton, from where I looped home via Dalham, Kirtling and Woodditton. I avoid roads wherever possible, and had been dreading the B road south from Moulton, but in 5 miles, not a single car passed me. Bliss. This is the road, forming the county boundary at this point, with Suffolk on the left, Cambs on the right. The clouds were beginning to threaten rain, but luckily failed to deliver.
county line.jpg

After Kirtling, off the roads where I'm happiest, with a 4 mile or so stretch of bridleway.

bridleway.jpg

I then got slightly lost at a massive stud, where bemused jockey's wondered what the hell I was doing, but soon found my way again and spinned down off the chalk ridge home in no time.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
108 miles today to Southport and back on the TPT with @400bhp and @I like Skol
The deluge last night had left the trail a little on the wet side, enjoyable, eventful ride, some pics to give you a flavour of it.
It certainly was a super ride. I caught the sun as I forgot to apply the sunbloc in the morning before setting off.

Here's a pic of Potsy trying to copy my skilz-
0131024x768_zpsb8cd4a9f.jpg

And this is a picture taken shortly after we picked him up off the floor-
003768x1024_zpsa79063aa.jpg

And this is what it was all about, a trip to the end of Southport pier. This was the view on this lovely sunny day.
010_zps4e84b038.jpg

I hope your hand is ok Potsy, you seemed to be suffering quite badly by the end of the day. Maybe next year it will be my turn to fall off?

My ride was supposed to be an 'eye balls out' job but I got a message from a mate that he was planning a more relaxed ride, after coffee to meet them half way, which suited me as the inside of my calf felt a little tender. We pushed against a strong wind (21mph with 29mph gusts according to the met) for a bit but once we turned we were flying, especially when we spit in two (half heading to Oundle/ half heading to Peterborough), I followed the Oudle half. The average speed was boosted by a wind assisted dash along the A605. Its a reasonably busy road, not conjuicive to cycling but was shut for maintenance so we took the opportunity :thumbsup:
After sitting down to watch the end of the Tour of Poland I decided to go out for a wee recovery ride in the sunshine and picked a flat route so I could unwind and make it a recovery ride (A very Slow 33miles). I think it worked as the leg feals great this morning :becool:

Edit: I forgot to say when I went back in the evening the A605 was re-opened.
Edit 2 :blush: : I forgot the grumpy git we laughed at. As we were going up a long steep hill in the middle of knowhere we were 1/4 all over the road and two abreast he took it on board to furiously wave his displeasure at this :rolleyes:

Licramite

Über Member
This is more my ride for tomorrow (though I,m not sure which tomorow) - its only 55miles to west bay and I just copped a route that avoids all the big nastys I tackled on satarday to blandford forum - and back., that was 60miles - flat, and it wasn't flat..
Just need a break from work and some decent weather.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
2 rides again today.^_^ First I needed to head into town so took the trusty knockabout bike. Things were okay until I reached the Porthill area where it absolutely poured down, accompanied by thunder. It came on so quick I didn't have time to get my waterproofs out, so got a wee bit wet.

Heading back another downpour came on but i was ready for it this time and the rain cape kept me cosy.:thumbsup:

8.1 miles at a not very swift 11.7mph average.

DSC01734.JPG

Looking from Porthill Bridge with the pleasure boat "Sabrina" and a thundery sky in view.

DSC01735.JPG

More marquees are going up for the Flower Show. I say marquees, but they're more like portable girder framed buildings these days.

While in town I purchased a Specialized Riva saddle having liked the look of the one that my brother bought, and my second ride later in the day was to test it out on the Raleigh as I suspected a flatter saddle would suit me better than what I've currently got.

I headed out on my Acton Burnell route. The earlier showers had eased but not completely disappeared, so I did get slightly wet, but not as bad as earlier on.

Initial impressions were good but as I went round the ride I got more and more uncomfortable on the saddle until it was pretty unbearable. Me no like!:sad:

On the way round I managed to get in the slipstream for a lorry for a while - uphill for nearly a mile at 22 mph.:thumbsup: Unfortunately, I also had a local private hire driver beat the Belgian from yesterday for closest overtake of the year so far. :thumbsdown: There is no way he was sticking to the speed limit either.:angry:

17.1 uncomfortable miles at 14.5 mph average.

DSC01736.JPG

On the way to Condover. Someone is getting wet over there.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I rode a regular route, about 11.1 miles from home, to Wreningham, across to Hethel then up past Hethel Wood and the Lotus factory, through onto the cyclepath & then back to Wymondham. Its a nice route, flatish with about 80 feet of climbing (although endomondo thinks its less but My Tracks and Map My Ride agree at 79.8') and I put in a PB of 45.04, which might not be fast to some but its not to shoddy for me.
I had to get a shift on as the sun was setting and I hadn't put my lights on. I took my cheesePod with me (like an iPod but with a few dodgy tracks, guilty pleasures if you like) and listened to Manic Street Preachers all the way around until it suddenly leapt into a Roxette track that I didn't know I had.

Really pleased anyway. Hubby is yelling for tea so I had better skidaddle.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Here's a pic of Potsy trying to copy my skilz-
And this is a picture taken shortly after we picked him up off the floor-

I hope your hand is ok Potsy, you seemed to be suffering quite badly by the end of the day. Maybe next year it will be my turn to fall off?
I can't believe pictures of a scraped off the ground @potsy got 13 likes! See what you get for being cheeky on cycle chat? ;)
GWS and mind the acrobatics :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom